RIP Angela Lansbury

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

litefoot
Vice Admiral

RIP Angela Lansbury

#1 Post by litefoot »

96. In her sleep. What a legend she was!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63221326

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: RIP Angela Lansbury

#2 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Sorry to see this, she will be missed.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

One of the best....a true "veteran" of stage and screen. Oh boy!.....what a looker she was in her youth!

Really got a "hoot" out of her as "Chad's" mother in Blue Hawaii.....she could do it all....drama to comedy.

Just went to sleep......guess she did everything right! R.I.P.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#4 Post by Pahonu »

308GUY wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:36 pm One of the best....a true "veteran" of stage and screen. Oh boy!.....what a looker she was in her youth!

Really got a "hoot" out of her as "Chad's" mother in Blue Hawaii.....she could do it all....drama to comedy.

…or “Chadwick” as she always called him. :lol:

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:36 pm
308GUY wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:36 pm One of the best....a true "veteran" of stage and screen. Oh boy!.....what a looker she was in her youth!

I forgot about her in BLUE HAWAII. She really was great in that one! Howard McNear from TAGS was also in it. He was always a joy to watch also.

Even older films... I remember her in GASLIGHT (1944), one of my favorite B&W thriller/mysteries. Or as some call it... "the best Hitchcock film that Hitch never directed". :) And then I saw her in DeMille's SAMSON AND DELILAH (1949).

But she will forever be Jessica Fletcher in MURDER, SHE WROTE.

NotthatRick
Admiral

#6 Post by NotthatRick »

Classy lady and a wonderful actress. May she Rest in Peace.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by eagle »

I learned about this just yesterday as we as a family were watching "National Velvet." I forgot that she was in that movie, and my wife and I recalled seeing her in another movie recently, so I checked her IMDB page and saw about her death.

The other movie we recently saw was "Gaslight," which was her first; "National Velvet" was her second.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Chris109 »

Cozytv show MSW all weekend. The one time I turned it on was the Magnum crossover episode.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Chris109 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:48 pm
Pahonu wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:36 pm

I forgot about her in BLUE HAWAII. She really was great in that one! Howard McNear from TAGS was also in it. He was always a joy to watch also.

Even older films... I remember her in GASLIGHT (1944), one of my favorite B&W thriller/mysteries. Or as some call it... "the best Hitchcock film that Hitch never directed". :)
I would have to vote for Charade with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn as the best non-Hitchcock, Hitchcock film.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by eagle »

Charade is one of my all time favorite movies! I agree with the assessment that it is a Non-Hitchcock Hitchcock movie. Gaslight too.

Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Yep, agreed on CHARADE being very Hitchcockian. Great film! I'd rather watch that one than an actual Hitch film like TO CATCH A THIEF.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Chris109 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:51 pm Yep, agreed on CHARADE being very Hitchcockian. Great film! I'd rather watch that one than an actual Hitch film like TO CATCH A THIEF.
Image :lol:

Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I completely forgot about her chilling performance as Mrs. Iselin in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. Without a doubt her most iconic movie role. She was Oscar nominated for it as I recall. I have a particular fondness for the year 1962. Some truly great B&W films were released that year - TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, CAPE FEAR, and BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ and MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (both by John Frankenheimer). Also I finally got around to WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? a few years back and found it quite enjoyable as well. But my favorite film of the year is a color picture. Gotta go with the introduction of 007 with DR. NO. Just raw 007 before all the gadgets set in. Not that I don't love me some gadgets. :wink:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:53 pm I completely forgot about her chilling performance as Mrs. Iselin in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. Without a doubt her most iconic movie role. She was Oscar nominated for it as I recall. I have a particular fondness for the year 1962. Some truly great B&W films were released that year - TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, CAPE FEAR, and BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ and MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (both by John Frankenheimer). Also I finally got around to WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? a few years back and found it quite enjoyable as well. But my favorite film of the year is a color picture. Gotta go with the introduction of 007 with DR. NO. Just raw 007 before all the gadgets set in. Not that I don't love me some gadgets. :wink:
Ivan,
"Chilling" is right, she was one scary witch as Mrs. Iselin.
 In "The Manchurian Candidate" Frank Sinatra and Lawrence Harvey's  squad is captured by the Red Chinese.
They are unknowingly brainwashed, to be used as sleeper agents at a later date after they get back home.
In the book that inspired the movie The Manchurian Candidate, Harvey's communist agent/mole mother(Lansbury) horrifically uses the "control" - a Queen of Diamonds playing card - that triggers his
conditioning to obey all orders.
She commands him to have sex with her.
Such an explicit scene could never get by the studio censors so the movie producers decided to signal the incest to the savvy viewer by having Angela Lansbury kiss him full on the mouth.
Lawrence Harvey does a great job conveying the son's horror by his subsequent behavior, as he becomes a conflicted wretched mess.
Unfortunately the incest angle gets by some viewers so they don't get the full impact of this powerful movie when the last scene occurs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is."
...Yogi Berra

Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:24 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:53 pm I completely forgot about her chilling performance as Mrs. Iselin in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. Without a doubt her most iconic movie role. She was Oscar nominated for it as I recall. I have a particular fondness for the year 1962. Some truly great B&W films were released that year - TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, CAPE FEAR, and BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ and MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (both by John Frankenheimer). Also I finally got around to WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? a few years back and found it quite enjoyable as well. But my favorite film of the year is a color picture. Gotta go with the introduction of 007 with DR. NO. Just raw 007 before all the gadgets set in. Not that I don't love me some gadgets. :wink:
Ivan,
"Chilling" is right, she was one scary witch as Mrs. Iselin.
 In "The Manchurian Candidate" Frank Sinatra and Lawrence Harvey's  squad is captured by the Red Chinese.
They are unknowingly brainwashed, to be used as sleeper agents at a later date after they get back home.
In the book that inspired the movie The Manchurian Candidate, Harvey's communist agent/mole mother(Lansbury) horrifically uses the "control" - a Queen of Diamonds playing card - that triggers his
conditioning to obey all orders.
She commands him to have sex with her.
Such an explicit scene could never get by the studio censors so the movie producers decided to signal the incest to the savvy viewer by having Angela Lansbury kiss him full on the mouth.
Lawrence Harvey does a great job conveying the son's horror by his subsequent behavior, as he becomes a conflicted wretched mess.
Unfortunately the incest angle gets by some viewers so they don't get the full impact of this powerful movie when the last scene occurs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is."
...Yogi Berra
You're right about that incest angle. In the film it's subtle but it's there. I haven't read the book. I'm reminded of GOLDFINGER where Pussy Galore is a lesbian but they couldn't flat out say that in 1964 so it's hinted at in the film. Believe it or not when I first saw the film that aspect completely went over my head. And I wasn't exactly young at the time either. But the line "you can turn off the charm, I'm immune" didn't mean a thing to me, other than she was probably playing hard to get with Bond. I think in the book it's more clear but I haven't read it.

But anyway... I love the "manchurian candidate" part of the whole thing. It's a great trope to use. Look how great it worked out in "Did You See the Sunrise?" - best MPI episode.