Tom Writing Memoirs

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Tom Writing Memoirs

#1 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ir-1200076

I'm a little surprised by this. Tom doesn't seem like the "tell all" type. He seems more like a "people need to mind their own business" kinda guy! :wink:

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: Tom Writing Memoirs

#2 Post by Laohu »

I am guessing he will just tell stories and not trash people . He seems to be a stand up guy and takes the high road .

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KingKC »

Laohu wrote:I am guessing he will just tell stories and not trash people . He seems to be a stand up guy and takes the high road .
Agreed

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Chris109 »

Odd that he decides to write it after the release of the new show.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Laohu »

Not really, there is more interest then there has been in years about his time playing Magnum . That’s what happens when a reboot comes out . People remember or develop an interest in the show and want to learn more .

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KingKC »

Chris109 wrote:Odd that he decides to write it after the release of the new show.
Probably has a lot more to do with his age and possibly the twilight of his acting career than the timing of the reboot.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by 308GUY »

Laohu wrote:I am guessing he will just tell stories and not trash people . He seems to be a stand up guy and takes the high road .
To China...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :magnum: (That's a joke son... :wink: )

I for one am looking forward to it.

Hope he devotes at least an entire chapter to MPI and the time he and the guys spent in HI. :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by K Hale »

...to China.

:wink:

EDIT: Damn.... too late
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Laohu »

If I had that movie I would watch it right now :D

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by terryfromkerry »

I am hopeful TS might in advance of starting the memoirs contact Larry & Roger and ask can they recall and contribute any fond memories and stories from their MPI years. This would also hopefully trigger some further MPI memories on his part to relate to us. No John Hillerman unfortunately to consult, which is a shame. Another bonus would be some anecdotes of the many Hollywood celebrities and actors, writers, directors, etc., he met whether in a social or working environment. The list would be impressive. In any event I know I'll purchase, read and enjoy whatever nuggets we get. Towards this, the closing years of his career, (we have to reluctantly accept ) a heartfelt and generous offering of his memoirs would be the iceing on the cake for us ( I strongly suggest !) his most loyal fans.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by K Hale »

At one point after he retired and was living in Lake Arrowhead, Hillerman was in fact writing a book, though I don’t know what it was about and I don’t know if he ever finished it. If it was a memoir, and Selleck contacted the family, perhaps they could be of help.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by terryfromkerry »

K Hale wrote:At one point after he retired and was living in Lake Arrowhead, Hillerman was in fact writing a book, though I don’t know what it was about and I don’t know if he ever finished it. If it was a memoir, and Selleck contacted the family, perhaps they could be of help.
Hi K Hale,

"Oh my God" ! Sorry K , I just blurted that out ! I need to work on my MPI mania composure ! A John Hillerman memoir contribution would absolutely be iceing on the cake ! We can only dream . :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Amian
Admiral

#13 Post by Amian »

Yes, I'm very curious about how he'll approach this. Being a private guy, I don't expect he'll put anything salacious in there. But if you are writing a book to be published, it has to generate public interest. He probably has enough fans out there who will want to read the book even without anything scandalous or titillating for a general audience, but I can also imagine publishers asking him to spill the tea.

This has probably been hashed out elsewhere, but a long time ago I read Larry Manetti's memoir... left something to be desired.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by K Hale »

Amian wrote:
Yes, I'm very curious about how he'll approach this. Being a private guy, I don't expect he'll put anything salacious in there. But if you are writing a book to be published, it has to generate public interest. He probably has enough fans out there who will want to read the book even without anything scandalous or titillating for a general audience, but I can also imagine publishers asking him to spill the tea.

This has probably been hashed out elsewhere, but a long time ago I read Larry Manetti's memoir... left something to be desired.
So have I. But Selleck is a different sort of person.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by perfectlykevin »

I'd imagine that the book would be pretty tame, no scandals etc, however his time from Magnum and other ventures will have many wanting to know what it was like for him. I'm eager to hear more about the book and his time particularly, on Magnum :D