Tom Selleck's screen test for Indiana Jones

#1 Post by SouthEastAsiaTX »

Funny. He sounds just like Magnum.

http://youtu.be/vUXCXCKbXb8

Canada Jones
Lieutenant

Re: Tom Selleck's screen test for Indiana Jones

#2 Post by Canada Jones »

Anyone know if there is a copy of the whole screen test somewhere? I wanted to see more. I wonder if Selleck regrets it? He still made millions and I wonder how he would have done with other movies since his film career was hit and miss.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Danno »

Canada Jones, I'm sure you know that footage comes from the extras with the boxset of the Indy films- I'm fairly sure nothing else has ever been put online.

I think he did regret it for a long time. That being said, to me it says a lot about Selleck that he honoured his agreement with Universal to do MPI.
Maybe the clincher was that he could have done both...
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Canada Jones wrote:I wonder if Selleck regrets it? He still made millions and I wonder how he would have done with other movies since his film career was hit and miss.
Today they would have made arrangements to allow him to do it. The TV studios back then were blind. The boost in TV audience brought on by your leading man being in a hit movie can be huge. Selleck missing this and Pierce Brosnan not being allowed to do James Bond (because of his deal with Remington Steele) are two big examples of this. An interesting exception for this is Michael J. Fox who shot Back to the Future on hiatus and kept doing Family Ties, despite being a huge movie star.

I wonder how long Magnum would have run if Tom got the role and it turned out to be as big as it did for Ford?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by No need to know! »

"I wonder how long Magnum would have run if Tom got the role and it turned out to be as big as it did for Ford?"

This was probably why CBS hold him back.
Onion´s extra?

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Little Garwood »

As much as I adore Selleck, I think things turned out for the best in him not getting the part. It's also my view that Tom would have been too "hot" a performer--in the acting sense--for the role of Indy at that time whereas Harrison Ford's take on it was pitch perfect in every way. Ford is a mellow performer even when he's supposed to be excited; he never overplays things, which is what I think Tom may have done, if his role in High Road to China is any indication. Of course we'll never know but based on what I've seen of him, that's how I see it. I say this being a MUCH bigger Tom fan than I am a Harrison fan. Indiana Jones (and to a lesser extent, Han Solo), was the part Ford was meant to play.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#7 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:As much as I adore Selleck, I think things turned out for the best in him not getting the part. It's also my view that Tom would have been too "hot" a performer--in the acting sense--for the role of Indy at that time whereas Harrison Ford's take on it was pitch perfect in every way. Ford is a mellow performer even when he's supposed to be excited; he never overplays things, which is what I think Tom may have done, if his role in High Road to China is any indication. Of course we'll never know but based on what I've seen of him, that's how I see it. I say this being a MUCH bigger Tom fan than I am a Harrison fan. Indiana Jones (and to a lesser extent, Han Solo), was the part Ford was meant to play.
I agree with just about everything you said.

Ford had a subdued, quiet confidence and intelligence that fit perfectly with being a professor.

Selleck, while he probably would have done fine in the role, would have played him more aggressively I think. In this case, size matters and it's tough to be soft spoken or "mellow" when you're 6' 4".

It's tough for me to picture anyone else in the role. As you said, Ford was pitch perfect and in Indiana & Han Solo had two roles he was born to play.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by terryfromkerry »

Recent interview where TS is asked the Indiana Jones question again :roll:
Plus he tells a funny anecdote from Inside Out :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYItJopLKJI
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Gorilla Mask »

It is only an impression. I will try to express it here...

I am a big fan of both actors and i would say that Harrison Ford was better suited for Indy's role, from my point of view.

Yes, as a scholar, Jones is supposed to restrain his reactions and behavior and to adapt his communication to his students. He is supposed to think and concentrate before acting. Of course, the teaching discipine suppose to settle down the speech and acting, to build your arguements and presentation with method. Sorry, i don't know if i am expressing it conveniently here (in english); but i will summary by saying that pedagogy imply (as you know) much more a clear, composed and suitable (let's say "academic") communication and methods (with students not with villains :D ) than ,the straight and pushy way that Thomas Magnum sometimes used ...

... Well, Ford way of playing in the Raiders of the Lost Ar) was quite balanced between the rough action man and the scholar. In some occasion, He is calculating, taking (a little time) to evaluate the situation around him. I am convinced that Selleck would have been more uncomfortable in that later phase.

This subtle balance was somewhat lost afterwards. This aspect of Ford's Play is less perceptible in the two following opus.

Well, do not forget that as he said in Indy's 4, he is only a" part-time teacher" ! :)

Thanks for reading, i may not have been so clear after all... :|
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Sir Algernon Farnsworth
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#10 Post by Sir Algernon Farnsworth »

Tom Selleck got better at downplaying roles later on, Jesse Stone is like that.

Magnum could be a bit "shouty". They may be the role more than the acting though.