Terminal Island

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Terminal Island

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

So, who here has seen Terminal Island (1973), with a young Tom Selleck and Roger E. Mosley (and Phyllis Davis)? And more importantly, did anyone get to see it at a drive-in? ;)

I've been wanting to see this for years, but the stars havn't aligned for me yet. One of these days, hopefully, I'll get to see it!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#2 Post by rubber chicken »

Wow, Selleck and Mosley worked together seven years before Magnum P.I. Never would have guessed. It sounds like a pretty good bad movie, and I'd love to see it.

Here's hoping it will be released on dvd in the near future. Are you listening Criterion Collection? :wink:

I found a very lengthy write-up about it here.

Check out Mr. Selleck, hardly recognizable. Reminds me of the Geico caveman commercials.
ImageImage

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

I haven't seen this movie, but it sounds similar to the Ray Liotta movie "No Escape" without the B :shock: :shock: BS.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by Kahunagirl »

I got curious and checked out ebay -- and there are actually quite a few copies of the DVD available -- with very low bids on them, go figure! :lol:

Kahunagirl

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh wow, look at Selleck! Unrecognizable indeed. :shock:

This movie apparently has actually had a DVD release (in 2005), but it appears that it was heavily edited down from its original form (while still retaining its 'R' rating). There doesn't appear to be an unedited version available on DVD.

(Amazon Reviews)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Miss Q »

The movie is horrible, but it has TS in it so it's in my collection
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

bransonch
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Phyllis Davis

#7 Post by bransonch »

Yes, the movie is pretty bad, but it's got a little bit of the Escape from New York idea...an island of prisoners. Cool!

One of the best things in the movie is a topless Phyllis Davis (OMG!), who we all know as Rick Wright's Cleo. She was a mainstay in late 60s, 70s, and 80s television. Va-va-voom.

Selleck's character is a doctor who was convicted of murder on a "technicality"...for pulling the plug on a brain-dead patient with the wife's consent, but not the patient's father's consent.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Seaver41 »

topless Phyllis Davis?...........that'd make me do the Curly Shuffle

Jake
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by Jake »

Who wouldnt want to watch "the most exciting motion picture of the decade", especially after checking out this badass trailer....enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRU1V0a2 ... plpp_video

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#10 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Jake wrote:Who wouldnt want to watch "the most exciting motion picture of the decade", especially after checking out this badass trailer....enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRU1V0a2 ... plpp_video
Awesome.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by AmandaByNight »

I really liked Terminal Island. There is a conversation about this movie somewhere on Larry's FB page for his radio show. It's a lot of fun, and notable mostly for being directed by a woman (aside from the Mosley/Selleck connection). The premise is insane and the film is totally 70s. Very watchable I think, despite its flaws, but I feel that way about a lot of B movies from that decade.

Also, Rick had a small part in the TV movie The Girl Most Likely To... with Stockard Channing. Anyone else see that movie? It's excellent!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Terminal Island

#12 Post by marlboro »

Here it is on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGzH_dnA7A

nsfw obviously