Tom Selleck's TV and movie roles

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

Tom Selleck's TV and movie roles

#1 Post by MagnumILWU »

After Magnum pi, I think the Jesse Stone movies, are the best thing Tom Selleck has ever done. I went and saw all his movies, when they came out in the 80's,90's, with high hopes. They were ok, mostly because he was in them. But lets face it, none of them were the, one great movie we were looking for! I enjoyed his two made for TV westerns; The Sackett's, and The Shadow Riders, more than any movie, or other TV movie he made. Even his two appearances as Lance White on The Rockford Files, are better than the other TV shows he has been in! Magnum will always be "The Show"! Back in the 80's, Thursday night was special! Never going anywhere, or doing anything, because Magnum was on! I wanted to love everything he did, I just couldn't!
"pickled egg please"

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Tom Selleck's TV and movie roles

#2 Post by marlboro »

I think An Innocent Man (1989) is my favorite Selleck movie.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

marlboro wrote:I think An Innocent Man (1989) is my favorite Selleck movie.

That's also one of my favorites.

QDU is right up there too, I think it shows the range TS is capable of.

I also enjoyed his portrayal of D.D.Eisenhower in "Ike Countdown to D-Day. Not his best movie, nor the best role he's ever played, but I do think it displays his ability to become "immersed" in a role. Even though it was a made for TV movie, he did an amazing job, IMHO. I know people who didn't even know it was TS playing the part, AFTER they watched it! :magnum:

The TM&B movies have their moments, but for a comedy venue with TS, "Folks" gets my vote. More than a few belly laughs in that one for me.

Haven't seen "Lassiter", so can't really comment on his role in that, but I can say, even though he plays the part very well, and he fits himself into it perfectly, the Lance White type is not my favorite thing he's done. TS will always be Magnum to me. It just seems like he had the most fun with that part. I am also enjoying him in Blue Bloods, it fits him, or he fits it as if it was what he was being groomed for all along.

Oh yea, I have all the Jesse Stone series too, and am looking forward to the new one this fall.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Little Garwood »

MagnumILWU wrote:After Magnum pi, I think the Jesse Stone movies, are the best thing Tom Selleck has ever done. I went and saw all his movies, when they came out in the 80's,90's, with high hopes. They were ok, mostly because he was in them. But lets face it, none of them were the, one great movie we were looking for! I enjoyed his two made for TV westerns; The Sackett's, and The Shadow Riders, more than any movie, or other TV movie he made. Even his two appearances as Lance White on The Rockford Files, are better than the other TV shows he has been in! Magnum will always be "The Show"! Back in the 80's, Thursday night was special! Never going anywhere, or doing anything, because Magnum was on! I wanted to love everything he did, I just couldn't!
There is some interesting discussion about Selleck's post-MAGNUM career in the Tom's Post-Magnum Career: a Disappointment?. Lots of intriguing, unconventional parts but nothing iconic like Thomas Magnum, the role he was obviously born to play.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck