For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Ivan Dixon Dies

#1 Post by Sam »

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/2598574/

He directed 13 episodes of MPI.

In addition to acting on television, he also directed hundreds of episodic shows, including "The Waltons," "The Rockford Files," "Magnum P.I." and "Heat of the Night."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is very sad news. :cry:

Kinchloe and Hogan's Heroes will always have a special place in my heart.

RIP Ivan.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

Thats sad.

The odd thing was that I never knew he was on "Hogans Heroes" and if you said the name Ivan Dixon, I would of said "Producer of Magnum PI!"

RIP Mr. Dixon

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#4 Post by IslandHopper »

Doc Ibold wrote:Thats sad.

The odd thing was that I never knew he was on "Hogans Heroes" and if you said the name Ivan Dixon, I would of said "Producer of Magnum PI!"

RIP Mr. Dixon
I remember Ivan Dixon from his role as "Kinch" on Hogan's Heroes, but I didn't realize he was the same guy that directed several MPI episodes. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

Sad news indeed........A true inspiration that helped to plow a path for minorities to participate in Directing and Producing. Godspeed Ivan........

Steve
Chicago

eeyore
Admiral

#6 Post by eeyore »

I had no idea he was the same person either! My father used to love watching HH, he is a WWII vet and he got such a kick out of this show. He served on the Magnoix(sp) line and spend a lot of time in Germany.

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by grapeshot »

I, too, had a real fondness for Kinchloe on Hogan's Heroes. Cool, unflappable, and yet such a techno-geek. Didn't he always do the german speaking whenever Hogan needed someone who could speak it?

Years later, Ivan Dixon appeared in Car Wash, a movie that I enjoyed, and thought was better than I would've expected. I didn't recognize him, until the final credits rolled (I'm THAT kind of person; one who stays for the entire final credits), but I remember that even though this movie was somewhat comedic, he had a role with some powerful lines.