Tom Selleck Pilots

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

Tom Selleck Pilots

#1 Post by golfmobile »

Now is this what you were calling the Marks Estate? This looks more like the Anderson Estate (i.e.,Robin's Nest) to me, except it appears to have a paved driveway.

Image[url]

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#2 Post by IslandHopper »

No, that is not what I was referring to as the Mark's estate. I DVR'd the movie too, so I'll re-watch it and try to give you a better idea of where it appears in the movie.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#3 Post by golfmobile »

IH,

Okay, let me know where to look for it and if you want, I'll add some pictures of it too.

Doesn't this one, though, look like Robin's Nest to you too?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

golf,

Those pics are of the Anderson Estate (aka Robin's Nest). The Marks Estate was used as the second location of the King Kamehameha Club. Here is a pic of the Marks Estate (the often seen "establishing shot" of the club):

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#5 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:IH,

Okay, let me know where to look for it and if you want, I'll add some pictures of it too.

golf
Yeah, and I believe it is, but I also noticed that the driveway seems to be paved. I don't know when this movie was filmed, but I think it was released sometime in 1980, right around the time when the first season of MPI was being shot. But, the driveway in all of the MPI episodes seems to be dirt or clay. I wonder why the driveway looks so different considering that both projects were probably shot around the same time frame?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#6 Post by Doc Ibold »

IslandHopper wrote:
golfmobile wrote:IH,

golf
Yeah, and I believe it is, but I also noticed that the driveway seems to be paved. I don't know when this movie was filmed, but I think it was released sometime in 1980, right around the time when the first season of MPI was being shot. But, the driveway in all of the MPI episodes seems to be dirt or clay. I wonder why the driveway looks so different considering that both projects were probably shot around the same time frame?
IH, I agree with you, but speaking from some (detached) experience, there is a process in which you can apply a chemical to a dirt road to make the dirt uniform so the ride FEELS like you are riding on a paved road (of course adding proper grading - An old girlfriend of mines stepdad used to do it for a living.

It doesn't last very long, maybe a week or two at the most. So, if the movie was done in 1980 and they only shot for a couple of weeks, the dirt would be back within a matter of weeks.

As you can tell, it's not that great of a process.

:lol:

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#7 Post by rubber chicken »

I also noticed the driveway. I'm thinking that it isn't paved. You can see on the low side (the left or further away side) what looks to me like dirt that hasn't dried out as fast as the rest of the driveway. The edging looks more defined than in Magnum P.I. though.

It doesn't make any sense to rip up a driveway anyway. A driveway that long would take big bucks to pave in the first place, and again to rip up.

It's funny, but the estate looks "young" due to the landscaping being smaller and not so overgrown. Through the course of the show things grew more and more, maybe to keep tourists from disturbing the crew (or family) and now of course things are way overgrown. Must be better for privacy but I wonder if Mrs. Anderson wishes she could go back to before Magnum P.I. and have the place (and beach) more to herself and family. I'd miss having such a clear view of the ocean.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#8 Post by golfmobile »

IH,

Did you find where you thought you saw the Mark's Estate in The Chinese Typewriter? Let me know where it is that you find it, and I'll track it down and add pictures of it. I don't recall it in the movie, though Robin's Nest sure stuck out like a sort thumb when it came up -- especially pre-MPI. (For those of you who haven't seen the movie yet, it was the mansion/estate of the "bad guy" who stole all the money and ran away to a Caribbean island -- so it was supposed to be there and not in Hawaii. And the interior scenes of it were definitely not the same as those used in MPI -- much larger rooms with much more light, much higher ceilings, and very modern looking. They didn't look at all as though they belonged in that house, so I tend to believe only the exterior was used, not the real interior. Anyway, the interiors used in MPI looked as though they fit in the actual Anderson estate more than the ones in TCT. But I tend to like the old-fashioned, near Victorian or at least Edwardian decor, antiques and all that, lots of aged (unpainted) wood. You know what I mean.

Never mind . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#9 Post by rubber chicken »

If I remember correctly the Mark's Estate in TCT was the russian embassy, maybe not the aerial shot, but when they were driving away. So after the pilot was caught and interrogated. Is that right? It's only two days ago now but it's already a bit hazy.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#10 Post by IslandHopper »

Golf,

RC is correct. At about 1 hour and 6 minutes into the movie (DVR time) you see TS on the pay telephone trying to speak spanish. Just after that you will see an overhead shot of several cars racing through winding roads and then you will see the Russian Embassy. At about 1 hour and 7 minutes in, you see JWJr inside the embassy and you will see TS sitting in the Honeybee, waiting for JWJr's signal. JWJr will waive his head-dress out of the window, which is the cue for TS to go get him. As TS drives forward you can see that it is the Marks Estate from the driveway. The exact angle and shot of the estate you see in the movie is provided on this site's main page under King Kamehameha Club (Marks Estate Driveway). It is one of the four photos under the Marks Estate category. That particular shot may be seen twice (I think), but they are very quick glimpses and appear only for about 2 seconds.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#11 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, cool! If it was the Russian Embassy, I can find that. I confess I didn't recognize it at all when JWJr walked into it and when he waved his headpiece out the window (and speaking of that, he could really pass as a Saudi nowadays, couldn't he? NOT! I thought that was really "jumping the shark" to try to pass him off as of Mid-Eastern ethnicity without ANY extra make-up or anything like that! Sheesh!). I'll try to get some screenshots tonight and post them. (I have to work today and don't have the DVD or DVD player here with me.)

Stay tuned! Pix of the KKC as a Russian Embassy in the Caribbean coming soon. (From a practical standpoint, would this "country" have been large/important enough to HAVE a Russian Embassy??)

So, if so many other "tropical" scenes were actually Hawaii and not the Caribbean (I suppose from L.A. it's closer to Hawaii than the Caribbean . . . . ), other than the mention of the beach shower scene, did anyone recognize any other Hawaii locations? I'm not all that familiar with Oahu, having been only to Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island. Did anyone recognize the beach the three of them are walking on when Tom convinces his partner to go on with the assignment (which was a STRANGE scene to me -- such a long POV of a long conversation before there were any close-ups -- editing? [I'll post a screenie of this too, in case someone is familiar with Hawaii/Oahu but hasn't seen the movie yet.] I would think they would have edited back and forth between long shots and close-ups, plus different views of each -- from the rear, side, etc., if they're going to spend that long in a distance shot of the three walking along the beach. Just looked awkward to me and even though the sound was fine, I found myself leaning forward as if to listen to a conversation so far away.)

Anyone else notice the alligator on Tom's shirt? I don't recall that he ever wore an Izod shirt in MPI. Did he?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#12 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:Anyone else notice the alligator on Tom's shirt? I don't recall that he ever wore an Izod shirt in MPI. Did he?

golf
He wore a navy blue or black Izod golf/tennis shirt at the end of "No Need To Know." He puts it on just after he finishes searching the tidal pool for a weapon Sampson may have dropped when he was shot the night before. He is wearing it when Mandy is shot by the SAS, just before Magnum takes off in the Ferrari after Higgins.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#13 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:
Did anyone recognize the beach the three of them are walking on when Tom convinces his partner to go on with the assignment (which was a STRANGE scene to me -- such a long POV of a long conversation before there were any close-ups -- editing? [I'll post a screenie of this too, in case someone is familiar with Hawaii/Oahu but hasn't seen the movie yet.]
Golf,

I think that scene on the beach is the same beach that was shown in "Three Minus Two" (season 2), when Magnum first met Jan Kona at the KKC. The club was too crowded so they took a walk on the beach. If it's not to much trouble, perhaps you can give us a screen shot of Magnum and Jan Kona walking on that beach too. If that is the same beach, it probably was from Oahu as it was supposed to be adjacent to the KKC. That doesn't mean it actually was of course. Thanks. :)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#14 Post by golfmobile »

IH,

No can do. I don't have the Seasons DVDs so I can't add a screen shot from that episode. Maybe someone else can.

:cry:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!