Tom Selleck Joins Dancing With The Stars

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Carmen
MPI

#31 Post by Carmen »

I'd love it if he were reading my mind on a few OTHER subjects . . . .
Golf!! Do I have to be shocked?! :P
(But don't worry, Europeans and others not getting U.S. TV -- the dances are usually posted the next day on the website for the show, so you should be able to see everything -- and they'll probably be on youtube too. I'll DVR all of TS, so if he ever gets passed by, I'll post a video, if requested.)
Yeahhh!! Can`t wait!!!
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#32 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Ok, now that our boy TS is in the fold I may have to catch a few episodes of this show.

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by sophia »

What a wonderful surprise!!!!!!!!!!!
I get back from vacation to find Tom will be on Dancing With The Stars.
Yes, I hope it is true.
I don't care what costume they put him in, he looks good in anything.
The only thing I thought he looked bad in is the getup they had him in when he was King Ferdanand. I know the name is not spelled right, is it?
I love the show, never voted before but Tom will get my votes every week. Still wish Jillie was on the show.

Sometimes wishes do come true! :D

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#34 Post by grapeshot »

My my my. I may just have to tune in to see him.

Gosh, if anyone can carry off an appearance on such a show with grace and skill, it would be TS. I cringed when I heard he was appearing on Vegas, but he managed to look good on it, despite how stupid the rest of the show was. I don't mean to imply that DWTS is as bad as Vegas, far from it, but you have to admit, there's a real possibility of looking cheesy by appearing on it.

Personally, I'm speculating that he's trying to remedy his recent reverses with his avocado ranch, but that's mere vulgar speculation. If so, more power to him.

For the fans abroad, I'm not sure that you'll be able to see clips even on the network's website; usually they block ISPs that are not located in North America. However, I'm sure the clips will be on YouTube before 24 hours pass, and there's always BitTorrent and The Pirate Bay.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#35 Post by SelleckLover »

Just to spice things up, I would like to suggest that maybe our TS doesn't really need the $$$, and maybe he's doing this for fun??! Maybe he doesn't want to retire??? I don't know...I'm just throwing that out there... :D :D :D

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Steve »

SelleckLover wrote:Just to spice things up, I would like to suggest that maybe our TS doesn't really need the $$$, and maybe he's doing this for fun??! Maybe he doesn't want to retire??? I don't know...I'm just throwing that out there... :D :D :D
Perhaps his "people" around him told him he needs to get back into the publics eye as that guy from 25 years ago that had the infectuous laugh, little boy charm and a great sense of humor, not the mysterious, wooden & monotone Cooper from Las Vegas or the full of angst, alcoholic and dark character Jesse Stone (even though I like the Jesse Stone Movies)........

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by MPS »

From what I can tell, being in the public eye, and getting press (good or bad) seems to lead to more roles. TS seems far to young to retire, so DWTS is good exposure for him. He can, as Steve suggested, show everyone his light hearted and charming side. Plus, if he can dance, he is going to look younger than his age. Since TS was a pretty good athlete when he was younger, he should do well. :)
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

eeyore
Admiral

#38 Post by eeyore »

LOL this is bringing images to mind of the final dance scene in In & Out!! LOL

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#39 Post by ConchRepublican »

Looks like this was mis-information. According to Gossip Sauce (I don't read it, I heard about it on the radio!) Tom is not doing Dancing with the Stars this season. This isn't the "official" announcement, so I guess there's always a chance.

http://www.gossipsauce.com/dancing-with ... ason-seven

Dancing with the Stars Season Seven Cast List:

This morning we announced the new cast of Dancing with the Stars. According to our sources, rehearsals have already begun and, after taking season six off, Maksim Chmerkovskiy IS back!

If you don’t want season spoilers, don’t read any further.

Otherwise, read on to get acquainted with the official Dancing with the Stars stars:

Kim Kardashian: Oh lordy. The fame whore with the ass that sank the Titanic continues her run at being the next Paris Hilton; famous for nothing but constantly in your face. We’d rather be strapped to a chair and forced to watch her sex tape in a continuous loop Clockwork Orange-style than witness her butcher a paso doble. America, we beseech you, VOTE HER OFF FIRST!

Cloris Leachman: She’s won more Emmys than any other actress in history (eight) and has an astonishing body of work to her credit, but we fear the 82-year-old’s tenure on the show will be short lived. Watching her and praying that she doesn’t break a hip is going to be too exhausting for most viewers.

Lance Bass: The openly gay former ‘NSYNC star, according to our sources, was NEVER in a million years going to be partnered with another man, as has been rumored. Hello, there are plenty of homosexual men who compete with female partners. His dance and performance background make him a solid bet for the final three. Expect his former bandmate and DWTS alum Joey Fatone to be in the audience to cheer him on.

Toni Braxton: The “Unbreak My Heart” R & B singer suffers from pericarditis, an inflammation of the lining of her heart, a condition that forced her to leave her Las Vegas show four months early in April. Can you say “sympathy votes?”

Brooke Burke: A hottie with a body, who formerly modeled for Playboy, FHM, Maxim and Stuff. The costume people must be doing a cha cha for joy…along with all the teenage boys who are forced to watch the show with their parents who now get to enjoy bedazzled semi-nudity. We’re can’t wait to see her smokeshow baby daddy, Baywatch’s David Charvet, root her on. Burke is total eye candy.

Maurice Greene: Gold medal winning Olympic sprinter who announced his retirement from track and field on February 4th, 2008. He’s an elite athlete which means he understands the kind of commitment needed to be truly successful. The question is, will his personality win over viewers and translate to votes since he’s relatively unknown?

Cody Linley: Following in his Hannah Montana castmate Billy Ray Cyrus’ footsteps, Cody is the youngest competitor this season at the tender age of 18. If their parents let them use the phone, his young fans could keep him on the show quite a while. Linley needs to make a name for himself outside of Hannah Montana if he wants to have a career once Miley decides she’s over it and ready to move on.

Susan Lucci: It took her 19 nominations to win an Emmy. What will it take for her to bring home this title? Lucci’s got a rabid, devoted fan base who would hate to see her lose again and that should carry her pretty far in the competition.

Jeff Ross: This year’s throw away cast member. He’s known for being an insult comic (greaaaat) and his vulgar, off-color humor. Ooookay. We’ve got a crisp twenty that says this guy is off the show first but not before he offends someone and forces ABC to bleep him.

Warren Sapp: Jerry Rice. Emmitt Smith. Jason Taylor. All football stars. All formidable competitors; Emmitt won, Jason and Jerry both were runners-up. As a former Tampa Bay Buccaneer and Oakland Raider, Warren has a legacy to uphold. Considering he’s also an eight time Pro Bowl-er and a Super Bowl champion, Sapp knows how to win and likes it. If he has any grace, he might rough up the competition.

Misty May-Treanor: The beach volleyball champ, who just repeated her 2004 Olympic gold medal with a second win in Beijing (hearty congratulations to both her and Kerri Walsh!), hasn’t lost a single match in 108 contests. This girl has Game Face! Like Maurice Greene, she understands what’s needed to achieve impeccable performance. If she’s half as good on the dance floor as she is in the sand, she’s going far. She’s also riding the wave of American adoration after a gold medal performance. (Too bad Michael Phelps isn’t competing; he’d have the show on lock!)

Ted McGinley: Best known as Jefferson on Married…with Children, Ted still looks almost as good as he did when he was in Revenge of the Nerds 24 years ago. He’s definitely going to give middle aged ladies something to cheer for, but we wonder if he’s this year’s Steve Guttenberg; a nostalgic choice a little past his prime.

Mark McGrath: This is bass ackward. Mario Lopez was on Dancing with the Stars and ended up so popular he took McGrath’s job on Extra. Now McGrath is attempting to rekindle some glory by retracing Mario’s steps. Fingers crossed for ya, Buddy.…But if you dance to “Every Morning,” we’re gonna beat you senseless with one of the Bedazzlers they love so much at DWTS.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#40 Post by golfmobile »

Ah, well, at least now he won't be called "this year's Steve Guttenberg."

I was ambilvalent about this anyway -- wanting to see him but then being afraid he would be so awful, it would be embarrassing.

Good rumor though -- looks like it "gotcha"-ed all of us!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

ConchRepublican

#41 Post by ConchRepublican »

I know, I was as well. I was interested in seeing him and would have wtached the show, but I was concerned about how he'd come across.

Kinda like when I saw him on Broadway. I got tickets as a gift for "A Thousand Clowns" (and a signed photo, nice!!!) and I was dissappointed. He had said the play was one of the reasons he became an actor, was important to him and he jumped at the chance to play it on Broadway. I didn't think he worked in the role. The play was OK, and could see the interest he had in the part, but I don't know, maybe it was an off night, but I didn't think he had the range for the role.

Maybe he would have surprised me on DWTS.

At least that's a show I can scratch off my TV schedule this fall!
CoziTV Superfan spot

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#42 Post by golfmobile »

Conch,

I don't particularly like the play (A Thousand Clowns) so I could see why it could be disappointing in the first place. I think the range of his acting skills, drama and comedy, is pretty well a slam dunk, considering what all he has done.

However, doing it on screen (silver or TV) is different from a play. So I think this can bring up an entirely new subject.

What live play would you like to see TS do?

Now, his current age could be a significant factor, but let's consider it as he can either be in "his prime" a la the MPI years, or now. Just state the play and the age frame.

MPI era -- I'd love to see him in "Same Time, Next Year."

Can't think of many "mature" roles for current age right now. I wonder if he could pull of the Captain in "Mr. Roberts" (comedy role) or the Captain in "The Caine Mutiny" (drama). Basically supporting roles, both, still . . . those have potential.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by MPS »

I would love to see TS reprise Alan Alda's role in the Richard Feynman biography, QED. The play really shows off the dry sense of humor that Feynman had. I think TS could do that quite nicely.

TS would be the perfect age for the role right now. I think I saw Alda in the play 7 or 8 years ago. Alda is in his early 70's now, so that puts him at about 64 when the play opened. An added plus for this role: Feynman was considered quite the ladies man when he was younger. :D
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

ConchRepublican

#44 Post by ConchRepublican »

golfmobile wrote:Conch,

I don't particularly like the play (A Thousand Clowns) so I could see why it could be disappointing in the first place. I think the range of his acting skills, drama and comedy, is pretty well a slam dunk, considering what all he has done.

However, doing it on screen (silver or TV) is different from a play. So I think this can bring up an entirely new subject.

What live play would you like to see TS do?

Now, his current age could be a significant factor, but let's consider it as he can either be in "his prime" a la the MPI years, or now. Just state the play and the age frame.

MPI era -- I'd love to see him in "Same Time, Next Year."

Can't think of many "mature" roles for current age right now. I wonder if he could pull of the Captain in "Mr. Roberts" (comedy role) or the Captain in "The Caine Mutiny" (drama). Basically supporting roles, both, still . . . those have potential.

golf
Hey Golf, I don't mean to be smackin' down the man!!!! :D

I just, maybe wrongly, view TS as a John Wayne type . . . maybe more Harrison Ford . . . they tend to play certain types of characters (be they comedy or drama) very well. I'm not so sure how well they play different types of characters. I love Tom, both Magnum and Selleck (maybe more Magnum, just because I think I know him better) I think though maynbe he epitomizes the idea of "typecast".

Even I, as a fan, see Magnum when I see Selleck. Granted, in Friends, Mr. Baseball, High Road and the Closer that was a different character, but I saw more TM trying to be different.

I think the westerns are different, think it was here, from the Sacketts, to Quigley and forward that Tom was a different character. I have (I am embarressed to say) not seen the Jesse Stone movies.

It's tough . . . the TM / TS union was perfect. The right man, with the right character at the right time. It's probably my expectations which limit what I see when I watch TS on screen
CoziTV Superfan spot

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Miss Q »

Hmmm....

Looks like TS is not listed for this new season of DWTS's.... either he backed out or he will be appearing some time in the future...
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock