Chicago bound...

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MPS
Fleet Admiral

Chicago bound...

#1 Post by MPS »

Can anyone help me with this? My daughter and her fiance just found out they will be spending the next 4 years in Chicago :( and are unfamiliar with the territory. She will be at the Loyola University hospital in Maywood and he will be at the UIC hospital in the near west side. Anyone know a good place for them to start house hunting? Any neighborhoods to avoid? Oak Park looks like a good compromise to me, but it may be too suburban. The near west side looks industrial and kind of scary.

Thanks for any info at all.

Maureen
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Carmen
MPI

#2 Post by Carmen »

Steve is your man, I guess.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by MPS »

Thanks, Carmen. She has been in touch with a realtor...hopefully this will work out. Her hospital is not in the best part of town, and is 2000 miles from where they were hoping to end up. It would have been so much easier for everybody if they had been able to get back to California where both sets of parents live.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

Oak Park is indeed a great choice, home of Frank Lloyd Wright with many examples of his architectural genius in that town. It is close to the city, the Blue Line runs to Oak Park and to the UIC area, is proud of its diversity and many great Restaurants. I would steer clear of Maywood and Bellwood around Loyola but I also wouldn't rule out the area around UIC as with many urban areas, it is gentrifying. I live in a Loft in what is called The River West area about a mile and a half from the UIC area and there are many new lofts, townhouses and Condos in what is called West Town ot the near west side just west of the Loop very near UIC and is no longer scary and industrial.......Let me know if I can be of any more help.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MPS »

Thanks for the advice, Steve. I think they are leaning toward Little Italy, the University Village area (which I think are close to where you live) or Oak Park right now. It's become the condo vs house connundrum. I guess they need to decide whether to bring one car or two.

We have vacationed in Chicago in the past, but it is really different than picking a neighborhood to live. It's a completely different mindset.

You don't happen to know a good real estate agent? They are trying to find an agent online, but I think they would like to work with someone who is recommended.

Thank you so much!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

Three very good choices. Unfortunately, I don't know of any real estate agents in the area but I am sure they could get a heck of a deal right now. I would definitely put the srews to any agent when it comes to a Condo, the prices were way out of whack here for at least ten years if not longer. There are Condo's all over the Downtown area truly hurting to sell or converting to rental. What did they expect when you start charging $600.00 to $900.00 for association fees alone!!!

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MPS »

I am so used to the outrageous prices that California homes can still command, that the market in Chicago seems quite reasonable, on the surface. The nice 2 bed, 2 bath places all seem to be clustered between 325,000 and 350,000. The nasty part is adding on the HOA dues and the extra 30,000 for a parking place.....then it begins to look like California pricing.