Tom Writing Memoirs

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Re: Tom Writing Memoirs

#16 Post by Chris109 »

perfectlykevin wrote:I'd imagine that the book would be pretty tame, no scandals etc, however his time from Magnum and other ventures will have many wanting to know what it was like for him. I'm eager to hear more about the book and his time particularly, on Magnum :D
I'd like to know about the non-scandal of him stealing water for avocados. :lol:

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by K Hale »

Chris109 wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:I'd imagine that the book would be pretty tame, no scandals etc, however his time from Magnum and other ventures will have many wanting to know what it was like for him. I'm eager to hear more about the book and his time particularly, on Magnum :D
I'd like to know about the non-scandal of him stealing water for avocados. :lol:
That can be the title! Instead of “Like Water for Chocolate,” he can call it “Like Water for Avocados.”
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Steve »

I have always been curious about his marriage to Jackie Ray, if he still communicates with her, his step-son Kevin and their relationship...This coming from a two time matrimonial bloke myself........

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ir-1200076
I'm a little surprised by this. Tom doesn't seem like the "tell all" type. He seems more like a "people need to mind their own business" kinda guy! :wink:
Hi MagnumsLeftShoulder,
Thank you for the link, I for one really look forward to Selleck's Bio. I went on a search to find more info about it but instead came across a notice for
Tom Selleck's obituary. As we all know TS is still with us, but I went to it, "Magnum P.I. Stars Final Words" Here is the link on Face Book:

https://conservativetears.com/2019/02/12/magnum-nips/

I had to read it twice before the penny dropped and I understood it was a failed attempt at humor.
Also at the site were other obits for such as Dick Van Dyke, who is without a doubt in the very top ranking of the most beloved entertainers of the
20th century, world wide.
Their crime was they supported a particular political view. So this jackass writes obits for them that haven't a wisp of wit or informed satire about them.
Just bad taste.
His frame of reference is - like all extremists Left and Right - if you disagree with my political views which I hold because I am so wise, you are a fool
and a bad citizen to boot.
I can only imagine what garbage Tom gets in the mail from such people.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why they didn't teach you all the lyrics in grade school to My Darling Clementine, Clementine being a gold fields fun girl:
"Though in life I used to hold her
Now in death I draw the line"

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Kevster »

If Tom were to write about anything that would be critical I'd say it would be about the business. He does seem like the high road type where personal relationships are concerned, but he does not seem like a guy that would be fond of the darker side of dealing with Hollywood.

Oh, and I fully suspect that he wants to release it while the new MPI is on AND the NEW INDIANA JONES is coming out. He was almost the character, and his almost involvement is not really all that well known.... It might help sell a few copies.

A REALLY cool thing for IJ5 would be to have Tom appear in it as a character a bit similar and contemporary to IJ, and as someone that IJ/HF respects. Maybe as a character who was once in the Navy and who ended up doing special ops with Indy in WWII, and that shows up in the story set in a later decade (probably 60's).... As geriatrics that still have something.

A little couple minute scene or short story arc would be cool. Tom's role in Killers would be a good analogy for what I'm describing. A legit bad ass who has seasoned. Team them up for a part of the movie.

Spielberg could do something cool like that!

I still hope for them to bring in Chris Pratt as some illegitimate son of IJ and that could create a spin off. I don't think HF still has the box office appeal to carry the next movie. CP is one of the few with the sheer physicality and charm that the role needs, and he's in two high profile franchises that will be coming out in the next couple of years...
Trust Me!!!

ACMS
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by ACMS »

Anymore news on Tom’s memoirs?

Limbo
Lieutenant

#22 Post by Limbo »

I would like to know as well. I asked for this book LAST YEAR for Xmas, and we are still waiting. Seems to be taking a lot longer than expected.
Very good Magnum-san, very good,but why do you care so much for his life?. I don't....I care for yours.

waverly2211
Captain

#23 Post by waverly2211 »

Limbo wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:18 am I would like to know as well. I asked for this book LAST YEAR for Xmas, and we are still waiting. Seems to be taking a lot longer than expected.
A good family friend worked for Universal since the late 50's, he started to write a book about his experiences from a pink page runner to an executive on the corporate money side.

Every time he would sit down and start a chapter, he would inevitably run into something he didn't want to write about that was critical of the subject. Eventually he just quit.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Amian wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:57 pm
Laohu wrote:I am guessing he will just tell stories and not trash people . He seems to be a stand up guy and takes the high road .
This has probably been hashed out elsewhere, but a long time ago I read Larry Manetti's memoir... left something to be desired.
Amian,
I haven't read Larry's bio. Was it badly written? I understand some aspects of his life
might be considered unsavory but most people have pulled some shenanigans at one time or another.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Though I thought of you as a gallant warrior
Did you gird your sword just to gather watercress
in the Kaniha rice fields?"

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#25 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:25 am
Amian wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:57 pm
Laohu wrote:I am guessing he will just tell stories and not trash people . He seems to be a stand up guy and takes the high road .
This has probably been hashed out elsewhere, but a long time ago I read Larry Manetti's memoir... left something to be desired.
Amian,
I haven't read Larry's bio. Was it badly written? I understand some aspects of his life
might be considered unsavory but most people have pulled some shenanigans at one time or another.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Though I thought of you as a gallant warrior
Did you gird your sword just to gather watercress
in the Kaniha rice fields?"
My wife bought me the book when it came out. My take at the time, and this was long before I found this forum, was that it wasn’t very informative really. He told a lot of personal stories, which were fun, but included far less about the show’s production details than I expected or hoped for. He also included recipes he enjoyed cooking ?!?!? along with more personal stories to go along with them. I would say overall it felt more like a personal memoir in general than a book about his experiences on the show. Given the title, I suppose I was expecting more about the show and his time on it, than a general memoir. Just my view.

Turkey
Admiral

#26 Post by Turkey »

This would be tops if it's still being written - would love to hear about the Magnum time-period of course, but also the Jesse Stone era.
Make it two weeks.