For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: The Now Playing Thread!

#76 Post by J.J. Walters »

In honor of my mother who passed away on Memorial Day... :cry:

youtu.be/I-2t_KDVs-w
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

That's tragic - and far more important than any trivial TV show. There's nothing that can be said that isn't a cliché that has been said a thousand times. We always have to remember that death is a natural part of life, unavoidable, and something that awaits us ALL. There is an end to everything - even planets, stars and galaxies die to be reborn into new patterns.

I like to think that the life force is recycled, used in another new life. (yes, another unoriginal observation - but I think it would be far more interesting to start again learning everything new, experiencing the joys of life again - with the power of youthful life, rather than living extended boring repetition in an aging body.)

The key is to remember the person - as accurately as possible - and then they will always exist in your memories.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#78 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:In honor of my mother who passed away on Memorial Day... :cry:

youtu.be/I-2t_KDVs-w
JJ, I'm so sorry for your loss . . .
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:That's tragic - and far more important than any trivial TV show. There's nothing that can be said that isn't a cliché that has been said a thousand times. We always have to remember that death is a natural part of life, unavoidable, and something that awaits us ALL. There is an end to everything - even planets, stars and galaxies die to be reborn into new patterns.

I like to think that the life force is recycled, used in another new life. (yes, another unoriginal observation - but I think it would be far more interesting to start again learning everything new, experiencing the joys of life again - with the power of youthful life, rather than living extended boring repetition in an aging body.)

The key is to remember the person - as accurately as possible - and then they will always exist in your memories.

Well said.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#79 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thank you Mad Kudu and Conch. I appreciate it. She was a strong woman who was always there for me. I don't normally post about private matters, but I felt compelled to post that song as a tribute to her, the most beautiful song I've ever heard about one's Mummy (as John would say). I remember being drawn to it even as a young lad when I first dropped the needle on the White Album. God bless you John! Thank you for writing and singing that song!

ConchRepublican

#80 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:Thank you Mad Kudu and Conch. I appreciate it. She was a strong woman who was always there for me. I don't normally post about private matters, but I felt compelled to post that song as a tribute to her, the most beautiful song I've ever heard about one's Mummy (as John would say). I remember being drawn to it even as a young lad when I first dropped the needle on the White Album. God bless you John! Thank you for writing and singing that song!
Thank you for trusting us with your feelings JJ. It's amazing the connection we have between music and memories. I hear the opening guitar of The Hollies Air That I Breathe and I timeslip to 5 years old, playing with my soldiers on the floor, under my parent's dresser, while my mom is cleaning the house. The windows are open, the curtains are blowing in the wind and she's singing along, long blonde hair swinging. I can almost feel the carpet, the breeze and smell the air.

youtu.be/_wACCgCCjRc
CoziTV Superfan spot

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Thank you Mad Kudu and Conch. I appreciate it. She was a strong woman who was always there for me. I don't normally post about private matters, but I felt compelled to post that song as a tribute to her, the most beautiful song I've ever heard about one's Mummy (as John would say). I remember being drawn to it even as a young lad when I first dropped the needle on the White Album. God bless you John! Thank you for writing and singing that song!
Thank you for trusting us with your feelings JJ. It's amazing the connection we have between music and memories. I hear the opening guitar of The Hollies Air That I Breathe and I timeslip to 5 years old, playing with my soldiers on the floor, under my parent's dresser, while my mom is cleaning the house. The windows are open, the curtains are blowing in the wind and she's singing along, long blonde hair swinging. I can almost feel the carpet, the breeze and smell the air.

youtu.be/_wACCgCCjRc
First of all, so sorry for the loss of your "Mummy" JJ, I lost mine just this past March and still miss her. Now for Peter, oh my god! That Hollies song is one of my all time favorites thank you so much for including it.....

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

ConchRepublican wrote:It's amazing the connection we have between music and memories. I hear the opening guitar of The Hollies Air That I Breathe and I timeslip to 5 years old, playing with my soldiers on the floor, under my parent's dresser, while my mom is cleaning the house. The windows are open, the curtains are blowing in the wind and she's singing along, long blonde hair swinging. I can almost feel the carpet, the breeze and smell the air.

youtu.be/_wACCgCCjRc
I know exactly what you're talking about Conch, and I too have memories as a child at home with my mom as she's doing things around the house playing music and singing, and she loved Bread. This song especially brings back memories. Many people think it's about an ex-lover but David Gates actually wrote it about the death of his father....

youtu.be/-Q1kB0R4Ijs

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by Little Garwood »

Lately I've been in a huge Soul/R&B mood. Specifically stuff from the late '60s and early '70s. Currently enjoying "Stop, Look, Listen (to Your Heart)" by the Stylistics.

youtu.be/7XSXGzp304U
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Steve »

Love that music Little G, thanks for posting. Some current artists are channeling that great music, check out Raphael Saadiq (he was in Tony-Toni-Tone")

youtu.be/g4dyRzvA7D4

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Little Garwood »

Wow, Tony-Toni-Tony! I completely forgot about them!

As for The Stylistics, there's a video on YouTube in which a Vietnam vet interviews Stylistics singer Russell Thompkins and discusses his experience first hearing "Stop, Look, Listen" when he was on leave from Vietnam.

~Tom Selleck

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#86 Post by J.J. Walters »

Love that Hollies song, too! :)

RG, your Bread selection just reminded me of one my Mom's very favorite songs. I think of Bread and Seals & Croft as almost being one in the same. Talk about memories, wow!... I'm gonna lose it again. :cry:

youtu.be/MsW8rXPcnM0

ConchRepublican

#87 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:

youtu.be/_wACCgCCjRc
First of all, so sorry for the loss of your "Mummy" JJ, I lost mine just this past March and still miss her. Now for Peter, oh my god! That Hollies song is one of my all time favorites thank you so much for including it.....
Wow Steve, I'm so sorry for your loss as well. 2018 had not been kind to the Maniacs so far. The deepest condolences from Mrs. Conch and I.
CoziTV Superfan spot

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#88 Post by J.J. Walters »

Me too, Steve! I missed that in my above post. You have my deepest condolences. 2018 has indeed been a tough year!

ConchRepublican

#89 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:Lately I've been in a huge Soul/R&B mood. Specifically stuff from the late '60s and early '70s. Currently enjoying "Stop, Look, Listen (to Your Heart)" by the Stylistics.

youtu.be/7XSXGzp304U
Nicely done Little Garwood! All I usually need is a little tap and I fall back into a Soul/R&B groove. I love the Four Tops, Jackie Wilson, the Temptations, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, the list is long. Fun stuff like this too

youtu.be/UwlGn7uORYg

Have you seen Standing in the Shadows of Motown? Great documentary about The Funk Brothers. Right up there with The Wrecking Crew doc IMHO.

youtu.be/Rbo3EWhM

youtu.be/pynm-qfhhIA
CoziTV Superfan spot

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by Little Garwood »

Thanks for the FYI on those documentaries. I've been on the lookout for decent R&B/Soul retrospectives. The one on Soul Train--"Hippest Trip", I believe--is well-worth watching, as well.

I'm still on a Delfonics-Spinners-Stylistics kick. I especially enjoy The Stylistics. Thom Bell was the composer/producer/all-around wizard behind all three of those groups.

~Tom Selleck