Recurring Characters

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MandyIsA10
Lieutenant

Recurring Characters

#1 Post by MandyIsA10 »

I know this has probably been hashed out already on this site, but I thought I would comment on it anyway. One of my favorite things about Magnum PI is the actors coming back to play different characters in other episodes. I sit and wonder if this was almost an inside joke with the producers when they keep bringing back the same actors to play different parts. When I was a kid in the 80s I always thought that Hollywood only had like 20 actors and that was why the same stable of actors were always on Magnum. But as an adult rewatching it, it’s hilarious to see the same people in different episodes. But it’s neat. Maybe it was an 80s thing.....?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Recurring Characters

#2 Post by T.Q. »

Recurring characters?

Or returning actors playing different characters?

Hawaii Five-0 is hilarious that way.

No VCRs. No DVR. Guess they never thought about it much.

Episode ONE-and-DONE... Then probably a repeat. That's it.

Later in the season or next season so many same actors return in a different role.

With syndication and DVDs and such it became a little humourous and so obvious as I'm watching 3 episodes a week.

H50

Monday - Oh, awesome, Kwan Hi Lim (Lt. Tanaka) is in this episode as a ganster.

Friday - Oh, awesome, Kwan Hi Lim (Lt. Tanaka) is in this episode as a police officer.

Week and a half later - Oh, awesome, Kwan Hi Lim (Lt. Tanaka) is in this episode as a distraught father.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

MandyIsA10
Lieutenant

#3 Post by MandyIsA10 »

Oops. I worded the title wrong. My bad. Should be returning actors playing different characters.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I actually don't find this odd at all. I'm just so used to it. But that's probably because I don't watch modern TV. All I watch is old shows and that was the way it was done back then. You could expect the same crop of character actors to pop up on different shows or multiple times on the same show, as different characters. Just the way things were done back then. Doesn't bother me. I recognize the actor and realize he's playing a different character.

MandyIsA10
Lieutenant

#5 Post by MandyIsA10 »

I think it’s cool. My favorite was the older guy who played the mafia type leader on Holmes Is Where The Heart Is. one of my faves.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#6 Post by Pahonu »

I agree with Ivan on the multiple castings. I grew up with this in network series and am not really bothered by it at all. In fact, there were many actors of the era that I would be excited to see listed as guest stars, in TV Guide no less, because they were very talented. Often they had appeared before. My wife used to tease me because I apparently had a list (for you Ivan :D) of favorite character actors that I would tune in to see. Today it means that I DVR an episode of a series if I run across their name. I’m no particular order, they include Anthony Zerbe, Pat Hingle, Diana Muldauer, Roscoe Lee Browne, Henry Darrow, Simon Oakland, and many others.

I do watch modern TV series, and there are a number of original new programs that I enjoy greatly. I’m not going to write off all new content as there is just so much out there to explore. In fact, I think there is more quality programming to choose from today than ever in TV history. I enjoy the variety and perspectives from many writers and creators today that simply weren’t there in years past. However, as I have said before, I think judging older series by today’s standards is simply an apples to oranges comparison. I understand why younger viewers might be distracted by old conventions, but television production was very different just twenty or so years ago. It still produced some incredible series though. Isn’t that why we’re all here talking about a 40+ year old show! :D

MandyIsA10
Lieutenant

#7 Post by MandyIsA10 »

Lol. No offense anyone, but I never said I was bothered by it. Not sure where that is coming from. I like it. I keep seeing the word bothered. Did I write something wrong? 😊

Pahonu

#8 Post by Pahonu »

:D
MandyIsA10 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:05 am Lol. No offense anyone, but I never said I was bothered by it. Not sure where that is coming from. I like it. I keep seeing the word bothered. Did I write something wrong? 😊
No offense taken at all! :D This topic has been brought up multiple times before on the forum and I think longtime members would agree that it’s typically been in a negative context. I’m glad you like it. I certainly do, as my favorite guest actors comment explained. It’s fun having the conversation and sorry if you felt you said something wrong. :D

Going back to your original comment, I do think it was just common practice of the time rather than an inside joke, but I enjoy it either way.

MandyIsA10
Lieutenant

#9 Post by MandyIsA10 »

Oh it’s all good. I’m new to the site. I’ve been reading all your messages for years now. And I finally said I’m gonna jump in here and get involved lol. The show is addictive. I’ve probably watched every episode so many times I lost count. Especially the Holmes episode. I bet I’ve seen that one at least a hundred times. Can’t explain why. That episode is just an addiction. But reading the forums here, the level of detail is amazing from all the Magnum fans. I appreciate all the info provided on this site!

Pahonu

#10 Post by Pahonu »

MandyIsA10 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:59 am Oh it’s all good. I’m new to the site. I’ve been reading all your messages for years now. And I finally said I’m gonna jump in here and get involved lol. The show is addictive. I’ve probably watched every episode so many times I lost count. Especially the Holmes episode. I bet I’ve seen that one at least a hundred times. Can’t explain why. That episode is just an addiction. But reading the forums here, the level of detail is amazing from all the Magnum fans. I appreciate all the info provided on this site!
Welcome then! :magnum:

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Gorilla Mask »

In my opinion, some female characters in MPi should have been better highlighted and could have been the subject of a more recurrent plots... I think of Erin Gray, Mimi Rogers (what a charm!) and of course Jean Bruce Scott, who is all finesse and delicacy...

... But it was another time and maybe female characters in TV series were more easily kept in the background forty years ago... :roll:
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

MandyIsA10
Lieutenant

#12 Post by MandyIsA10 »

Jumping topics but one of my favorite 70s movies was The Killer Elite with James Caan. The bad guy in China Girl, plus Mako from Arrow Not Aimed are in it. I think there may be one more Magnum character in it as well. I like to watch the old movies to see any Magnum characters.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Chris109 »

MandyIsA10 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:56 pm Jumping topics but one of my favorite 70s movies was The Killer Elite with James Caan. The bad guy in China Girl, plus Mako from Arrow Not Aimed are in it. I think there may be one more Magnum character in it as well. I like to watch the old movies to see any Magnum characters.
Love the original Killer Elite:

Tommie : I'm a virgin.

Mike Locken : Well, uh, that's really nice. I really don't have time for your confessions right now. Look kid, I don't want to sound too harsh, but I really don't give a shit.

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#14 Post by Raykv423 »

so I found out Bo Svenson is on a Magnum PI Facebook group I’m in which is cool. One of the rare times I’m genuinely grateful for social media.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by T.Q. »

Raykv423 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:08 am so I found out Bo Svenson is on a Magnum PI Facebook group I’m in which is cool. One of the rare times I’m genuinely grateful for social media.
Looked him up.

Recent post.

Cool. 8)
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.