R.I.P. Marta DuBois

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: R.I.P. Marta DuBois

#16 Post by ConchRepublican »

MikeS wrote:I noticed after the thread here and within a few days Wikipedia had added Died: to the section on the right but at the top of her page it still read "Marta Dubois is a Panamanian actress" - so which is it??? Died has since been removed, around the 14th.

Neither IMDB or Wikipedia made mention of her marriage to Sal Dano, I believe his given name was Salvatore Giardano, I'm sure I've got the spelling wrong. The Sal Dano Actors Workshop was his, or was started in his name or honor.

Interestingly, I had recently listened to the audio of what I think was a Skype conversation with Marta from around 2013. She said a number of times she had lost her husband Sal 6 years ago, he died in 2007. Marta was really shaken by his passing and she said it was what drove her back to the religion of her youth, she was raised Catholic. The conversation was really and mostly about her work in her husband's actors workshop, training young actors to remain moral and not to sellout and do something they would later regret simply to get a part... this interview was 2013, before the MeToo movement.

Two bits I thought were kinda cool and stood out, She was asked something to the affect - what was your favorite role or favorite experience as an actor working on a set... do I really need to say she said Michelle was it. She also mentioned having a conversation with Stacy Keach during some downtime on a set, and that they had a discussion about PEDs in sports, cutting corners to succeed, along those lines. It should be pretty easy to find again if interested.

It was a heavy conversation more about keeping the faith in a difficult career choice, suffering loss, and getting back to a place of peace and joy. I hope she was happy in her last years, and I hope she has atleast planted some good seed in the aspiring actors that found their way to the wokshop.
Very interesting info, thanks MikeS!

I started looking around and came across these.

youtu.be/YyXDVGGV3u8

It looks like the clip above is part of the larger interview you were referencing.

youtu.be/SUHzhYCeQIE
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Yes, thanks so much, MikeS! I was reading a bit about Sal Dano, and apparently he was also Tom Selleck's acting coach at one time!

Thanks also for your links, Conch! Here's another, Marta on Larry's show: http://larrymanetti.blogspot.com/2016/0 ... coach.html I haven't listened to the entire thing though (it's 52 minutes) but what I've heard so far is great!

ConchRepublican

#18 Post by ConchRepublican »

I was able to get the whole interview for those interested.

http://www.morethancake.org/archives/30249
CoziTV Superfan spot

Magnum45
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#19 Post by Magnum45 »

Brand new guy here, and unfortunately some of my very first posts are about the sudden death of Marta Dubois. :(

I just looked her up on imdb a couple of days ago, and found out that she died suddenly in May 2018. I was pretty shocked, and then saddened. And to be perfectly honest, it has hit me pretty hard for some reason ?

It's not like I am obsessed or anything, although I did just join this site, lol, but her character Michelle made a big impact on me, going back 40 years now. And clearly it is having an impact right now. It is strange that news of her death has made me feel this sad and somewhat depressed.

On a positive note, it just makes me appreciate what we do have of her. I really only have ever known her as Michelle, but am going to check out her other bodies of work in TV and film. Just watched the pilot of " Tales of the Gold Monkey" and one of her McBride movies. Plus there is Star Trek TNG, and some other parts. I was very happy to see that she did the McBride TV movies, 10 of them. You get to see her 20 years after Magnum. And she is still a knockout at 50 plus.

And I would like to thank you guys for those interview links. I will have to check them out. Very glad to hear that Michelle was her favourite role. Very glad. :D

So much that I would like to say about Marta, but I will leave it at that.

RIP Marta, you will always be missed, but never forgotten.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Magnum45 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:07 am Brand new guy here, and unfortunately some of my very first posts are about the sudden death of Marta Dubois. :(

I just looked her up on imdb a couple of days ago, and found out that she died suddenly in May 2018. I was pretty shocked, and then saddened. And to be perfectly honest, it has hit me pretty hard for some reason ?

It's not like I am obsessed or anything, although I did just join this site, lol, but her character Michelle made a big impact on me, going back 40 years now. And clearly it is having an impact right now. It is strange that news of her death has made me feel this sad and somewhat depressed.

On a positive note, it just makes me appreciate what we do have of her. I really only have ever known her as Michelle, but am going to check out her other bodies of work in TV and film. Just watched the pilot of " Tales of the Gold Monkey" and one of her McBride movies. Plus there is Star Trek TNG, and some other parts. I was very happy to see that she did the McBride TV movies, 10 of them. You get to see her 20 years after Magnum. And she is still a knockout at 50 plus.

And I would like to thank you guys for those interview links. I will have to check them out. Very glad to hear that Michelle was her favourite role. Very glad. :D

You're not alone. Big fan of hers as well! Marta DuBois was very striking (actually mesmerizing) as Michelle and it's easy to see why Magnum fell so hard for her. She's a major reason why "Memories are Forever" is pretty much tied with "Did You See the Sunrise" as my favorite MPI episode. It's a gut-punch of an episode. A very emotional story!

I first saw her in an episode of WALKER TEXAS RANGER called "Blown Apart" from 1995. She's being targeted by her mad bomber psycho husband played by Ed O'Ross.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by T.Q. »

Magnum45 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:07 am Brand new guy here

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#22 Post by Pahonu »

My memory of her is perhaps a little different. After seeing her in Memories are Forever in its first run, she appeared on most of the episodes of the single season series Tales of the Gold Monkey, which I loved as a kid. I had no idea at the time that Bellisario was responsible for both, even though both Jeff McKay and John Hillerman appeared in the series. :roll: I do remember being surprised when she reappeared on MPI a few years later. I knew she was TM’s former wife, but it was pretty uncommon at the time for such storylines to be revisited on series television. Regardless, she was a very talented and beautiful actress.

ConchRepublican

#23 Post by ConchRepublican »

Magnum45 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:07 am Brand new guy here, and unfortunately some of my very first posts are about the sudden death of Marta Dubois. :(

Welcome Magnum45!!

It's great when "new blood" joins the forum! I appreciate your feelings towards Marta and I get it. These were important memories for our lives and their passing's hit unexpectedly sometimes. I was not familiar with her post Magnum career, I didn't watch many of those shows listed but lately have felt I missed out on Tales of the Gold Monkey, I need to try and track that down.

Again, welcome about our virtual estate!
CoziTV Superfan spot