Inside the Vietnam War

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Inside the Vietnam War

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

Anyone catch National Geographic's "Inside the Vietnam War" on the NG Channel? I've seen quite a few documentaries on the Vietnam War, but this one, IMHO, is the best I've ever seen. It's extremely well done. Afterwards, I was an emotional wreck and had trouble sleeping. A powerful documentary to say the least!

The same team did "Inside 9/11", which had such a profound effect on me, I almost couldn't get out of my chair afterwards!

If you get a chance, I highly recommend viewing both of these.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#2 Post by SelleckLover »

I probably won't be watching the show because my husband doesn't really like to watch shows that have the Viet Nam war as a theme. He says: "Why would I want to watch this? I LIVED it for four years."

However, I think it is good to have these kind movies for the generations that come after us Baby-Boomers to view, as long as they are factual and historically accurate.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

SelleckLover, just to be clear, it's not a movie. It's a three-hour documentary. And it includes LOTS of interviews with Vets who were there.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

Re: Inside the Vietnam War

#4 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:Anyone catch National Geographic's "Inside the Vietnam War" on the NG Channel? I've seen quite a few documentaries on the Vietnam War, but this one, IMHO, is the best I've ever seen. It's extremely well done. Afterwards, I was an emotional wreck and had trouble sleeping. A powerful documentary to say the least!

The same team did "Inside 9/11", which had such a profound effect on me, I almost couldn't get out of my chair afterwards!

If you get a chance, I highly recommend viewing both of these.
Thanks for the information James. I will have to check it out. My oldest brother was a Marine in Vietnam from '67 through '68. He was in the Battle of Hue during the Tet Offensive. Several years ago The Learning Channel (TLC) put together a multi-part series on the Vietnam War. I watched all of the separate parts but taped the part dealing with the Tet Offensive in the hopes of catching a glimpse of my brother. Sure enough, there he was in three separate shots in combat at the Citadel. I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

The Battle of Hue largely involved hand-to-hand combat while the Marines attempted to take the Citadel (which they did), which included house-to-house fighting. It was considered the bloodiest battle the Marines had been in since WWII. His photo is also in a book I have on the Vietnam War. When I was 15, I was at our local mall with my Mom and went to B. Dalton, and I immediately went to the U.S. History section and looked through every book on the Vietnam War, and there his photo was. The photo was also taken while he was at Hue. To this day, whenever I'm at a bookstrore I still scan all of the books on Vietnam looking for his photo.

Although I have never really heard my brother talk about his Vietnam War experiences, he did ask for the tape, which I graciously gave to him. I watched the tape with him and he recognized many faces. It is because of him that I have such a keen interest in the Vietnam War.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

SelleckLover

#5 Post by SelleckLover »

Sorry James! :oops: You're right, I should have used the word "documentaries" in the place of "movies". Don't get me wrong I would certainly like to watch it, but probably won't get to. :D

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#6 Post by golfmobile »

James,

I just checked my scheduling for DirecTV, and this show is going to be shown again on this coming Sunday and Monday (2/24 and 2/25) at 4 p.m. Eastern time.

Inside 9/11 is going to be on Saturday at noon.

SL, if you want me to record it and make a DVD so you can watch it when you have the chance when you are alone, just let me know. Or you could even watch it on your computer and your husband wouldn't have to be exposed to it, if it makes him uncomfortable. Or after you view it, you might be able to let him know if it is something he might be interested in seeing.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover

#7 Post by SelleckLover »

Thank you for the offer golf! I'm sure at some point I will catch it when Jim is not home. Probably later than sooner. I taped a documentary called "The Hanoi Hilton" once, that left me a blubbering mass of jelly when it was over. I'd highly recommend it if you see it on again. Jim didn't want to see that one either. After being married to him for almost 35 years I pretty much know him! :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, no problem SelleckLover. I just wanted to make sure you didn't think it was a movie. There are too many bad Vietnam War movies out there. ;)
IslandHopper wrote:Thanks for the information James. I will have to check it out. My oldest brother was a Marine in Vietnam from '67 through '68. He was in the Battle of Hue during the Tet Offensive. Several years ago The Learning Channel (TLC) put together a multi-part series on the Vietnam War. I watched all of the separate parts but taped the part dealing with the Tet Offensive in the hopes of catching a glimpse of my brother. Sure enough, there he was in three separate shots in combat at the Citadel. I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

The Battle of Hue largely involved hand-to-hand combat while the Marines attempted to take the Citadel (which they did), which included house-to-house fighting. It was considered the bloodiest battle the Marines had been in since WWII. His photo is also in a book I have on the Vietnam War. When I was 15, I was at our local mall with my Mom and went to B. Dalton, and I immediately went to the U.S. History section and looked through every book on the Vietnam War, and there his photo was. The photo was also taken while he was at Hue. To this day, whenever I'm at a bookstrore I still scan all of the books on Vietnam looking for his photo.

Although I have never really heard my brother talk about his Vietnam War experiences, he did ask for the tape, which I graciously gave to him. I watched the tape with him and he recognized many faces. It is because of him that I have such a keen interest in the Vietnam War.
Man, the Battle of Hue. Your brother went through hell and back. A nasty, nasty battle. I couldn't even begin to imagine what it must have been like to be in something like that.

All I can say is, to all who have bravely served our country - THANK YOU!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#9 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:All I can say is, to all who have bravely served our country - THANK YOU!
James, I second your THANK YOU! :)
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

SelleckLover

#10 Post by SelleckLover »

My husband Jim says: "You're welcome."

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

IslandHopper wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:All I can say is, to all who have bravely served our country - THANK YOU!
James, I second your THANK YOU! :)
Well, as a french, I'm admiring your great spirit, in the USA.

In France, we had our Viet-Nam war too, you know, which ended with a defeat for us in 1954, May 7th, at Dien Bien Phu, which was the final phase of the Indochina war, the longest, most furious battle of the French Expeditionary Corps : 170 days of confrontation, 57 days of hell and despite the defeat, I admire our military past and the courage of our army, especially our commando parachutists and great Men like General Bigeard, a real hero in Dien-Bien-Phu.
Unfortunately, a large majority of french people (infected by our numerous mass media of the far left wing) are ashamed of this past and of what we did in Viet-Nam, in Algeria and elsewhere.

Don't change your spirit, you'll remain a great nation.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#12 Post by IslandHopper »

Jean-Claude Fornier wrote:Well, as a french, I'm admiring your great spirit, in the USA.
That is nice to know. Thank you Jean-Claude Fornier. :)