Tips for getting autographs?

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

JonnyDaytona
Captain

Tips for getting autographs?

#1 Post by JonnyDaytona »

Hi guys,

This site has inspired me to collect some MPI merchandise. I was thinking autographs would be a great place to start. What are your reccomendations for getting autograph pictures of Tom, Larry, Roger and John? Writing their agents? I've never sought authographs before and ebay is not a route I want to go. Any help or advice is appreciated...

Thanks!
"Ivan?......Did you see the sunrise?'

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#2 Post by N1095A »

Some time ago I sent TS a letter to his home thanking him for MPI, and letting him know what the show meant to me growing up, and to this day. I didn't ask for anything, but a few weeks later a personally autographed 8X10 of TS from the MPI era arrived.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

JonnyDaytona
Captain

#3 Post by JonnyDaytona »

N1095A wrote:Some time ago I sent TS a letter to his home thanking him for MPI, and letting him know what the show meant to me growing up, and to this day. I didn't ask for anything, but a few weeks later a personally autographed 8X10 of TS from the MPI era arrived.
Would you be willing to forward that address to me?

Carmen
MPI

#4 Post by Carmen »

...and me? :)
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

N1095A

#5 Post by N1095A »

Actually, It's public domain. I found it online.

338 Sage Ln
Santa Monica, CA 90402

Remember, be polite, and call him Mr. Selleck, etc, etc.

JonnyDaytona
Captain

#6 Post by JonnyDaytona »

N1095A wrote:Actually, It's public domain. I found it online.

338 Sage Ln
Santa Monica, CA 90402

Remember, be polite, and call him Mr. Selleck, etc, etc.
Oh of course! I have never written to an actor before, but all my correspondance adheres to strict decorum! (I turned into Higgins for a second there)

This is the current address? Thanks again for your assistance!

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Miss Q »

I have successfully used this address as well, I believe its his agents....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

N1095A

#8 Post by N1095A »

That's the address I used 2 years ago. I have my doubts as to if it's TS's Actual home or not. I looked at the property on Google, and it doesn't look like the ranch TS has talked about. It looks more like AJ's house from Simon & Simon, from the street. Here's the kicker on the photo. I moved since I received it, and I haven't seen it since the move. From all I've been able to gather, TS is exceptionally great at corosponding with fans.
Last edited by N1095A on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JonnyDaytona
Captain

#9 Post by JonnyDaytona »

N1095A wrote:That's the address I used 2 years ago. I have my doubts as to if it's TS's Actual home or not. I looked at the property on Goocle, and it doesn't look like the ranch TS has talked about. It looks more like AJ's house from Simon & Simon, from the street. Here's the kicker on the photo. I moved since I received it, and I haven't seen it since the move. From all I've been able to gather, TS is exceptionally great at corosponding with fans.
You'd better get cracking on another letter!

N1095A

#10 Post by N1095A »

Here's a question I'd like to throw at everyone. I've been playing with the idea of sending him an Al's Automotive cap as a token of appreciation.
My wife said A: he probably has at least one, and B: he might get weirded out by it. My concern is that he'd sign it and send it back, which is not the intention. What does everyone think?

JonnyDaytona
Captain

#11 Post by JonnyDaytona »

N1095A wrote:Here's a question I'd like to throw at everyone. I've been playing with the idea of sending him an Al's Automotive cap as a token of appreciation.
My wife said A: he probably has at least one, and B: he might get weirded out by it. My concern is that he'd sign it and send it back, which is not the intention. What does everyone think?
I think it's a pretty cool idea! I'm sure people send him western memorabilia and the like all the time. If you explain in your letter that it's a gift for him, he'd likely appreciate it. Besides, there is no way you could misconstrue a hat as a letter bomb!

ten_of_spades
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#12 Post by ten_of_spades »

I've been collecting autographs since high school, and luckily, have managed to get some from John Hillerman, Larry Manetti, Roger E. Mosley and Tom Selleck (and Kwan Hi Lim :D )

Here's what I can recommend:

Tom Selleck is excellent about signing through the mail. I wrote to him care of a production office when he was in Canada filming, but I know for a fact the Sage Lane address works. I would suggest sending your own photo to be signed though; I know he has a secretary (actually, the actress who played Lois Lane in the old Superman movies) who "helps" with his fan mail. Whether that means she sorts it or signs it, I'm not sure, but a safe bet is to send your own photo as it's more likely to get a real sig.

Larry Manetti is also good about signing. One thing to note though, is that the street address posted for him online is incomplete. It doesn't specify "Lane" or "Blvd.", and there are two streets with the same name quite close to each other. I'm sure it will still get to him regardless of which address, but just be aware that it might get to the wrong person (even if it is only a block away)

Roger E. Mosley is a bit tougher to get. I sent a letter care of his agent, but had to try two or three times before I got a response. Definitely send your own photo to be signed, as the first two times I didn't.

John Hillerman is the most difficult. The only address listed online for him is his home address, and in general, celebs don't like people writing to their homes. I probably wrote 3 or 4 times over the years, and finally had a success earlier this year. As with R.E.M., send your own photo to be signed (a quick way to do it is CTRL-Print screen / do a screen cap of a Magnum DVD on your computer, save it in Photoshop and have it printed at Wal-Mart)

Kwan Hi Lim is great for signing, and he even sent a letter. Lance Legault, Paul Burke and Marta Dubois are also supposed to be good signers. The autograph website Star Archive (or Star Tiger...which I think is a dumb name) has them all listed and is probably the best autograph site in general, but it's $5 a month to join. PM me though if you want their addresses

Some general recommendations: ALWAYS send a self-addressed stamped envelope (I'm not from the States, so if I'm out of US stamps, I just include a dollar bill for postage...works like a charm). Be sincere, but don't go crazy with praising them, and something that always works: write your letter by hand. Yeah, it's slower, but it shows them you're sincere, and not just sending the same printed letter to 100 celebs

JonnyDaytona
Captain

#13 Post by JonnyDaytona »

Awesome advice! This is a truly a terrific board. Thanks 8)

GMT Master
Lieutenant Commander

#14 Post by GMT Master »

Hello all. This is my first post. Great forum. The address I found is 331 Sage Lane. Is it 338 or 331? I want to send a photo but I want to send it to the right place. All help appreciated. Thanks.
GMT Master

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Miss Q »

I used 331 Sage Lane and was successful, plus it shows TS when I googled it...
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock