Tom Selleck Movies

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#106 Post by SelleckLover »

golf,

I was just kidding with you! It's not really that bad. I don't think anything with our TS in it is a bad investment. I was just trying to get a point across. LOL :D

SL

Carmen
MPI

#107 Post by Carmen »

So which one is worse SL and Golf? Daughters of satan or Concrete cowboys. Guess we need a poll here! :wink:

It`s a hard to decide, isn`t it? Golf, did I never tell you I have Concrete Cowboys? I could have made a copy for you :oops:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

SelleckLover

#108 Post by SelleckLover »

Carmen wrote:
So which one is worse SL and Golf?
I will have to defer to my esteemed colleague, golf, for this one. Alas, I have never seen all of Daughters of Satan, just an occasional film clip here and there!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#109 Post by golfmobile »

SL and Carmen,

I can't believe we are dissecting such pitiful movies . . . . lol

Anyway, I think I'd have to call them pretty even. I just finished watching Concrete Cowboys (CC), and it held my interest, but that was only because I was watching TS. I doubt I would have stayed with it for anyone else. (But, purely in MY opinion, both were better than Chinese Typewriter and Gypsy Warriors, which isn't saying much, I grant you. The only thing good about Chinese Typewriter was finding out where the Al's Automotive cap came from!)

Has poor Morgan Fairchild EVER played any role that WASN'T a "bad guy"???? Interesting that she, too, also later showed up on MPI.

Early in CC, TS sounded as though he were acting, as though he was just reading lines, but I think that was because he was trying to play up the cowboy accent. As the movie went on, either I got used to it or he eventually dropped it for the most part, and then he sounded more comfortable with his lines. TS was so EARNEST in DOS, that sort of won me over, though the plot was pretty dreadful and, again, the female lead couldn't act her way out of a paper bag! I STILL think the best female role opposite TS is Laura San Giacomo in QDU. I don't know that they are even still friends (which would be a pity, if not), but those two in that movie, in MY opinion, had more chemistry than I have EVER seen TS have with any other actress. I find it hard to adequately express because it's such a cliche, but both seemed so very comfortable in their roles, in their own skin, in their interaction. To me there was more passion and emotion when he merely put his hand up to her cheek when leaving to go back to Marston's Station than any scene he ever did with Sharon Stone or Marta DuBois or Dana Delaney in MPI.

Sorry! Anyway, back to CC vs. DOS. I think both are important to see from a standpoint of seeing how he developed his acting skills to get to MPI and beyond. I think, to a certain degree, whatever role he plays, be it Magnum or Peter Mitchell (TM&AB) or Ike or Jesse Stone, he can't get away from being Tom Selleck. Rather like Cary Grant or Jimmy Cagney or Jimmy Stewart. You still see the person they are as much as the role they play. I'm not saying this is BAD, but some actors don't seem to carry this as much from role to role. DeNiro, for example -- compare his characters in Analyze This or Cape Fear or Meet the Parents. Or Dustin Hoffman in Rainman or Tootsie. Or Spencer Tracy in the Kate Hepburn movies and then Old Man and the Sea.

Maybe it has something to do with being able to get away from your own body in terms of mannerisms, presentation, posture, etc. So . . . . so what if TS can't do it? Neither could Cary Grant, Cagney, Stewart, Gable, Bogart -- some of the most popular and successful actors of all time.

I may be waxing WAY to philosophical here . . . . .

SL, I have the DVD Carmen sent me of DOS. Would you like me to make a copy for you and send it to you? I'll be more than happy to.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

layne
Vice Admiral

#110 Post by layne »

Golf,

A friend of mine just sent me a copy of CC she got at the dollar store also. That's one of the few TS movies I haven't seen yet. Glad you think it's better than Chinese Typewriter and Gypsy Warriors...those were pretty bad. I just need to find the time to watch CC. Another one I have never seen is DOS. I'll have to check that one out sometime. I also have never seen one of his made for tv movies...Divorce Wars. Anyone ever seen that one?? I can't find it anywhere.

I'm with you golf on the chemistry between TS and Laura San Giacomo. Along with her being an excellent actress, there was something about the two of them on screen. You can tell they felt really comfortable with one another. Even though their romantic scenes were understated...you could still see and feel the passion they had for one another. I LOVED those 2 together. QDU is truly one of my favorite movies.

I liked what you had to say about TS not being able to get away from being Tom Selleck. I kind of think part of it is his looks and maybe that with women hounding him all the time it's been hard for him to be taken seriously. He was in Parade magazine in today's paper and on Parade.com. They ask which stars can't quite convert their television success to movies. I actually believe he is a fantastic actor...one that I would like to see more in movies. QDU, Three Men, Innocent Man, Mr. Baseball all were great movies. But TS seems to enjoy television more now and doesn't seem to be interested in theatrical movies.

Alrighty. I'm done rambling for now.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#111 Post by golfmobile »

Layne,

Haven't seen Divorce Wars either, though I recently watched both Runaway and Running Mates (no 'stache). I can see the "cop thing" for Runaway, but the robot premise was rather silly, I thought.

And I agree with you about him in movies. Other than QDU, I thought An Innocent Man was VERY, VERY well done. But I thought it's not that he's not interested in the big screen (movies), but that it's not interested in him. No offense, Tom, ole buddy, but there aren't very many 62-year-olds doing big budget movies these days (even the latest Indiana Jones wasn't quite the success it was hoped to be -- in my opinion because they spent more time on that infantile Shia LaBoeuf instead of HF!!!). So as long as CBS is still happy to use him for Jesse Stone movies, I'll keep pining for those. WHEN will Thin Ice air, for crying out loud? He's made another one since that was finished!!!

Anyway, PM your address to me. I'm sure I have it "somewhere" (I'm getting to the age where I keep putting things in a "special place" and then I can't remember WHERE the special place is . . . . ), but send it again to be safe, and when I make a copy of DOS for SL, I'll make one for you too.

Oh, yeah, I just looked at my receipt from the Dollar Tree, and the DVDs were $0.50!!! So I spent only $3 after all, for that dumb movie. ROTFLMAO

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover

#112 Post by SelleckLover »

golfmobile wrote:
SL, I have the DVD Carmen sent me of DOS. Would you like me to make a copy for you and send it to you?
Yes, please! :D Thank you, I really appreciate it! (I also agree with you and Layne about the chemistry between TS and LSG. Of course, QDU was just a great all around movie, in general!)

SL

layne
Vice Admiral

#113 Post by layne »

golfmobile wrote:Anyway, PM your address to me. I'm sure I have it "somewhere" (I'm getting to the age where I keep putting things in a "special place" and then I can't remember WHERE the special place is . . . . ), but send it again to be safe, and when I make a copy of DOS for SL, I'll make one for you too.

Oh, yeah, I just looked at my receipt from the Dollar Tree, and the DVDs were $0.50!!! So I spent only $3 after all, for that dumb movie. ROTFLMAO

golf
Thanks bunches!! How great is the Dollar Tree, huh? I owe you and will think of a way to return the favor! I know what you mean about the whole special place thing...my special place must be really special cause I can never find it!

You know I agree about the shortage of roles for 62 year olds these days. But I think TS would be great at supporting roles. He's even talked about wanting to do more supporting roles but I think at one time he was always sought after for the leads. In and Out was a great example of how great he does in a supporting role. He has a new agent now so maybe he may surprise us and show up in a film or 2.

Can you believe how often his movies pop up on TV? I swear every week you see QDU, or one of the Three Men movies. He needs to get busy. We would gladly pay to see him in more supporting roles...right?

SelleckLover

#114 Post by SelleckLover »

I once read an interview with Don Bellisario and he made the statement that TS was "too big for the small screen, and too small for the big screen." I think that statement is partially true, but as layne said, he would be great on the big screen in a supporting role, like in In And Out, in which he was terrific, BTW!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#115 Post by golfmobile »

SL and layne,

DVDs on the way to each of you. Just keep in mind, this really is a dreadful movie (I'd forgotten HOW bad until I was checking the copies and if they "took" -- so maybe Concrete Cowboys is looking slightly better in the rankings :lol: ).

You will have to play around a little bit with the Menu and Play to get it to play, as it doesn't have an auto-start/run with it and no title page, etc., as on a "regular" DVD movie. But it will play. Keep an eye out for how, early in the movie when TS comes "home" with this painting and he walks into his house with his wife, they have their arms around each other -- and his hand drops down and he cops a feel! It really looks outrageous to me. Not outrageous for a husband to do, but strangely out of place for an unknown actor to do to his co-star. If I had been her, I would have whirled around and slapped the ** out of him. It just looks that "off" to me. If it had been planned, I think there would have been some scripted reaction on her part, like a giggle or flirty bump-his-hip-with-hers movement or something! But it just zooms right on by. Let me know what you think. Still, it cracks me up. I put a small screenshot of that scene on the label I made for you. See if you can spot it.

Enjoy! The movie is so bad, it's good, if you can see what I mean (and you will -- dying to hear your impressions). Should definitely become a cult classic.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover

#116 Post by SelleckLover »

golfmobile wrote:
If I had been her, I would have whirled around and slapped the ** out of him.
If I had been her, I would have hoped he'd do it again! :D

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#117 Post by golfmobile »

In private, okay. In "public," with cameras rolling, I found it insensitive, crass, low-class, common, immature, and intrusive -- and just plain rude. Which is very unusual for our man. But maybe it was the vagaries of youth -- I guess he is entitled to be young and stupid once in his life . . . . Or maybe it was scripted and they cut something later. Just look at it when you get the DVD and see if you don't think it looks inappropriate . . . or something.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

layne
Vice Admiral

#118 Post by layne »

OK. Now I'm going to be driving the mailcarrier crazy waiting for my DVD! lol

Golf, this is just the kind of stuff I love. Being able to watch an unknown Tom Selleck cop a feel! Priceless! I love that you even put a screenshot of that scene on the label! You're awesome. I'll give you my thoughts when I check out the scene!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#119 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:In private, okay. In "public," with cameras rolling, I found it insensitive, crass, low-class, common, immature, and intrusive -- and just plain rude. Which is very unusual for our man. But maybe it was the vagaries of youth -- I guess he is entitled to be young and stupid once in his life . . . . Or maybe it was scripted and they cut something later. Just look at it when you get the DVD and see if you don't think it looks inappropriate . . . or something.

golf
Which movie is this from? DoS or CC?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

layne
Vice Admiral

#120 Post by layne »

James...it's from DOS.