Obscure Movie Recommendations

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Obscure Movie Recommendations

#16 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:32 pm Yes, these are definitely obscure. I've never heard of any of these. In fact, they're so obscure, I can't find them to watch them. I tried to get "Deceived" and "Sky Pirates", but so far nothing.

"Pocketful of Miracles"(1961) is a good light comedy (a bit sappy in places), fairly obscure. Here's the full movie:

youtu.be/72y_QodAN9s
I saw Deceived on VHS with my wife when we were first dating! She was in school at UC Santa Barbara and I was up there for the weekend. We had beers and burritos at her place and rented that piece of crap movie!!! :lol: I reminded her just now that it was her recommendation. It might still be a little too early. :lol: :lol: :lol: It was like 1995! I can’t say I feel bad it’s so obscure now.

MikeS
Admiral

#17 Post by MikeS »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:41 pm I saw Deceived on VHS with my wife when we were first dating! She was in school at UC Santa Barbara and I was up there for the weekend. We had beers and burritos at her place and rented that piece of crap movie!!! :lol: I reminded her just now that it was her recommendation. It might still be a little too early. :lol: :lol: :lol: It was like 1995! I can’t say I feel bad it’s so obscure now.
Sure, blame it on the wife :)

Deceived suffers like too many story lines, that is a lack of a good ending or maybe incomplete, not sure how to put it. It starts out interesting then the writers run out of ideas, struggle to resolve the plot so they go with a standard formula.

Note: Bitchute removed the channel that had The Pefect Weapon so I removed the link.
Last edited by MikeS on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#19 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:19 pm
MikeS wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:11 amDeceived suffers like too many story lines, that is a lack of a good ending or maybe incomplete, not sure how to put it. It starts out interesting then the writers run out of ideas, struggle to resolve the plot so they go with a standard formula.
Wha... you recommended a crap movie? I spent my time looking for a crap movie? Crap. This is supposed to be the thread for recommending obscure good movies. I can find plenty of obscure crap movies on my own. In fact, here's a few:

Want to see an obscure crap Mark Hamill 80's science fiction movie? Check out "Slipstream"(1989). How about a crap Rutger Hauer "buddy cop"/murder/alien-clone/science fiction movie? Check out "Split Second"(1992).

Oh well, I'll find out tonight just how crappy "Deceived" is. I better get drunk first.
It’s not total garbage, which can be even more frustrating if you spend time getting into it and then get a big let down. It’s an interesting premise but... I lost interest part way through and don’t even remember the end now. I may have fallen asleep if what my wife tells me is true! :lol: A few drinks might be the ticket.

NotthatRick
Admiral

#20 Post by NotthatRick »

A couple of movies that I enjoyed. Mystery Road. An Australian cop in a cowboy hat movie that I really liked. And, Man from Reno. A neat little independentt movie starring the old character actor Pepe Serna. I think that they may both be on YouTube. I liked them but your mileage may vary. :)

MikeS
Admiral

#21 Post by MikeS »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:19 pm
MikeS wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:11 amDeceived suffers like too many story lines, that is a lack of a good ending or maybe incomplete, not sure how to put it. It starts out interesting then the writers run out of ideas, struggle to resolve the plot so they go with a standard formula.
Wha... you recommended a crap movie? I spent my time looking for a crap movie? Crap. This is supposed to be the thread for recommending obscure good movies. I can find plenty of obscure crap movies on my own. In fact, here's a few:

Want to see an obscure crap Mark Hamill 80's science fiction movie? Check out "Slipstream"(1989). How about a crap Rutger Hauer "buddy cop"/murder/alien-clone/science fiction movie? Check out "Split Second"(1992).

Oh well, I'll find out tonight just how crappy "Deceived" is. I better get drunk first.
I don't recall describing the movies as crap, in fact I said I liked them despite any shortcomings.

Your response is a bit strange in comparison to your comment regarding Gymkata
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
80s Big Hair wrote: Gymkata (1985) is the cheesiest movie from the 80s that I can think of. As a child I remember seeing the TV ads for it and thinking it had to be the stupidest movie ever.
That's hilarious. I'm going to have to get that. (..and get drunk first)
MikeS

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

MikeS wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:50 am I don't recall describing the movies as crap, in fact I said I liked them despite any shortcomings.
You didn't describe it as crap, but Pahonu said "that piece of crap movie" and then you said "the writers run out of ideas, struggle to resolve the plot so they go with a standard formula" - so that sounded like crap to me.

Well I watched it last night and I can say now officially that it's... crap. I tried to get into it, I really did, but I just couldn't get drunk enough. (...lousy 12% wine!)

Too bad - the preview looked pretty good.
MikeS wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:50 am Your response is a bit strange in comparison to your comment regarding Gymkata
But that movie looked so bad it was funny.

Please don't take my comments too seriously. I'm usually half-joking, as I was in that comment. I appreciated your recommendations. :)

I'm also sure that some of the movies I like will be "crap" to somebody else.

Amian
Admiral

#23 Post by Amian »

Not sure if this is obscure, but since we're on a forum about a show from the 1980s I will throw Better Off Dead into the mix. It's a teen movie with John Cusack and I've always loved it.

With Tarantino, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I think he's usually good, especially in the 90s. In the last ten years or so, would say that Inglorious Basterds and Once Upon A Time in Hollywood are his best.

Pahonu

#24 Post by Pahonu »

Amian wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:14 pm Not sure if this is obscure, but since we're on a forum about a show from the 1980s I will throw Better Off Dead into the mix. It's a teen movie with John Cusack and I've always loved it.

With Tarantino, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I think he's usually good, especially in the 90s. In the last ten years or so, would say that Inglorious Basterds and Once Upon A Time in Hollywood are his best.
My wife loves this movie for some reason... Me not so much. :lol: I did watch it with her. Very weird and quirky characters.

Amian
Admiral

#25 Post by Amian »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 pm
Amian wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:14 pm Not sure if this is obscure, but since we're on a forum about a show from the 1980s I will throw Better Off Dead into the mix. It's a teen movie with John Cusack and I've always loved it.

My wife loves this movie for some reason... Me not so much. :lol: I did watch it with her. Very weird and quirky characters.
Your wife has impeccable taste in movies! Or maybe she just had a crush on John Cusack. :wink:
Definitely a quirky movie and pretty campy, but for me it all works. Funnily enough, I like it and my wife is the one who doesn't like it as much.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale... a tale of a fateful night... a night watching a horrible movie called KING SOLOMON'S MINES! :shock:

Yes, the 1985 version from the Cannon Group, Golan-Globus guys. Yikes!! :o

To start off... I had heard how horrible the film was but finally decided to check it out. I had just seen FIREWALKER, another Cannon production, which I actually kinda enjoyed. That's another one that gets bashed regularly. See, I like ol' Chuck and think he and Louis Gossett, Jr. actually had good chemistry together. I also enjoy a lot of the Cannon films - everything from MISSING IN ACTION and DELTA FORCE to Michael Dudikoff in AVENGING FORCE and AMERICAN NINJA. Some of the Chuck Bronson films too from the Cannon group. But it seems like in the mid-80s Golan and Globus got on the Indiana Jones bandwagon and started ripping off those films, with a limited budget of course. The result is either very little action (as in FIREWALKER, which I didn't mind) or lots of action with bad effects and terrible rear projection (as in KING SOLOMON'S MINES, which I also didn't mind too much). Actually the latter kicked off with a rousing Jerry Goldsmith score which immediately put a smile on my face and put me in the right mood. I was ready to turn off my brain and enjoy the kind of silly 80s adventure movie that they don't make anymore. I don't mind cornball too much. And then when we got to some really good action on a moving train I was really enjoying myself! Sure, there were goofs and things sped-up and some bad rear projection. But that's par for the course, right? It's Cannon. I was enjoying it more than FIREWALKER which didn't have anything close to this kind of kinetic action.

So what's wrong with the movie?? Well, the second half. :? Oh boy, some of the most bizarre and head-scratching stuff I've ever witnessed in an "adventure" movie. Everything from explosive water in a cave to a cackling witch to a man-eating giant spider to some weird nondescript creature living underwater in said cave to people living upside down in trees. Sheesh!!! I was ready for a bad Indy knock-off but at some point you gotta draw the line and say "Hey, this isn't even accidentally amusing or creative. You people really don't know what the crap you're doing with this movie and just making up crazy stuff as you go along". Even as a straight-up parody it's bad. Mel Brooks these guys aren't. Herbert Lom and John Rhys-Davies are the most bizarre villainous duo you're ever likely to come across. It was kinda amusing at first but by the end... I just wanted to shoot them myself.

Avoid at all costs!! Listen to the excellent Jerry Goldsmith score on YouTube and then check out FIREWALKER instead to see a good "bad movie".

Pahonu

#27 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:11 pm Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale... a tale of a fateful night... a night watching a horrible movie called KING SOLOMON'S MINES! :shock:

Yes, the 1985 version from the Cannon Group, Golan-Globus guys. Yikes!! :o

To start off... I had heard how horrible the film was but finally decided to check it out. I had just seen FIREWALKER, another Cannon production, which I actually kinda enjoyed. That's another one that gets bashed regularly. See, I like ol' Chuck and think he and Louis Gossett, Jr. actually had good chemistry together. I also enjoy a lot of the Cannon films - everything from MISSING IN ACTION and DELTA FORCE to Michael Dudikoff in AVENGING FORCE and AMERICAN NINJA. Some of the Chuck Bronson films too from the Cannon group. But it seems like in the mid-80s Golan and Globus got on the Indiana Jones bandwagon and started ripping off those films, with a limited budget of course. The result is either very little action (as in FIREWALKER, which I didn't mind) or lots of action with bad effects and terrible rear projection (as in KING SOLOMON'S MINES, which I also didn't mind too much). Actually the latter kicked off with a rousing Jerry Goldsmith score which immediately put a smile on my face and put me in the right mood. I was ready to turn off my brain and enjoy the kind of silly 80s adventure movie that they don't make anymore. I don't mind cornball too much. And then when we got to some really good action on a moving train I was really enjoying myself! Sure, there were goofs and things sped-up and some bad rear projection. But that's par for the course, right? It's Cannon. I was enjoying it more than FIREWALKER which didn't have anything close to this kind of kinetic action.

So what's wrong with the movie?? Well, the second half. :? Oh boy, some of the most bizarre and head-scratching stuff I've ever witnessed in an "adventure" movie. Everything from explosive water in a cave to a cackling witch to a man-eating giant spider to some weird nondescript creature living underwater in said cave to people living upside down in trees. Sheesh!!! I was ready for a bad Indy knock-off but at some point you gotta draw the line and say "Hey, this isn't even accidentally amusing or creative. You people really don't know what the crap you're doing with this movie and just making up crazy stuff as you go along". Even as a straight-up parody it's bad. Mel Brooks these guys aren't. Herbert Lom and John Rhys-Davies are the most bizarre villainous duo you're ever likely to come across. It was kinda amusing at first but by the end... I just wanted to shoot them myself.

Avoid at all costs!! Listen to the excellent Jerry Goldsmith score on YouTube and then check out FIREWALKER instead to see a good "bad movie".
You’re referring to the Richard Chamberlain version, I believe. I’ve never seen it, but the earlier version with Stewart Granger and Deborah Kerr is entertaining enough. There’s a much older version with Paul Robeson that I’ve read about but haven’t found yet. I recall it was remade again with Patrick Swayze. I never bothered with that one either.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:48 pm
You’re referring to the Richard Chamberlain version, I believe. I’ve never seen it, but the earlier version with Stewart Granger and Deborah Kerr is entertaining enough. There’s a much older version with Paul Robeson that I’ve read about but haven’t found yet. I recall it was remade again with Patrick Swayze. I never bothered with that one either.
Yep, that's the one! Chamberlain plays adventurer Allan Quartermaine. Apparently there's a sequel.... something, something, and the City of Gold. Whatever. Even those who like this movie say to stay clear of that one, and I hated this one. So you can bet I'm steering clear. For my sanity. Sheesh. :roll: Someone posted a link to THE PERFECT WEAPON with Jeff Speakman here a few posts up - let me just watch that one instead. I caught it a long time ago and remember it being pretty good. But it was so long ago. If I'm gonna watch something it better not be total dreck. After all, I've still got seasons 4-8 of MPI to see. Yeah, I know, I know. What am I doing on an obscure movie thread then, right?

Oh, did I mention Sharon Stone!!? Double yikes!! :o :o Everything that comes out of her mouth sounds like something a 5-year-old would utter. And all that shrill screaming and forced acting attempt at giddy bravura. One minute she looks sedated like she's in a romantic high school play, the next she's grinning like an idiot and hopping and flailing around like she's high on some serious drugs. People who complain about Kate Capshaw in TEMPLE OF DOOM should check out Stone in this one. Her "performance" can only be described as "stoned". After seeing this they'll never complain about Mrs. Spielberg again.

MikeS
Admiral

#29 Post by MikeS »

I'm really bummed, I had 4 or 5 Bitchute channels bookmarked that had some classic movies I enjoyed, sadly the channels have been pulled including the channel that had The Perfect Weapon. Sorry!!! :(
MikeS

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.