Murder, She Wrote - Magnum on Ice

Rate, review & discuss the Simon & Simon and Murder, She Wrote crossover episodes

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
2%
9.5 (One of the Best)
7%
9.0 (Excellent)
7%
8.5 (Very Good)
16%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
20%
7.5 (Decent)
5%
7.0 (Average at Best)
9%
6.5 (Not So Good)
14%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
9%
5.0 (Just Awful)
11%

Total votes: 44

paul10
Ensign

Re: Murder, She Wrote - Magnum on Ice

#61 Post by paul10 »

For those who grew up with Magnum P.I. :

I just discovered a new website that enables you to multiple sign an e-card and send it by email. So I decided to create a Thank You Card for our guru, the unique and inimitable Donald P. Bellisario.

Pls sign it (of course it's free) to let him know we think he is a genius!!!

https://www.leavingcard.com/gb/viewpdf/ ... 111127.pdf

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by charybdis1966 »

I caught this episode recently and enjoyed it for the most part.
I haven't seen the Magnum PI episode that was the first part of this story so I relied on Jessica Fletcher's recap. Like a previous poster I noticed the difference in film quality which was probably due to budgetary differences between the two series although more importantly the characterisations were consistent yet I noticed TS may have dialled down his performance,; I suspect it was due to the MSW director having a different viewpoint on how to direct TS to the directors on MPI.

Shame we couldn't see Rick and TC but I understand there was only enough screen time for so many characters.

For some reason I thought the Joan Fulton character was played by Stephanie Beacham - she certainly had her look. I love a vampish villan like her.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Little Garwood »

charybdis1966 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:21 pm For some reason I thought the Joan Fulton character was played by Stephanie Beacham - she certainly had her look. I love a vampish villan like her.
Jessica Walter would have been fairly well known or at least recognizable to US viewers when the episode aired, as she was a ubiquitous presence on American TV.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#64 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:53 pm
charybdis1966 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:21 pm For some reason I thought the Joan Fulton character was played by Stephanie Beacham - she certainly had her look. I love a vampish villan like her.
Jessica Walter would have been fairly well known or at least recognizable to US viewers when the episode aired, as she was a ubiquitous presence on American TV.
Definitely!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:37 pm
Definitely!
Plus she had already asked Clint to play misty for her. :)

Pahonu

#66 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:08 pm
Definitely!
Hey Ivan,
Did I ever mention that Play Misty for Me is my favorite Eastwood film? Not only were my wife and I on the Central Coast just this week, including Carmel where he was mayor and owned a restaurant we ate at (Hog’s Breath), I also met him back in the early 90’s at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. When I told him the same about the film, he was very gracious, thanking me and giving me a little fist to the shoulder to another tall guy as he said, and a genuine “Thanks.” This was around the time Unforgiven came out and he was making a bit of a comeback. Misty was his directorial debut and I think he appreciated the comment as he also directed Unforgiven.

Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:48 pm
Definitely!
Hey Ivan,
Did I ever mention that Play Misty for Me is my favorite Eastwood film? Not only were my wife and I on the Central Coast just this week, including Carmel where he was mayor and owned a restaurant we ate at (Hog’s Breath), I also met him back in the early 90’s at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. When I told him the same about the film, he was very gracious, thanking me and giving me a little fist to the shoulder to another tall guy as he said, and a genuine “Thanks.” This was around the time Unforgiven came out and he was making a bit of a comeback. Misty was his directorial debut and I think he appreciated the comment as he also directed Unforgiven.
PLAY MISTY was a good little suspenser from the early 70s for sure. A precursor to the better known FATAL ATTRACTION. Of course Jessica Walter isn't in Glenn Close's league in the crazy-scary department but for the time it was made it was quite good. I do dig that early 70s film vibe overall and that Carmel California coastline is sort of a character on its own. For Clint's directorial debut it was pretty good. Of course it's nowhere near my favorite Eastwood film and I prefer Don Siegel's DIRTY HARRY from the same year by quite a margin. But I do prefer MISTY over Siegel's THE BEGUILED from the same year too.

Oh and maybe it's an unpopular opinion but I always thought his Oscar opus UNFORGIVEN was overrated. I prefer pretty much all his prior Westerns to that one, even his "lesser" PALE RIDER from 1985. I just feel like his 1992 "masterpiece" is more of a celebration-of-westerns kind of a film (at a time when westerns were pretty much a thing of the past) and a "let's see if I can grab an Oscar with this one" kind of a film. It kind of has an air of self-importance about it. Whereas Eastwood's earlier westerns were just that.... Eastwood westerns (with a touch of Sergio Leone in them). They weren't shooting for any Oscars with those. That made them more entertaining and more "accessible". Of course his Leone trilogy are his very best!!! Then comes the outstanding HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER from 1973 which was the first western that Clint himself directed. Then OUTLAW JOSEY WALES (also directed by Clint). Even in the 70s when Duke Wayne was slowly fading away Clint was still keeping the western genre alive. But by the 80s it seemed like the western was dead (with the exception of Clint's PALE RIDER and Kasdan's SILVERADO - both from 1985). So by 1992 making a western seemed more like for Oscar purposes as opposed to it being just another film in the genre.

Pahonu

#68 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:49 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:48 pm

Definitely!
Hey Ivan,
PLAY MISTY was a good little suspenser from the early 70s for sure. A precursor to the better known FATAL ATTRACTION. Of course Jessica Walter isn't in Glenn Close's league in the crazy-scary department but for the time it was made it was quite good. I do dig that early 70s film vibe overall and that Carmel California coastline is sort of a character on its own. For Clint's directorial debut it was pretty good. Of course it's nowhere near my favorite Eastwood film and I prefer Don Siegel's DIRTY HARRY from the same year by quite a margin. But I do prefer MISTY over Siegel's THE BEGUILED from the same year too.

Oh and maybe it's an unpopular opinion but I always thought his Oscar opus UNFORGIVEN was overrated. I prefer pretty much all his prior Westerns to that one, even his "lesser" PALE RIDER from 1985. I just feel like his 1992 "masterpiece" is more of a celebration-of-westerns kind of a film (at a time when westerns were pretty much a thing of the past) and a "let's see if I can grab an Oscar with this one" kind of a film. It kind of has an air of self-importance about it. Whereas Eastwood's earlier westerns were just that.... Eastwood westerns (with a touch of Sergio Leone in them). They weren't shooting for any Oscars with those. That made them more entertaining and more "accessible". Of course his Leone trilogy are his very best!!! Then comes the outstanding HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER from 1973 which was the first western that Clint himself directed. Then OUTLAW JOSEY WALES (also directed by Clint). Even in the 70s when Duke Wayne was slowly fading away Clint was still keeping the western genre alive. But by the 80s it seemed like the western was dead (with the exception of Clint's PALE RIDER and Kasdan's SILVERADO - both from 1985). So by 1992 making a western seemed more like for Oscar purposes as opposed to it being just another film in the genre.
I’m not a huge fan of westerns in general but have seen and enjoyed many. I saw Unforgiven in the theater and it was well done, but I remember even more that it was touted as the comeback of the genre. In all honesty is likely was. Pale Rider and Silverado were basically the only westerns made in the entire 80’s after the massive failure of Heaven’s Gate. “The western is dead” was a popular quote in Hollywood. Unforgiven reopened that door, I think, and in a way it was a celebration of westerns as you said.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Little Garwood »

I admire the first two Dirty Harry films, the Leone "Man With No Name" trilogy, Unforgiven, and The Eiger Sanction. Outside of those, my Eastwood admiration comes and goes. There's a mean-spirited ugliness in several of his movies that rubs me the wrong way. It's something I recognized but didn't completely understand when I watched those films as a child. I also like Hang 'em High, which introduced me to the brilliant Pat Hingle, who is great in that film.

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu

#70 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:13 pm I admire the first two Dirty Harry films, the Leone "Man With No Name" trilogy, Unforgiven, and The Eiger Sanction. Outside of those, my Eastwood admiration comes and goes. There's a mean-spirited ugliness in several of his movies that rubs me the wrong way. It's something I recognized but didn't completely understand when I watched those films as a child. I also like Hang 'em High, which introduced me to the brilliant Pat Hingle, who is great in that film.
Pat Hingle is a favorite of mine too. If I see he’s a guest star on anything, I’ll record it. I have several actors that I do the same for their work.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by Little Garwood »

Hingle's performance in The Twilight Zone episode The Incredible World of Horace Ford is not considered among the series' greatest moments, but I find much to appreciate about it.

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu

#72 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:39 pm Image

Hingle's performance in The Twilight Zone episode The Incredible World of Horace Ford is not considered among the series' greatest moments, but I find much to appreciate about it.
Yes, he’s the toy designer who can’t let go of his childhood and revisits it… literally. I enjoyed it very much.

Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:13 pm I admire the first two Dirty Harry films, the Leone "Man With No Name" trilogy, Unforgiven, and The Eiger Sanction. Outside of those, my Eastwood admiration comes and goes. There's a mean-spirited ugliness in several of his movies that rubs me the wrong way. It's something I recognized but didn't completely understand when I watched those films as a child. I also like Hang 'em High, which introduced me to the brilliant Pat Hingle, who is great in that film.
DIRTY HARRY and MAGNUM FORCE are really the only 2 Dirty Harry films worth having in one's collection (they're just plain great 70s action/cop films, period - among my favorite films from the 70s). The other 3 were a major step down - watch 'em once and forget about 'em. Although the finale of SUDDEN IMPACT in the amusement park (looking very noirish) accompanied by a wicked Lalo Schifrin score is pretty awesome. But the rest of the film not so much. Also it does have that mean-spirited ugliness about it that you mentioned (similar to the DEATH WISH films) that make you feel unclean for being a participant observer of the whole thing. Unless you were talking about mean-spirited ugliness in his westerns which I haven't really noticed. His westerns can be a bit edgy but they're solid entertainment and don't come across as exploitative. As for THE EIGER SANCTION I remember being really bored by the first half of the film (all those preparation/exercise/practice stuff before the actual mission) but then when they actually get to climb the Eiger that stuff was pretty hair-raising! So overall a mixed bag for me. I just remember REALLY wanting to see that one for many years - spies, Alps, mountain climbing, Eastwood. How could it go wrong? So I was less than thrilled when I finally saw it. I expected it to be my favorite film from 1975 but Charles Bronson's BREAKHEART PASS (trains, mountains, snow, spies, etc.) has it beat hands down!!! Including a great Jerry Goldsmith score that's superior to John Williams' score for EIGER.

Another very underrated Eastwood flick (maybe his MOST underrated) is 1977's THE GAUNTLET. Love that film! The best team-up of Eastwood and his then-wife Sondra Locke. She's actually great in that role as a hooker with a big mouth. That one could have been a great DIRTY HARRY sequel instead of the sequels that we got. Except Eastwood's cop character in that one is quite a bit different (a bit of a loser, not too bright) than his Dirty Harry role.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Little Garwood »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:45 pm Unless you were talking about mean-spirited ugliness in his westerns which I haven't really noticed. His westerns can be a bit edgy but they're solid entertainment and don't come across as exploitative. As for THE EIGER SANCTION I remember being really bored by the first half of the film (all those preparation/exercise/practice stuff before the actual mission) but then when they actually get to climb the Eiger that stuff was pretty hair-raising! So overall a mixed bag for me. I just remember REALLY wanting to see that one for many years - spies, Alps, mountain climbing, Eastwood. How could it go wrong? So I was less than thrilled when I finally saw it. I expected it to be my favorite film from 1975 but Charles Bronson's BREAKHEART PASS (trains, mountains, snow, spies, etc.) has it beat hands down!!! Including a great Jerry Goldsmith score that's superior to John Williams' score for EIGER.
High Plains Drifter has that ugliness, too. IIRC, The Beguiled and Joe Kidd also have it, to a lesser degree. I haven't watched the latter two in years, however.

What I like best about The Eiger Sanction is the reverse of what you like about it! I much prefer the first half of the film. I like that Eastwood is an art professor who only takes the job in order to support his art "habit"! I also enjoy Eastwood's non-stop smartassery!

Not to mention: Jack Cassidy AND Thayer David in the same film and playing eccentrics, to put it mildly, makes this one a keeper for me.

I prefer Goldsmith in general, but in this instance I like Williams' Eiger score best; the main title is incredibly catchy. If Williams ever did a Columbo, the score would probably sound like the main title of The Eiger Sanction. The main theme for Breakheart Pass sounds like the younger brother of Goldsmith's earlier score, Bandolero!

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:45 pm High Plains Drifter has that ugliness, too. IIRC, The Beguiled and Joe Kidd also have it, to a lesser degree. I haven't watched the latter two in years, however.
High Plains Drifter may be a bit violent (but really no more than his earlier Spaghetti Westerns by Leone) compared to, say, a John Wayne western, but overall it's pretty tame by today's standards. I don't really see too much ugliness in it either. His urban crime flicks/actioners have more of that in my opinion. But really, I love HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER. After his Spaghetti Westerns, it's my favorite Eastwood western! The whole mythical figure/ghost thing they have going in it really adds something special to the film. Making it not just another western, like JOE KIDD for instance.