Tom Selleck Pilots

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#31 Post by golfmobile »

IH,

Got it!

I have no idea why such a shot of the Twin Towers would be used here. It really makes no sense, even if trying to imply this is the French port at sunset before the night shot.

Maybe someone else is more familiar with the NYC skyline who can say yea or nay. I can't. But that's the shot that precedes the above "French Port" night shot, which does seem to imply that the previous sunset shot was at the same place. :?: :shock: :?

Am still working on getting pictures. I just now (after burning two DVDs) found out the DVDs won't play on any player but the burner if I set the recording speed to be higher than 2 hours (like you can with a VHS tape) (but 2 hours is normal single-side DVD size), so I just wasted 3 hours recording this movie twice and trying to play it on another DVD player. It will play on my computer, but not on another DVD player hooked up at another TV. So now I'm recording it AGAIN so hopefully I can burn it to a DVD for SelleckLover and some others. If not, everyone, be prepared: You may be getting a DVD that will play only on your computer.

IH, was there anything else you wanted pictures of? I'm trying to get one of Kenneth Tigar to accompany the "credits" shot. Plus in viewing the movie again, I'll see if anything else stands out. But feel free to request anything specific you think should be added to our "knowledge base."

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#32 Post by IslandHopper »

I think that's it Golf. Thank you again for the screen shots. They came out great. I didn't mean to create all that work for you. I will have to learn how to do that so I can share some of the burden with you. I'll will probably be able to use my son's laptop. It is newer than my PC and more advanced. Thanks again. :)
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#33 Post by golfmobile »

IH,

My pleasure! I'm always happy to help here! I get so much from everyone else every day. I'll post more pictures when and if I find more that I think will be of interest to everyone.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

eeyore
Admiral

#34 Post by eeyore »

Don't see any mention of it here but TGW is for sale at Amazon, and Sea Change is to be released in a few weeks!! Now maybe they'll sell the Chinese Typewriter too!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#35 Post by rubber chicken »

golfmobile wrote:Did anyone recognize the beach the three of them are walking on when Tom convinces his partner to go on with the assignment (which was a STRANGE scene to me -- such a long POV of a long conversation before there were any close-ups -- editing? [I'll post a screenie of this too, in case someone is familiar with Hawaii/Oahu but hasn't seen the movie yet.]
I just posted about this in this thread. Thanks for your screenshots. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if the beach was used in a number of other episodes too.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

OK, now I know why I didn't realize that there was already a thread about these two shows -- like "Gypsy Warriors," it starts off kinda slow! In fact, it seems to start up in mid-thread -- are we missing some posts?

I had just started another thread on the same topic, but will copy my initial post to this one and redirect any traffic over here. Thanks for alerting me, IH!
Last edited by Carol the Dabbler on Tue May 13, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Carol

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

[copied over from the aforementioned other thread] I have recently had the pleasure of watching two pre-Magnum Tom Selleck pilots, recorded off the Sleuth channel by a thoughtful friend. The two shows -- "The Gypsy Warriors" (1978) and "The Chinese Typewriter" (1979) -- have quite a bit in common:

1. Both star Tom Selleck and James Whitmore, Jr. In both, Whitmore plays the brains of the operation.

2. Both were written and produced by Stephen J. Cannell. (BTW, I just found out that his name is pronounced like "candle" without the "d" -- not "k'NELL" as I had always assumed.)

3. Both have catchy theme music by Pete Carpenter & Mike Post.

4. Both have a military connection. In GW, Selleck and Whitmore play American soldiers in WWII France. In CT, Selleck plays a Vietnam-era veteran who served in Cambodia.

5. In both, the good guys establish a phony identity by contacting the baddie ahead of time, asking if so-and-so is there.

But there are also some differences. For example:

1. Even though GW was made only a year before CT, it has a much older feel to it. This may have been somewhat intentional (it is, after all, a period piece), but it comes across as dated and amateurish.

2. The version of GW that I saw appears to have come from video tape; the colors are washed-out and run-together compared to the crisp look of CT.

And here are a few random comments:

1. Tom Selleck's first scene in CT shows him coaching a Little League team called the Tigers. The kids are wearing bright-red uniforms supplied by their sponsor(s), Al's Automotive & Muffler King!!! The coach has a matching shirt, of course, and a very familiar-looking cap.

2. In GW, a slightly pre-WKRP Richard Sanders does a fine job of playing a German scientist, a role very different from "Les Nessman."

3. Much as I enjoyed seeing these pilots, I'm sure glad they didn't sell, because I like Magnum a whole lot better!
Carol

eeyore
Admiral

#38 Post by eeyore »

Good point , What if they had sold, what if TS did Indiana Jones and passed on Magnum? I have to give him HUGE credit for making the show a success, I can't imagine any other actor playing Magnum, except maybe Michael Keaton or Mark Harmon?

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#39 Post by IslandHopper »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:[copied over from the aforementioned other thread] I have recently had the pleasure of watching two pre-Magnum Tom Selleck pilots, recorded off the Sleuth channel by a thoughtful friend. The two shows -- "The Gypsy Warriors" (1978) and "The Chinese Typewriter" (1979) -- have quite a bit in common:

1. Both star Tom Selleck and James Whitmore, Jr. In both, Whitmore plays the brains of the operation.

2. Both were written and produced by Stephen J. Cannell. (BTW, I just found out that his name is pronounced like "candle" without the "d" -- not "k'NELL" as I had always assumed.)

3. Both have catchy theme music by Pete Carpenter & Mike Post.

4. Both have a military connection. In GW, Selleck and Whitmore play American soldiers in WWII France. In CT, Selleck plays a Vietnam-era veteran who served in Cambodia.

5. In both, the good guys establish a phony identity by contacting the baddie ahead of time, asking if so-and-so is there.

But there are also some differences. For example:

1. Even though GW was made only a year before CT, it has a much older feel to it. This may have been somewhat intentional (it is, after all, a period piece), but it comes across as dated and amateurish.

2. The version of GW that I saw appears to have come from video tape; the colors are washed-out and run-together compared to the crisp look of CT.

And here are a few random comments:

1. Tom Selleck's first scene in CT shows him coaching a Little League team called the Tigers. The kids are wearing bright-red uniforms supplied by their sponsor(s), Al's Automotive & Muffler King!!! The coach has a matching shirt, of course, and a very familiar-looking cap.

2. In GW, a slightly pre-WKRP Richard Sanders does a fine job of playing a German scientist, a role very different from "Les Nessman."

3. Much as I enjoyed seeing these pilots, I'm sure glad they didn't sell, because I like Magnum a whole lot better!
Carol,

As I mentioned on the other thread, the other thing these two pilots have in common are a lot of flubs. It has been several months since I have seen either pilot, so please bear with me.

Did you also notice that much of The Chinese Typewriter was shot in Hawaii, and featured "Robin's Nest," "The Marks Estate," which is one of the locations of the KKC. In addition, there are several Magnum alums in the Chinese Typewriter, such as Kathryn Leigh Scott who played Christine in “The Black Orchid” and George Fisher who played in “Thank Heaven For Little Girls And Big Ones Too.”

Chinese Typewriter Flubs:

1. When TS, JWjr and their pilot (Miller) land on the island, stock footage is used that is supposed to represent the fictional island, however, one of the shots is from underneath the wing of a jet as it is taxiing and you can clearly see the building/air traffic control tower at Honolulu Int’l Airport. This is a familiar sight often seen in Hawaii Five-O.

2. After TS, JWjr and Miller walk out of the airport you will see two guys in suits sitting in a car (Chevrolet) watching them (CIA, I think). The license plate on the car is clearly a California license plate. The problem with that is they are supposed to be in a foreign country, not California. In addition, the same footage of these two guys in the car is also used later in the movie.

3. When TS, JWjr and Miller are initially scouting the airport and devising their plan, they break into the hangar and see all of the military guys sleeping. Before they are discovered they are on their way out and you can see the big sliding door right in front of them. No one else is there. They are discovered by the guards and have to hurry out of the hangar. As they slide the door open the camera cuts to a shot from outside of the hangar as the three are running out, and as they run out, you will see a guy in shorts and a golf shirt with his hands in his pockets standing there very casually. It is obvious that he is not supposed to be in the shot. :roll: How stuff like this gets into the movie is beyond me.

4. The footage of the female pilot taking off in the 737 when they first commandeer it is the same footage used at the end when she and William Daniels' character steal it back. Note the cars chasing them down the runway after the tower clears them for take-off.

5. The footage of Tom Selleck and James Whitmore, Jr. from their first meeting with Don Ameche in the RV is used again at the end when they meet for the second time with Don Ameche in the RV. When TS and JWjr first meet with Ameche, TS is wearing his red Tigers jersey over a ¾ sleeve shirt with red sleeves, and JWjr is wearing an ash colored sweat-shirt. However, when they are picked up by the two CIA agents from their baseball practice, TS is not wearing his red Tigers jersey, only the ¾ sleeve shirt with red sleeves and JWjr is wearing a button-down shirt with a collar.

Gypsy Warriors Flubs:

1. The story was supposed to take place in 1940 Europe during the early stages of WWII. The problem with that is the United States didn't enter the war until December 1941. I believe the two were stationed out of London at the time. They could have been covert agents, but if they were then they probably wouldn't have been wearing their U.S. Army uniforms while in London, advertising the fact that they were Americans, since we had not declared war on Germany at that point. Therefore, I believe that is a flub.

2. During the movie, TS, JWjr or their commanding officer, Ted Gehring, mentioned that their orders came from the Pentagon (Washington, D.C.). The problem with this is that the Pentagon wasn't built until 1943, three years after this was supposed to take place.

3. At the beginning of the movie you see some secret agent infiltrating the U.S. (New York). They show a clip of the skyline and you can see the "Twin Towers" (World Trade Center). Now, this is an inexcusable flub as the Twin Towers were not completed until 1974. Golf has provided the screen shot of the skyline with the towers visible. It is just above, dated January 15, 2008.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Well, at least it was supposed to be New York (and not a French seaport -- that had me puzzled, too).

I'm also glad to hear that Hubby and I weren't imagining things when we recognized the Anderson Estate.

The main reason we thought it couldn't really be the AE was the shots of those Mediterranean-looking houses and other buildings. Those had us thinking they really had filmed in the Caribbean, in which case they wouldn't have gone all the way to Hawaii for a few scenes. So where were those buildings? Los Angeles? They sure didn't look like Hawaii.

Does everyone have this thread starting with golf's post that starts out with --
Now is this what you were calling the Marks Estate? This looks more like the Anderson Estate (i.e.,Robin's Nest) to me, except it appears to have a paved driveway.
Clearly *not* the original first post! Any ideas as to what happened to the rest, and/or what's missing? I cannot believe that no one else was boggled by seeing those red "Al's Automotive & Muffler King" shirts!
Carol

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#41 Post by golfmobile »

Carol,

Go:

here

which is the Jan. 6, 2008, posts in the Magnum PI Talk Thread, subthread Al's Automotive cap, and you'll see screen caps there of the hat showing up in the Chinese Typewriter movie, as we discovered and discussed back in January. And several more pages of that thread continuing discussing CT, so keep going on that one until you get bored.

So many of these things get mentioned in so many of the threads that it's hard to keep up with where they all are since they are so scattered and so frequently discussed when it reminds one of us of something else!

I think, but I'm not sure, that the CT discussion rather usurped that thread so that part of the discussion or the following part got moved to the "Pilots" subject thread. But I'm not sure. I just know I use "Search" a lot to find something I know has been mentioned but I can't find it when I need it!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

golfmobile wrote:I think, but I'm not sure, that the CT discussion rather usurped that thread so that part of the discussion or the following part got moved to the "Pilots" subject thread.
Thanks, golf -- that would explain the rather in-medias-res beginning of this thread. Thanks also for the link -- I will check it out.

Odd, though, I actually did use the Search function, as you recommended, before starting my GW & CT thread. As I recall, I searched for "Al's Automotive & Muffler King" plus several variations, and didn't find anything substantive. Maybe I misspelled something? :roll:
Carol