Jeff MacKay

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

wilko
Captain

Jeff MacKay

#1 Post by wilko »

I never really liked him in Baa Baa Black Sheep but he was great in Magnum PI. He seemed much more suited for the character of Jim Bonnick rather than "Mac" MacReynolds.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

I really liked Jeff in Tales of the Gold Monkey as "Corky". I really hope they release that show on DVD sometime.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#3 Post by golfmobile »

James,

I just checked for Tales of the Gold Monkey at www.oldtimefavorites.net, but it's not there. That is a good site if you like old B&W TV shows. These are not professionally produced DVDs (and I think most are not available on DVD anyway), I think were all recorded from some channel that used to be "Good TV," or something like that. I got all the episodes of Hawaiian Eye and The Roaring 20s (I'm a Dorothy Provine fan). The "quality" rating for these was 7-8 out of ten. I was leery about what that meant, but the price was just too good to pass up (I think I got all 134 episodes of Hawaiian Eye on 12 DVDs for $46). But the only thing slightly bad quality-wise is the sound -- it's low, so I have to turn the volume up really high -- which isn't a problem until you stop a DVD and the volume of the TV knocks you out of your seat! :lol: :D I just have to remember to turn down the volume when I stop a DVD!

But they are definitely viewable, and I'm enjoying seeing them. And it's interesting from a MPI comparison aspect because HE was filmed on sound stages in LA, not on location, but they have more Hawaiians in the show than MPI has!

Anyway, even though Tales of the Gold Monkey isn't there, there ARE a lot of other TV shows that others here might be interested in, so some of you guys might want to check it out.

Sorry TOTGM wasn't there!
golf
"Portside, buddy."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#4 Post by Shermy »

I remember watching Tales of the Gold Monkey as a kid, primarily because I was a big fan of Indiana Jones. I can't say I have any vivid memories of it, though. :?

golf, I believe what you are describing is a dvd site that does not offer officially licensed products. Naturally, I'm shocked and appalled. What's next? Are you going to suggest spending thirty bucks at forgottenstuff.com for all 22 episodes of Gold Monkey? :wink:

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#5 Post by golfmobile »

Shermy,

$30? When I looked, it lists them at $45. But they are there -- unofficial and unlicensed, of course, how shameful!

But I still can't find one show on either site, that was a very clever show, though short-lived. The Associates, with Martin Short et al. I think it lasted only maybe half a season, but it was actually very good (about associates at a law firm). Let me know if you find that one!! :lol:

But the show Hawaii (cop show) was on the site you mentioned. Did anyone else but me watch it? I really liked it and thought it was very good, but it crashed and burned too. Two of the cops had a really good "buddy cops" chemistry, which I think is really fun to watch -- I like Eric Balfour anyway. Anyone remember the bank robbery/hostage episode?

Sorry! Too OT!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Sam »

I don't know how many of you were around when Jeff posted on the ALT.Magnum-Pi board but maybe someone will find this interesting..

He posted under 3 names....Jeff Mackay,Mac and Boink.Here is a link to Boink.

http://groups.google.com/groups/profile ... .magnum-pi

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#7 Post by golfmobile »

Sam,

Thanks for that link! That was wonderful -- VERY informative (if ten years ago . . . . but some things about the show are ageless!).

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Sam »

Found a few more and more recent.2001

http://groups.google.com/groups/search? ... 6mXc24h6ww

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#9 Post by Shermy »

golfmobile wrote:$30? When I looked, it lists them at $45.
It's cheaper if you select paper sleeves instead of dvd cases w/inserts.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#10 Post by golfmobile »

Sam,

My Gosh! I could spend hours reading all those posts! There are so many things we have discussed here, plus many other interpretations, opinions, etc., etc. Are any of the folks here the ones who were posting on that group? (Speak up, please!)

Is that group still active? They seem to be as knowledgeable as the folks here (not me, I'm just a reader with an opinion!).

Hey, remember that jerk who wrote the article about "no Magnum P.I. fan sites on the internet"? He should be told about this one and THAT one!!! That'll teach him!

golf
"Portside, buddy."