The Lads

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

NitroNick50
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Lads

#1 Post by NitroNick50 »

I Emailed the site some time back about not having a section on The Lads, when there's a section on almost everything else. I got a response back to the effect that he was busy but would look into doing it. So far, nothing.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Lads

#2 Post by K Hale »

Do they need their own section? Why not just start a Lads thread? Like this one for example. :D
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by MHTR »

K Hale wrote:
Do they need their own section? Why not just start a Lads thread? Like this one for example.
I'll get the ball rolling then with this question: Does anyone know how many different sets of "lads" were used through the show's run?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by 308GUY »

MHTR wrote:
K Hale wrote:
Do they need their own section? Why not just start a Lads thread? Like this one for example.
I'll get the ball rolling then with this question: Does anyone know how many different sets of "lads" were used through the show's run?

http://magnum-mania.com/Characters/Zeus_Apollo.html :magnum:

It's a start.... :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I've always considered the early seasons to have "The Lads", and the later season to have "The Freak Lads" - where the dogs are badly mis-matched in size or they look like bow-legged mutants. I was going to show screenshots of these bow-legged Freak Lad mutants, but then I realized that I don't like any episode in which they appear, so I didn't bother ripping them from DVD.

Did anybody else notice this - or were the later season Lads less freakish than I remembered?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by K Hale »

One of the lads in season 8 was terribly bowlegged and did not match the other dog at all, who was much smaller.

Speaking of the lads. In "Double Jeopardy," Higgins demonstrates the lads' ferocity by having them attack a guy who is referred to as "the wrangler"; he is wearing those padded arm guards so they can bite him. Anyone know if that guy was actually Scott Hart? He has no lines so he isn't credited.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by No need to know! »

K Hale wrote:One of the lads in season 8 was terribly bowlegged and did not match the other dog at all, who was much smaller.

Speaking of the lads. In "Double Jeopardy," Higgins demonstrates the lads' ferocity by having them attack a guy who is referred to as "the wrangler"; he is wearing those padded arm guards so they can bite him. Anyone know if that guy was actually Scott Hart? He has no lines so he isn't credited.
Whoever he is he sure is hiding his face.
Onion´s extra?

Nifty911
Captain

#8 Post by Nifty911 »

I just got a doberman. This dog, even at 11 weeks, is scary smart.

I also learned about something that happened in the 80s called the Magnum effect. They are worried it will happen again, but I think not given the "redo" is so terrible.

https://www.ildoberescue.com/featured-s ... -i-effect/

Nifty911
Captain

#9 Post by Nifty911 »

Nifty911 wrote:I just got a doberman. This dog, even at 11 weeks, is scary smart.

I also learned about something that happened in the 80s called the Magnum effect. They are worried it will happen again, but I think not given the "redo" is so terrible.

As a followup........I can say now with certainty, there is no way Thomas Magnum could outrun the lads. At 6 months, my doberdork is like a missile. I was curious and found Doberman's have been clocked at 32 mph.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by K Hale »

Nifty911 wrote:
Nifty911 wrote:I just got a doberman. This dog, even at 11 weeks, is scary smart.

As a followup........I can say now with certainty, there is no way Thomas Magnum could outrun the lads. At 6 months, my doberdork is like a missile. I was curious and found Doberman's have been clocked at 32 mph.
I figured they weren’t trying to catch him. Once caught, the chase is over, and they only chased him because he ran. :lol: The fun was in the chase!
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Chris109 »

The Lads were nothing but mangy pot hounds anyway.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#12 Post by ConchRepublican »

Chris109 wrote:The Lads were nothing but mangy pot hounds anyway.
Nicely done.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

K Hale wrote:I figured they weren’t trying to catch him. Once caught, the chase is over, and they only chased him because he ran. :lol: The fun was in the chase!
Yes, almost any animal will chase you if you run. There used to be a herd of sheep beside my house and I'd pretend to look worried and run away from them. They'd all watch me, then run like hell after me - some even doing 4-legged hops for extra speed. It was pretty scary, actually.

"Don't look at the sheep, work the lock." (...mangy pot-sheep)

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by KingKC »

Didn't Erin Gray as J. Digger Doyle state that the dogs were supposed to render their prey impotent. I think TC showed a frightful look and mouthed the word "impotent." In any event I would not want two Dobermans chasing me. I wouldn't assume they were chasing me just for the fun of chasing.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by K Hale »

KingKC wrote:Didn't Erin Gray as J. Digger Doyle state that the dogs were supposed to render their prey impotent. I think TC showed a frightful look and mouthed the word "impotent." In any event I would not want two Dobermans chasing me. I wouldn't assume they were chasing me just for the fun of chasing.
I’m sorry but that woman is an idiot. The dogs’ job is to chase down and hold intruders at bay — just as you see them doing with TC— until Higgins arrives to deal with the situation. That way you have a human being making the decisions and not a couple of dogs. They are not supposed to attack and maim or kill every curious tourist, Robin Masters fan, or kid on a dare who hops the fence. Can you imagine the liability? With that mentality, why not just plant land mines and be done with it?

As to whether the lads chased Magnum for fun or not, since they never hurt him, it’s pretty obvious it was just a game to them. Although maybe not to him. In “Echoes of the Mind,” he really did get attacked by a couple of dogs, and when he came into the study with bandages all over himself, Higgins asked what happened and he said he was attacked by a couple of dogs and Higgins looked shocked and appalled thinking it might have been the lads. Obviously that would be a totally unexpected outcome.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!