TS in Cowboys & Indians Magazine

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#31 Post by SelleckLover »

golfmobile wrote:
When you're reincarnated, you want to come back as one of his dogs or as Spike?
I'm more low key -- more of a cat person, so I'd like to come back as his kitty cat (if he has one.) LOL

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#32 Post by golfmobile »

I think I read somewhere that he has 12 dogs and 4 cats. So I think you're safe. I just wonder if he LIKES cats or if they're for Jillie and Hannah . . . . He strikes me as more of a dog person. Not that one can't be both -- Larry was a dog person until he started living with our Himalayans -- now he's a complete sucker for them.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#33 Post by J.J. Walters »

So, what did the Top 10 cowboys list look like?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover

#34 Post by SelleckLover »

1. Charles Goodnight
2. Charles M. Russell
3. Bernard Lichtenstein
4. Buffalo Bill Cody
5. Hugh Bennett
6. Bass Reeves
7. Ben Holladay
8. Wild Bill Hickock
9. Jim Shoulders
10. Red Steagall

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks SelleckLover, but what happened to this?
Top 15 actors we love in a Western?
Tom Selleck makes the winner’s circle by way more than a nose
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover

#36 Post by SelleckLover »

Dunno...perhaps I haven't read that part of the magazine yet!?? :oops:

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#37 Post by golfmobile »

That was just part of the subtitle for the article, but I haven't read the entire magazine either yet. So maybe the list is somewhere else in it?

I confess, I've never heard of most of those in that Top Ten cited.

In the meantime, in one picture of him in the article, he's standing next to a horse. His eye level looks to be right about at the withers of the horse. That must be a HUGE horse! The horse I had (that is pictured somewhere here) was 16-2 hands. And his withers were just above my head, and I'm 5' 3" -- so that horse that TS is standing beside must be at least 17 hands or more. Anyone else know horses to analyze that picture and do you think the same? If Spike was his Quigley horse, I don't recall Spike's being that tall. Here are pictures from Quigley -- can someone post the picture from the magazine to compare?

The horse here, if this is Spike, looks a good 6-8 inches shorter than the picture in the magazine.

Thoughts?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover

#38 Post by SelleckLover »

Maybe it is Spike, but since we can't see the actual terrain they are standing on, maybe Spike happened to be on higher ground than TS at the moment the picture is was taken. I dunno...I'm just sayin'!

And also, James, I haven't been able to find the article that has the names of the top 15 actors we'd love to see in a western. But that doesn't mean anything...it may be in there and I'm not seeing it!

Just for the record, here's my top 5:

1. Tom Selleck (of course!)
2. John Wayne (They don't make 'em like The Duke anymore!)
3. Robert Duvall
4. Clint Eastwood
5. Sam Elliott

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Coops »

3. Robert Duvall

Lonesome Dove is one of my all-time favorite mini's. I also loved Open Range & Broken Trail. Duvall is fantastic in westerns. Even modern ones like Tender Mercies.

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#40 Post by tidal pool »

Here's an interesting fact. Over the past 15 years, C&I has put many famous actors on their magazine cover twice including: Robert Redford, Paul Newman, Kevin Costner, Clint Eastwood, Harrison Ford, John Wayne, Sam Elliot, Robert Duvall, and probably a few more. But there has only been one actor who has graced the cover three times...Tom Selleck. And they chose him for their 15th Anniversary Edition. I think this speaks volumes about his appeal and the ability to sell merchandise with his image. His other cover issues were November 2000 and January 2003.

Last night, I finally got around to reading the article in the current issue and the one thing that caught my attention was when TS said, "But hey, I've got to keep working. I've got a mortgage."

My thoughts were... Does he really have to keep working? Couldn't he retire if he wanted to? And you would think with such a long, successful career and being 63 years old, his house would be paid off.

Anyway, I am glad that he keeps on working.
TS or NO MOVIE!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#41 Post by golfmobile »

TidalPool,

I think Sam Elliott made three times before our hero did. I was looking at the magazine again today, and SE was on the cover in 1999, 2003, and 2007 -- several months before our TS' third appearance in this June episode. So I'm SURE it's an honor for his third appearance to be on the 15th anniversary, but he wasn't the first with three appearances on the cover (as I read it!).

But, brother!!! Does this magazine have a LOT of advertising!! There's more advertising than articles. Very glossy magazine, very "pretty," but expensive and rather "airy" -- not a lot of real content.

JMO!!!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover

#42 Post by SelleckLover »

TS bought his ranch in 1988. If he had a 30 year mortgage, then he would still have 10 more years to pay on that mortgage.

Maybe TS doesn't want to retire. It costs a lot of $$$ to maintain a 64 acre ranch, and he has a child in college...it all adds up. (I wish I had all the $$ we spent on my son's education!) My husband is only 2 months younger than TS, and he thinks if he retires he'll turn into an "old man." LOL I don't have the heart to tell him that he's already there!!! LOL :D :D

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Miss Q »

I beleive his taxes are outrageously high on the 63 acrea ranch in prime real estate area of So Cal....

He may not have a mortgage, but his taxes are close to 6K a MONTH
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#44 Post by tidal pool »

golfmobile wrote:I think Sam Elliott made three times before our hero did. I was looking at the magazine again today, and SE was on the cover in 1999, 2003, and 2007
You're correct, golf. My mistake. Last week, I checked all my old issues and somehow missed Sam Elliot being on the cover three times. :oops:
TS or NO MOVIE!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#45 Post by golfmobile »

tidal pool,

No big deal. I find it interesting because SE is not quite the known "star" that TS is, at least in terms of number of roles and size/importantness of the roles. Not that he's not a good actor, he certainly is, and I'm a big fan. But he didn't carry a TV series for 8 years, etc. Though I think, like TS, he DOES do a lot of voice-overs on TV commercials. Such a distinctive voice too. You know he's married to Katharine Ross, whom he met while filming Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (his minor role was cut in the final edit).

And SE and TS are buddies, so I think it's fair that each should have three covers. Now TS can call SE and rib him that, "Now I've tied you for C&I covers!!"

golf
"Portside, buddy."