Props for sale

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

46_James
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Props for sale

#1 Post by 46_James »

Listening to Larry's radio show a week or two ago, he mentioned a few things he has for sale. A few of the guns used on the show, and I think a Rolex that TS gave him. He said they're going to auction soon, not sure where

1 Detonics 9MM Hooded $5,000.00

1 Detonics 45 Cal small $6,000.00

1 Rolex midsize jewbeli gold $12,500.00

1 Magnum crew jacket given by Select $2,500.00

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Props for sale

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

This would be interesting to know more about. I guess the watch and the jacket aren't really props. Would be interesting to know what model of Rolex (jubliee refers to the style of bracelet on the watch like below). A bit too gaudy for me, but perhaps suitable for an Icepick type.

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

This is interesting. Looks like Larry had two Rolex watches given as a gift from Selleck? Don't remember hearing about this auction back in October. I must have been AWOL from the forum.

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/l ... da844f19d5
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Derek
Commander

#4 Post by Derek »

Speaking of which, is it ever mentioned or at least hinted where Magnum got his watch from? It is a rather expensive one, and Magnum is usually broke, he cannot pay his parking tickets or reimburse TC for fuel etc. Unlike the Ferrari, he actually possesses his Rolex. Was it perhaps a present from Robin?
I know what you're thinking. And you're right.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Little Garwood »

Derek wrote:Speaking of which, is it ever mentioned or at least hinted where Magnum got his watch from? It is a rather expensive one, and Magnum is usually broke, he cannot pay his parking tickets or reimburse TC for fuel etc. Unlike the Ferrari, he actually possesses his Rolex. Was it perhaps a present from Robin?
You need to "watch" :wink: Home from the Sea.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Derek
Commander

#6 Post by Derek »

Little Garwood wrote:
Derek wrote:Speaking of which, is it ever mentioned or at least hinted where Magnum got his watch from? It is a rather expensive one, and Magnum is usually broke, he cannot pay his parking tickets or reimburse TC for fuel etc. Unlike the Ferrari, he actually possesses his Rolex. Was it perhaps a present from Robin?
You need to "watch" :wink: Home from the Sea.
Thanks, will do that! I see that I still have some gaps in my knowledge :)
I know what you're thinking. And you're right.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KENJI »

Styles Bitchley wrote:This is interesting. Looks like Larry had two Rolex watches given as a gift from Selleck? Don't remember hearing about this auction back in October. I must have been AWOL from the forum.

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/l ... da844f19d5
Hi Styles,

I still think there is one watch based on this Oct. 2015 link you attached.
I think Larry probably got mixed up on the bracelet he had (jubilee, presidential, etc.) when he mentioned the auction on his show. Like he said it remained in his safe for most of the time, so I could see him forgetting exactly what he had.

https://www.crownandcaliber.com/watches/rolex/bracelets

I missed this auction as well. It would be interesting to hear what it sold for and who purchased it......maybe it's one of us.
I find the two rings just as interesting....no mention of the year of each ring (first season, last season or??). I bet he has a box of them and sells them on occasion.....we know he has at least a third one because he wears it in Hawaii FIVE-0.
Last edited by KENJI on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KENJI »

It appears Tom gave Larry a Hublot watch one Christmas to go with his Rolex.....maybe that will come up for auction too, unless it's already been sold.

Found this comment......
"Aloha Magnum" also paints an almost-too-good-to-be true picture of Selleck, who bought Porches, Rolex watches and other expensive gifts for regulars on the show. "I never saw Selleck be anything but a terrific guy," Manetti says. "If you didn't see him in a few months, he'd give you a hug and hand you five Cuban cigars. Not just with me, but everybody. One Christmas he gave me a Hublot watch.

Styles Bitchley

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Interesting. Thanks Kenji!

I wonder if Larry's hurting for cash? Can't see why he'd want to part with these items as they don't really bring in huge cash (relatively speaking).

Does Larry have any kids?

- J.Q.H.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by KingKC »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Interesting. Thanks Kenji!

I wonder if Larry's hurting for cash? Can't see why he'd want to part with these items as they don't really bring in huge cash (relatively speaking).

IMDb states that he has one child.

I also wanted to ask the question about Larry's finances. You never know about a former actor's residuals/royalties. I don't know what was in the contracts of the actors in the eighties. I once heard they were not that great. It was 35 years ago when they signed on for Magnum and who knows? They (the supporting cast) may have been under a studio contract that did not provide for as much as the star. Maybe that is why TS lavished them with gifts. I did some review of the financing of movies, movie stars and movie studios twice (1978 and again in 1989) and the documents/contracts are very, very convoluted. They are definitely not your normal contracts for employment. In fact they were downright weird and almost in-understandable unless you were in the industry and I was not.

KingKC

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by KENJI »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Interesting. Thanks Kenji!

Hi again Styles,

No idea if he is truly hurting for cash...we do know he gets some work on Hawaii FIVE-O, he has his radio show, sells the odd book here and there and still does appearances promoting a product or service, so he is still making something. I'm sure the money is not nearly as good as his days on Magnum, but he is making something. I think he is getting older and these items are just sitting in a safe collecting dust, so why not sell them make a few bucks while he's still alive, pass these great items on to someone who really appreciates them and pay a few bills or buy something he really needs or wants. He does have a son named Lorenzo, but who knows if they are close or not......it might be the reason these items weren't passed on to him or like you said, he was hurting for cash......who knows.

Okay, I just found this interesting bit of info about Lorenzo.....he is a writer/director and has done work on Hawaii FIVE-0....I wonder if he had anything to do with Larry getting on the show.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1760808/

Also, no idea if this guesstimate on his net worth carries any weight, but here it is.......again, who knows.....actually Larry does. :wink:

http://celebrity.money/larry-manetti-net-worth/