Marta Dubois (a/k/a Michelle)

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

Marta Dubois (a/k/a Michelle)

#1 Post by golfmobile »

I'm sitting here watching another McBride movie on Sleuth Channel and Marta DuBois as a blonde is McBride's sort-of girlfriend again. She is a much more likeable character in this show, which is also, what?, 20 years post-MPI. She's really almost unrecognizable without that Brillo explosion hairdo, and she doesn't have the accent. So as an "American" character, and I think a cop, isn't she? -- anyway, I don't automatically dislike her in this show. And SHE sure doesn't look 20 years older!! Gotta give her credit for THAT! (she does look at least 10 years older, but not 20 -- say she was 35 when she made MPI -- she now looks darned good at 55, if that's her age!)

So I think I can like her as an actress in another role. Maybe it's just the Michelle character I don't like. Sorry if I was taking out my dislike of Michelle on the actress playing the role. She didn't write the lines or direct herself into such an unappealing witch . . . . So I back off from my criticism of Marta DuBois and reinforce it as it relates to Michelle. GMWAS as to Michelle! But Marta's okay, I'd venture, and kudoes to her from continuing to work. More than Roger and Larry are doing these days. But maybe they aren't trying to. Is everyone still getting residuals from reruns on Sleuth, not to mention wherever else they may be playing? Aren't they still on some channels in L.A.? Where else, locally?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Miss Q »

I cany say I hated Michelle's character, I just didnt understand why she didnt chose TM... over and over again....

OK I get she was still legally married, but in season 8 it was revealed her 1st husdand is killed and she then turns to husband wanna-be#3.

If it were me I just would have stayed with TM, period. Some might say
not when she realized #1 was alive, ok I can give you that.... But after he's killed I would have been on the firat plane to Hawaii!

She basically abandons him 3 times! Never happen with me!
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#3 Post by SelleckLover »

Magnum is on once daily here in the Los Angeles area. It's run on a local channel called KDOC. They also run Hawaii 5-0 just before Magnum.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#4 Post by Shermy »

I was flipping around a few weeks ago and noticed Marta Dubois on an episode of Walker, Texas Ranger. She definitely seemed like a completely different actress without her 80's hairdo and "Michelle" accent.

But it's interesting to see other fans critical of her as Michelle (see also the "Little Girl Who" thread), because I never fully bought her as Magnum's one true love, either. They didn't seem like a good pair, imo. I always felt Magnum acted more out of loyalty to his marriage than anything else. I guess she just had a particular look that didn't really age very well (unlike Dubois herself).

By comparison, look at Magnum's relationship with Lily Catherine. Kristen Carreira was an adorable little girl who perfectly fit the part of Magnum's daughter. You could easily believe that he would fall in love with her and want to protect her at all costs.

But Michelle? Meh. She just seemed way too snobby to be mixed up with someone like Magnum. It was more like watching two people who had bought some land together in the past, and periodically got together to try and decide what to do with it. :lol:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#5 Post by Doc Ibold »

Shermy wrote:I was flipping around a few weeks ago and noticed Marta Dubois on an episode of Walker, Texas Ranger. She definitely seemed like a completely different actress without her 80's hairdo and "Michelle" accent.

But it's interesting to see other fans critical of her as Michelle (see also the "Little Girl Who" thread), because I never fully bought her as Magnum's one true love, either. They didn't seem like a good pair, imo. I always felt Magnum acted more out of loyalty to his marriage than anything else. I guess she just had a particular look that didn't really age very well (unlike Dubois herself).

By comparison, look at Magnum's relationship with Lily Catherine. Kristen Carreira was an adorable little girl who perfectly fit the part of Magnum's daughter. You could easily believe that he would fall in love with her and want to protect her at all costs.

But Michelle? Meh. She just seemed way too snobby to be mixed up with someone like Magnum. It was more like watching two people who had bought some land together in the past, and periodically got together to try and decide what to do with it. :lol:
:lol:

Nice analogy, Shermy!

Yeah, Michelle never "did" it for me. Her loyalty is a bit off and she only seems to go to Magnum whenever she needs him to do something for her.

Ms. DuBois is a good actress, but "Mall Hair Michelle" must go!

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by sophia »

I watched McBride a few days ago. DuBois and her blonde hair was a shock. Miss Q, I agree, it just wasn't beleivable that Michelle would leave Thomas. I bet most of us would agree, we would have done anything to stay with Thomas Magnum.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#7 Post by N1095A »

Sorry, I just don't care for the actress or the character. I've never seen her in anything else, but on IMDB they list her age as unknown. That just turns me off.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Coops »

Wow. I had no idea that 'Michell' was so despised but I can understand why. Or how many people didn't like Marta DuBois. Personally, I saw the connection that Magnum had with her but that's mainly because of Selleck's acting. I thought she was drop dead gorgeous but then again I was a teen during the shows original run and that hairstyle was 'hot' back then. And it sort of still is with me. One thing about Marta that surprised me was she is of Panamanian origin.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#9 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

She's not one of the favorites on here. Besides, we all know TM could've done better than her.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#10 Post by golfmobile »

I personally have to back off a little from Marta herself. After watching her on a couple of McBrides, she's NOT Michelle (thank goodness!). So she's a pretty good actress to play such a thankless role (well, she did get to make out with TS . . . . .) So I still don't like Michelle, but I'll say Marta's okay with me.
"Portside, buddy."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#11 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I've never seen her as anything but Michelle. Well, maybe I have but didn't notice her. I don't have any particular venom for her, I just didn't care for Michelle.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Internet Movie Database has a photo of her from 2003. Is that how she looked on McBride?

TV.com lists her birth year as 1952. If that's true, she was mostly in her early-mid 30's on Magnum, and in her mid-50's now.
Carol

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#13 Post by golfmobile »

GAWD NO! She doesn't look like that on McBride. Sheesh, in that picture, she still has that exploding stuffed animal hair! Shades of Michelle! On McBride, she's blonde and has relatively short hair always pulled to the back. She is BARELY recognizable. I don't think I have any McBride DVR's so I think I don't have a picture of how she looks on that show. I'll see what I can find.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by Kahunagirl »

She was also in a Season 2 episode of MacGyver -- around the same time she was playing Michelle on Magnum, so she was fairly easily recognizable. But she didn't speak with Michelle's accent, so it was a little disconcerting!

Kahunagirl

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:exploding stuffed animal hair!
and there's more!

from Star Trek: The Next Generation (1991), as Ardra the Shapeshifter....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcuNh2- ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIEN-vNSBX8

:shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!