Simon & Simon - Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend

Rate, review & discuss the Simon & Simon and Murder, She Wrote crossover episodes

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
6%
9.5 (One of the Best)
6%
9.0 (Excellent)
21%
8.5 (Very Good)
15%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
6%
7.0 (Average at Best)
9%
6.5 (Not So Good)
9%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 47

80s Big Hair
Admiral

Re:

#46 Post by 80s Big Hair »

SelleckLover wrote:This just goes to back up a post I made a few months back. There ARE NO new plots in episodic TV anymore! They've all been done and then some! If you've been watching TV for as long as I have, you've seen them all. (My first recollection of TV watching was "The Mickey Mouse Club" in the 1950's.)
Some are just done better than others! JMHO! :D
Some believe that there are only 7 basic stories. See this book if you care to know more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots I am not sure whether or not I buy this theory, but it is interesting.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Simon & Simon - Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend

#47 Post by Little Garwood »

K Hale wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:29 pm
Yes, it was like a template. No one thing sounded wrong, it was all just so contrived and superficial. Poor writing.

Hate to say it but even though I liked this crossover better than the MSW one, the MSW writers wrote the MPI characters better.
The MSW crossover—which I also like a great deal, has “info dump” dialogue, and while it’s just one line, it really stands out.

It’s when Magnum agrees to go in with T.C. and Rick on the hotel real estate deal. Magnum says something like, “I’m only doing this because you guys are my friends.” That was definitely intended for the MSW viewers, who probably cared about MPI as much as MPI viewers cared about MSW. Talk about contrived; these two shows had no business crossing over with one another! :lol:

Simon & Simon was closer in spirit to MPI (as well as to The Rockford Files, which would have been imo a great crossover!)
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

frao51
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Simon & Simon - Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend

#48 Post by frao51 »

Hallo, I don't know if anyone can answer this, I read something about the four-dvd set of the first season of Magnum, originally published in 2004-2005 so I'm not talking about the six-disc set published later. The fourth disc is sort of a bonus disc with "Ki'i's Don't Lie", "Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend", "Echoes of the Mind" and "Echoes of the Mind (Part II)". Is there anyone who owns this set that can confirm if these episodes are actually subtitled with English subtitles? Can you verify this? Thank you very much.