There's Only One Magnum P.I., And His Name Is Tom Selleck.

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Coops
Fleet Admiral

There's Only One Magnum P.I., And His Name Is Tom Selleck.

#1 Post by Coops »

All you need to know about the personal character of Tom Selleck and why he is so special. I don't know if I could have kept my cool during the whole negotiations between CBS and Spielberg/Lucas. To think that he could have done BOTH and been a hit on the big screen and small, CBS really messed up with this one. "Sure, Tom, go do the movie, we all know Spielberg/Lucas are the hottest two people in Hollywood rightnow. Do the movie and it will bring publicity you can't buy for Magnun, p.i.!" Idiots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-kksKWW ... re=related

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by grapeshot »

I think it's only in hindsight that it is clear that Selleck could have done both projects. At the time, no one expected that the series would take so long to start filming. The producers of Magnum would've been as keen to protect their property by keeping their star as Spielberg would've been keen to get him for his new project. History is full of these "what if's" and "if only's".

Without taking anything away from Harrison Ford, I think Selleck would've been a fantastic Indiana Jones. To get a taste of what he would've been like, watch "High Road To China". It's not a very good movie (not bad, either) but the character Selleck plays is rather like Indiana. I think Selleck's Indiana might've been a little more rough around the edges, but I think that would've improved the movies. Ford's Indiana was more bookish, while Selleck's Indiana would've maybe been more "brawler-ish", or more like as if Clark Gable were playing Indiana.

It's kind of interesting to speculate about this -- and not unlike comparing all the various James Bonds. Except, of course, Indiana Jones isn't quite the deathless character that James Bond is. (Or Doctor Who, for that matter.)

In the end, Magnum rewarded Selleck probably as much as Indiana rewarded Ford. And if Selleck had been Indiana, then would we have ever gotten Magnum? Consider that there's only about 8 or so hours of Indiana Jones movies, but there are 7-1/2 seasons of Magnum!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#3 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think TS would've made an excellent Indiana Jones. I often wonder if him not taking that part kept him from getting big movie roles in the 80's.