83%
No
17%

Total votes: 23

Bennyjc
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Passing of James Garner

#1 Post by Bennyjc »

The headline news today is the passing of James Garner at 86. The Rockford Files help popularise the lifestyle of the casual private investigator that we come to love in MPI. While James Garner wasn't in any MPI episodes he could of been it was reported in TV Series finals Online that "Garner reprised his role as Jim Rockford in eight Rockford Files TV movies, from 1994 until 1999. There had been plans for Rockford to appear in an episode of Magnum, PI in the 1980s but, due to a dispute between Garner and Universal Studios, it never happened."
Last edited by Bennyjc on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

Re: Passing of James Garner

#2 Post by No need to know! »

Bennyjc wrote:The headline news today is the passing of James Garner at 86. The Rockford Files help popularise the lifestyle of the casual private investigator that we come to love in MPI. While James Garner wasn't in any MPI episodes he could of been it was reported in TV Series finales Online that "Garner reprised his role as Jim Rockford in eight Rockford Files TV movies, from 1994 until 1999. There had been plans for Rockford to appear in an episode of Magnum, PI in the 1980s but, due to a dispute between Garner and Universal Studios, it never happened."
Wouldn´t it been great if James Garner was Luther Gillis? It would have played out well i think.
But on the other hand Eugene Roche really made that character very amusing.

R.I.P James
Onion´s extra?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Steve »

No need to know! wrote:
Bennyjc wrote:The headline news today is the passing of James Garner at 86. The Rockford Files help popularise the lifestyle of the casual private investigator that we come to love in MPI. While James Garner wasn't in any MPI episodes he could of been it was reported in TV Series finales Online that "Garner reprised his role as Jim Rockford in eight Rockford Files TV movies, from 1994 until 1999. There had been plans for Rockford to appear in an episode of Magnum, PI in the 1980s but, due to a dispute between Garner and Universal Studios, it never happened."
Wouldn´t it been great if James Garner was Luther Gillis? It would have played out well i think.
But on the other hand Eugene Roche really made that character very amusing.

R.I.P James
Or how about Jame Garner as a nearly perfect Lance White type character ala TS his guest appearances on The Rockford Files........

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Sisophous »

I never understood how anyone could watch that show, the Rockford Files. It was as if James Garner had zero interest in being there and alway seemed bored and disinterested. I viewed a few shows and they all stunk. He was on par with Angela Lansbury in Murder She Wrote, another dud show.

I'm surprised MPI fans, 7 out of 8 thus far loved that show in the poll, appalling.

I'm the lone no vote.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Stelth »

You're not alone. Did you notice that I didn't mention Rockford in my earlier post? I'm not a fan of it either. Rockford always seemed to be a cranky a-hole to me and I hated that Angel guy.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Little Garwood »

Sisophous wrote:I never understood how anyone could watch that show, the Rockford Files. It was as if James Garner had zero interest in being there and alway seemed bored and disinterested. I viewed a few shows and they all stunk.
In which episodes did Garner appear "bored and disinterested"?
Stelth wrote:You're not alone. Did you notice that I didn't mention Rockford in my earlier post? I'm not a fan of it either. Rockford always seemed to be a cranky a-hole to me and I hated that Angel guy.
To a tiny, superficial degree, you are correct about Rockford but there was so much more to that character.

BTW, you're supposed to hate that Angel guy! lol Stuart Margolin was brilliant, as were the entire cast.

Other than Magnum, what other detective shows do you two like?
Sisophous wrote: I'm surprised MPI fans, 7 out of 8 thus far loved that show in the poll, appalling.
Presently 8 love and 2 don't love the show; may the minority viewpoint about The Rockford Files continue to be hammered in the poll. :lol:

"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

#7 Post by .45caliber »

Loved Rockford Files. Second favorite behind MPI. Very saddened to hear of James Garners passing, he reminded me of my late grandfather.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Little Garwood »

Stelth wrote:and I hated that Angel guy.
Angel is to Rockford as Jim Bonnick is to Magnum. :wink:

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#9 Post by ConchRepublican »

Wow Siso . . . kinda surprised by the venom. Especially considering this is a thread honoring the passing of a man who may be able to be labeled a "legend" when it comes to his career.

Jim Rockford was supposed to be a bit surly. Did you see the pilot episode? Where he did time due a wrongful conviction? That'll make one a little cynical I think.

Hey, you don't like it, that's cool. I think Jim Rockford was a GREAT character and Garner an excellent actor. Stuart Margolin? Brilliant as Angel. Not to mention the excellent support work by Noah Beery and Joe Santos.

But that's me.

Rest in peace James . . . from Maverick to The Great Escape to Rockford to The Notebook and all between, I have enjoyed your work.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Sisophous »

ConchRepublican wrote:Wow Siso . . . kinda surprised by the venom.

Jim Rockford was supposed to be a bit surly. Did you see the pilot episode? Where he did time due a wrongful conviction? That'll make one a little cynical I think.
I didn't care for the guy, a forum like this is to express likes and dislikes, it's my way of remembering him.

It isn't listed in the Wikipedia writeup,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Garner

but I remember he was involved in a case of road rage and got punched out. I imagine he went shooting off his mouth.

He was heavily involved in politics and just reading the names of the people he supported makes me want to vomit.

To each his own.

ConchRepublican

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

Sisophous wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:Wow Siso . . . kinda surprised by the venom.

I didn't care for the guy, a forum like this is to express likes and dislikes, it's my way of remembering him.

It isn't listed in the Wikipedia writeup,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Garner

but I remember he was involved in a case of road rage and got punched out. I imagine he went shooting off his mouth.

He was heavily involved in politics and just reading the names of the people he supported makes me want to vomit.

To each his own.
We got it that you didn't care for him, I think it's more about the way it came out. We tend to roll a little less harsh for the most part.

His politics? I get it. I read he met his wife at an Adlai Stevenson rally. Not up my alley by any stretch but the impressive thing to me is I never knew about it until he died. I never heard about his politics and him stumping for anyone, which is a good thing. He can support whomever he wants but to find an actor who "shuts up and sings" if you will is refreshing.

Road rage? It seems he picked a fight with the wrong guy. And paid for it.

My thing is, at the end of the day, for many people he was an actor who meant something to them due to the roles he played and stories he helped tell. Not liking him is fine, but blasting him and to an extent those who appreciated his work on a memorial thread is almost like showing up at a wake and speaking derisively of the deceased, loudly, in the back of the funeral home.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Little Garwood »

Sisophous wrote:I didn't care for the guy, a forum like this is to express likes and dislikes, it's my way of remembering him.

To each his own.
I can respect not liking someone but if I despised Garner as much as you do, I would refrain from thread dumping on a topic that clearly doesn't interest you.

You never did list the episodes of The Rockford Files where Garner looked "bored and disinterested" or what other detective shows besides MPI you like, the latter being a good barometer to determine the taste we're dealing with here. It's all subjective, but it's nice to try and salvage some civilized discourse. However, I don't think we'll ever know. :roll: I think Sisophous is just spitting words to see where they'll splatter.

As for the road rage incident, according to the Kentucky New Era newspaper (June 18, 1980), the man who beat Garner was charged with felony assault, robbery, and misdemeanor hit and run. His car hit Garner's first and then the man yanked Garner from his car and proceeded to punch and kick him more than sixteen times, including when Garner feigned unconsciousness in an attempt to stop the attack. Art imitating life, with the beating as well as his subsequent charming testimony.

Politically, people can believe whatever they wish and I don't have to agree with their politics in order to LOVE their work or if it's someone I know, pursue a friendship with them. Having said that, it'd be interesting to know who you hold in such high regard. I wonder if we'll be able to keep our lunches down after reading the names. :)

~Tom Selleck

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

Which is why I dislike whenever politics ever gets involved in a thread... Serves no purpose whatsoever than to get everyone's knickers in a twist or get a rise out of people.

I'm with LG.. Don't care what the affiliation is, if they do good work and are a good person, I respect that.

RIP, James Garner... You had a good run.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by terryfromkerry »

Doc Ibold wrote:Which is why I dislike whenever politics ever gets involved in a thread... Serves no purpose whatsoever than to get everyone's knickers in a twist or get a rise out of people.

I'm with LG.. Don't care what the affiliation is, if they do good work and are a good person, I respect that.

Amen to that Doc .
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

ConchRepublican

#15 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:Which is why I dislike whenever politics ever gets involved in a thread... Serves no purpose whatsoever than to get everyone's knickers in a twist or get a rise out of people.

Ditto
CoziTV Superfan spot