Frank Lupo has died

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Frank Lupo has died

#1 Post by Pahonu »

I just read in the obituary notices of the LA Times that Frank Lupo has died in Florida. He wrote two episodes of Magnum pi, No Need to Know and The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii, but was better known for his work on The A-Team, Hunter, Wiseguy and a personal favorite of mine, Riptide. According to the notice, he got his first break in the industry after meeting Stephen J Cannell in the commissary of Universal while getting coffee. It became a lifelong friendship and collaboration.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Frank Lupo has died

#2 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

R.I.P.

Now, there was a name that you saw in just about every action show from the 80s!

Pahonu

#3 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:53 am R.I.P.

Now, there was a name that you saw in just about every action show from the 80s!
Indeed, I was a little surprised it was only in the announcements section submitted by family rather than an obituary by the paper itself, particularly the LA Times. Sometimes they appear many days later. They generally do include most Hollywood people, but he had apparently been out of the industry for awhile and across the country in Florida.

Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Names like Stephen J. Cannell, Frank Lupo, Jo Swerling, Babs Greyhosky, Stu Segall, Mike Post, Pete Carpenter, Rick Husky, etc. - you saw them everywhere on TV in the 80s.

Pahonu

#5 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:19 pm Names like Stephen J. Cannell, Frank Lupo, Jo Swerling, Babs Greyhosky, Stu Segall, Mike Post, Pete Carpenter, Rick Husky, etc. - you saw them everywhere on TV in the 80s.
Very true. Most of those names are associated with one of my favorites of the era, Riptide.

Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:19 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:19 pm Names like Stephen J. Cannell, Frank Lupo, Jo Swerling, Babs Greyhosky, Stu Segall, Mike Post, Pete Carpenter, Rick Husky, etc. - you saw them everywhere on TV in the 80s.
Very true. Most of those names are associated with one of my favorites of the era, Riptide.
Heard of it but never seen it. I'm sure it was good, if it was from the Cannell team. I loved THE A-TEAM and HUNTER. Do you remember RENEGADE (with Lorenzo Lamas) in the 90s? Also from Cannell/Segall. I used to love it. Another great theme by Mike Post! But the show hasn't aged as well as some of the 80s shows. I noticed that some of the "action" shows from the 90s have aged worse than shows from earlier decades. Not sure why that is. Maybe it's the acting. I mean Lorenzo Lamas is not a good actor but then I'm not sure Fred Dryer was either, but somehow HUNTER is more watchable. Of course THE A-TEAM had some solid actors (Peppard, Benedict, Schultz) and very good writing which made the chemistry and comedy between the team work. Of course Mr. T became an instant icon!