Richard Johnson, R.I.P.

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Richard Johnson, R.I.P.

#1 Post by Little Garwood »

Actor Richard Johnson, who played Brigadier Alistair Ffolkes in season one's No Need to Know, died June 6, 2015 age 87.

Johnson had the charisma and "gravitas" to play such an authoritarian role and he did it while making the character interesting despite the rather brief screen time. His character discusses the nature of international intrigue and information sharing (and the lack thereof). I wish his had been a recurring role, as he was superb in the part.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

Re: Richard Johnson, R.I.P.

#2 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I just watched "Faith and Begorrah" this past weekend (first time in decades). I was thinking to myself how he did such a wonderful job with that role. It was something special, not your run-of-the mill military authoritarian character. R.I.P
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Little Garwood »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:I just watched "Faith and Begorrah" this past weekend (first time in decades). I was thinking to myself how he did such a wonderful job with that role. It was something special, not your run-of-the mill military authoritarian character. R.I.P
Shame on me for forgetting about Johnson reprising the role in Faith and Begorrah as it's one of my favorite episodes! :oops:

Yes, great screen presence--remember that Johnson was approached to be James Bond, after all--and fine chemistry with JH.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Sir Patrick Stewart sent out a nice tweet about Richard Johnson's passing...

https://mobile.twitter.com/SirPatStew
I'm a Boxley Girl....

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:Actor Richard Johnson, who played Brigadier Alistair Ffolkes in season one's No Need to Know, died June 6, 2015 age 87.

Johnson had the charisma and "gravitas" to play such an authoritarian role and he did it while making the character interesting despite the rather brief screen time. His character discusses the nature of international intrigue and information sharing (and the lack thereof). I wish his had been a recurring role, as he was superb in the part.
That's a shame, rest in peace.

I agree, I would have liked seeing him in a recurring role, like Buck Greene, but from Higgins side of things.

Quick note - I was looking into him a while ago and was surprised to find out he was preferred for James Bond but he turned it down. :shock:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04