Anyone met the cast?

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

mikeaz123
Commander

Anyone met the cast?

#1 Post by mikeaz123 »

A few years ago I went to Comic Con, and Larry was supposed to be there, but cancelled out. I tried to make that mini reunion with Larry and Roger a few months back in HI, but couldn't go due to funds. Curious to see if anyone here has met anyone and what your experiences were like. A friend of mine worked on a film with Selleck several years back and said he was awesome and gracious, and also that he was quite a huge guy.

AJLeatherman
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Anyone met the cast?

#2 Post by AJLeatherman »

A few months ago, Tom Selleck was doing a talk show in NYC, and I waited for him on the street. When he was driven in, he was nice enough to roll down the window and sign an 8x10 for me. I'm a grown man, but I must admit that I was completely starstruck to be face to face with Thomas Magnum!

And although I technically didn't "meet" him, Donald Bellisario was nice enough to sign an autograph through the mail for me. I'd love to meet the rest of the cast someday.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

Welcome AJ!

AJLeatherman
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#4 Post by AJLeatherman »

Thanks Doc, glad to be here after a long time of lurking.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Frodoleader »

Did I not see once here, a photo of one of our lovely female members of this board, with Tom Selleck?
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

DarCA
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by DarCA »

I posted a pic some time ago of a friend of mine who met Tom Selleck. She gave up a cruise to meet him.

Pago
Ensign

#7 Post by Pago »

Recently googled the Anderson Estate as I heard it was on the market and noticed your website. Great fun! I worked for an airline based in Honolulu during the Magnum years and encountered the cast on several occasions - most often on an airplane.

My family lived in Los Angeles in the 1980s. A couple of days before Thanksgiving and Christmas, I usually took a red-eye flight to LA to see them. In those days, airlines upgraded airline employees to first class if there was space available. At least 5-6 times, I recall that we sat at the gate beyond take-off time waiting for VIP passengers. The VIPs were always members of the cast - and Selleck's seat was invariably either across the aisle or in back of mine. He was GORGEOUS, friendly, and very apologetic to the other passengers/ crew for keeping the plane waiting. I was under the impression that they filmed up until the last minute and then rushed to the airport to fly home for the holidays. Manetti and Hillerman usually sat together - and were rather boisterous - ordered more than a few cocktails as I recall. Selleck spent a lot of time out of his seat - standing next to the galley where he quietly chatted with the crew and some of the other passengers. He seemed like a really nice, non-affected guy. On one later trip, his British girlfriend was with him. I remember that she wore a leopard jumpsuit, a ton of makeup and had "teased" hair. It seemed like an interesting combination as she was rather "out there" while he was very low key.

In those days I also hung out at the Outrigger Canoe Club with some friends who were members. Selleck played beach volleyball there and was a good athlete.

So much for my Magnum memories. Loved living in Hawaii in the 1980s - and enjoyed the show. This site is a great source of nostalgia!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Pago wrote:Recently googled the Anderson Estate as I heard it was on the market and noticed your website. Great fun! I worked for an airline based in Honolulu during the Magnum years and encountered the cast on several occasions - most often on an airplane.

My family lived in Los Angeles in the 1980s. A couple of days before Thanksgiving and Christmas, I usually took a red-eye flight to LA to see them. In those days, airlines upgraded airline employees to first class if there was space available. At least 5-6 times, I recall that we sat at the gate beyond take-off time waiting for VIP passengers. The VIPs were always members of the cast - and Selleck's seat was invariably either across the aisle or in back of mine. He was GORGEOUS, friendly, and very apologetic to the other passengers/ crew for keeping the plane waiting. I was under the impression that they filmed up until the last minute and then rushed to the airport to fly home for the holidays. Manetti and Hillerman usually sat together - and were rather boisterous - ordered more than a few cocktails as I recall. Selleck spent a lot of time out of his seat - standing next to the galley where he quietly chatted with the crew and some of the other passengers. He seemed like a really nice, non-affected guy. On one later trip, his British girlfriend was with him. I remember that she wore a leopard jumpsuit, a ton of makeup and had "teased" hair. It seemed like an interesting combination as she was rather "out there" while he was very low key.

In those days I also hung out at the Outrigger Canoe Club with some friends who were members. Selleck played beach volleyball there and was a good athlete.

So much for my Magnum memories. Loved living in Hawaii in the 1980s - and enjoyed the show. This site is a great source of nostalgia!
Hi Pago and welcome, welcome, welcome! :D

I LOVE hearing experiences people have with the cast in "real" life! Sounds like what you saw of TS is just what everyone else has said, how down-to-earth he is, and so kind. Funny about his wife Jillie...but apparently they're still going strong! :D I especially like your account of Hillerman and Manetti...what a great visual I have of them on the plane!

Great post, thanks so much, and I look forward to hearing more stories!

~RG
Last edited by Rembrandt's Girl on Mon May 12, 2014 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by terryfromkerry »

Pago wrote:Recently googled the Anderson Estate as I heard it was on the market and noticed your website. Great fun! I worked for an airline based in Honolulu during the Magnum years and encountered the cast on several occasions - most often on an airplane.

Hi Pago and welcome.

Great first post and great anecdote. Mahalo. :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#10 Post by Pahonu »

I think I might have mentioned this already, but I was at Disney Studios in Burbank in the mid-90's looking for an office in one of the buildings. As I was looking around I noticed a stack of mail on the floor in front of a door with nothing on it. A manilla envelope in the stack said T W Selleck. As I started to move on, I looked up and there he was heading toward me. I told him it was a pleasure to meet him and shook his hand. I don't know why, but I asked him if he new where the office I was looking for was and he was nice enough to direct me down to the next hall. Really nice guy, but I'm glad he didn't see me looking down at his mail like some creeper stalker or something! It was a total coincidence.

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#11 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Welcome to the Board...Pago!!!!

You are one lucky person to meet these guys, did you ever get the chance to meet Roger E. Mosley?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

This is an awesome post. I really get the feel for what things were like back then. I imagine the airport in Honolulu is the place to be for spotting local stars. I've only been there twice, but one of the times ran into the lead guy from Lost (when Lost was on the air). I guess if you live in Hawaii for work, you try to get out of there as often as possible. Hard to believe, but I guess paradise can get to be too much after a while! thanks for sharing.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.