Clu Gulager, 1928-2022

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Clu Gulager, 1928-2022

#1 Post by Little Garwood »

Clu Gulager, an omnipresent actor in many 1960s-'80s TV shows, has died age 93. He's best remembered here as Theo Wolf in Magnum, P.I. S6's cold-stone classic, Way of the Stalking Horse. Gulager's role in Magnum differed from the actor's many bad guy roles at which he excelled. Gulager is positively Jokeresque in his S6 Mannix episode, Man Who Wasn't There.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Clu Gulager, 1928-2022

#2 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:52 pm Clu Gulager, an omnipresent actor in many 1960s-'80s TV shows, has died age 93. He's best remembered here as Theo Wolf in Magnum, P.I. S6's cold-stone classic, Way of the Stalking Horse. Gulager's role in Magnum differed from the actor's many bad guy roles at which he excelled. Gulager is positively Jokeresque in his S6 Mannix episode, Man Who Wasn't There.
I enjoyed his performance in The Streets of San Francisco episode Poisoned Snow as a corrupt officer whose actions cost his son (Mark Hamill) his life.

I just rewatched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night and he sold Sharon Tate the book before she went to the theater to see her own film. He must have been near 90 in that role.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:52 pm Clu Gulager, an omnipresent actor in many 1960s-'80s TV shows, has died age 93. He's best remembered here as Theo Wolf in Magnum, P.I. S6's cold-stone classic, Way of the Stalking Horse. Gulager's role in Magnum differed from the actor's many bad guy roles at which he excelled. Gulager is positively Jokeresque in his S6 Mannix episode, Man Who Wasn't There.
I remember seeing Clu in the 1974 John Wayne cop film (yes, Duke did 2 of those I think) called McQ. Gulager turned out to be the baddie in that film (what else, right?). But despite being one of the main supporting cast members he had very little screen time. Makes me think that maybe a lot of his scenes were cut or something. He was like the 4th or 5th billed actor in that film but many of the smaller billed actors actually ended up with more screen time than him. In fact Roger E. Mosley was in that one too (like 11th billed or something) and he probably had more screen time than Clu. I thought that was odd. The film is worth checking out, if only for the stellar car chase on the beach at the end between the Duke and Al Lettieri and his goons. There's an incredible car flip/roll there!!

The one film with Gulager that I really want to check out is the 1964 Don Siegel version of THE KILLERS (a remake of the Burt Lancaster classic). I haven't seen either version. But the 1964 version has the great Lee Marvin in it and Gulager I think is his partner and he's a really nasty piece of work. Also there's Ronald Reagan in his final screen role. So that's all the incentive I need to check this one out. I mean Marvin, Gulager, Angie Dickinson, John Cassavettes, and THE GIPPER??? How could it go wrong!? :D

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Little Garwood »

I used to watch The Virginian during its early seasons--when Lee J. Cobb ran the ranch and the goddess that was Roberta Shore was on the series. :wink: I don't recall many episodes with Clu playing Sheriff Ryker; he obviously made a bigger impression when he played a bad guy!

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:33 pm I used to watch The Virginian during its early seasons--when Lee J. Cobb ran the ranch and the goddess that was Roberta Shore was on the series. :wink: I don't recall many episodes with Clu playing Sheriff Ryker; he obviously made a bigger impression when he played a bad guy!
Roberta Shore? Goddess? Really? :lol: Linda Evans on THE BIG VALLEY I can understand.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Little Garwood »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:44 pm
Little Garwood wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:33 pm I used to watch The Virginian during its early seasons--when Lee J. Cobb ran the ranch and the goddess that was Roberta Shore was on the series. :wink: I don't recall many episodes with Clu playing Sheriff Ryker; he obviously made a bigger impression when he played a bad guy!
Roberta Shore? Goddess? Really? :lol: Linda Evans on THE BIG VALLEY I can understand.
When it comes to attraction, one cannot control what one believes to be a goddess. You'll understand this once you come of age. :wink:

As for Linda Evans, she would never again look as amazing as she did on The Big Valley. I don't know what she did, but she was never the same.

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:47 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:44 pm
When it comes to attraction, one cannot control what one believes to be a goddess. You'll understand this once you come of age. :wink:

As for Linda Evans, she would never again look as amazing as she did on The Big Valley. I don't know what she did, but she was never the same.
Particularly Linda Evans of seasons 3 and 4, where she shed a bit of that schoolgirl image of the first season. She just never looked better! :) But then the 70s and 80s rolled around and she never looked that way again. :( I mean she was in the 1st season of THE ROCKFORD FILES, which was only 5 years after THE BIG VALLEY ended and yet she looked completely different. :shock: And I just don't remember her with a smoky/husky voice on TBV at all. How much did she smoke during that 5 year period????????