Selleck driving accident?

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

runawayselleck
Lieutenant Commander

Selleck driving accident?

#1 Post by runawayselleck »

Hi there Magnum fans

I watched an episode of The Tonight Show once and Tom Selleck told a story of when he took his son for a driving lesson and his son (I may be wrong) drove the car off the third floor of a car park? How the heck did Selleck (and his son) survive??? Did it make the news in the states? Did they land on anyone? If it was an episode of Magnum PI, Selleck would have landed on Hillerman's car (Magnum...Oh my God!)

Anyone have any details of what happened?

Thanks

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: Selleck driving accident?

#2 Post by Stelth »

runawayselleck wrote:Hi there Magnum fans

I watched an episode of The Tonight Show once and Tom Selleck told a story of when he took his son for a driving lesson and his son (I may be wrong) drove the car off the third floor of a car park? How the heck did Selleck (and his son) survive??? Did it make the news in the states? Did they land on anyone? If it was an episode of Magnum PI, Selleck would have landed on Hillerman's car (Magnum...Oh my God!)

Anyone have any details of what happened?

Thanks
Here ya go: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 78,1792042

It took all of 30 seconds to google this.

runawayselleck
Lieutenant Commander

#3 Post by runawayselleck »

Thanks-sorry I didn't even think about it being in google, more resting in the minds of some of the fans-30 seconds it took you hey? -you must have a faster browser then mine :wink:

Thanks again

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Stelth »

No problem. Thanks for mentioning it. I had never heard of this incident before this morning.

I guess my Comcast is pretty good.

runawayselleck
Lieutenant Commander

#5 Post by runawayselleck »

Yeah, I remember him talking to Jay Leno about it-so if you ever find old interviews between the two of them it will certainly be mentioned. It is also mentioned briefly in People Magazine, only that Selleck was lucky to be alive.

I have to say, we (who are drivers) have all had moments when we did things wrong when learning to drive, but Selleck's stepson certainly gave his dad a day he'll never forget. Lets just hope Selleck, unlike his character Magnum, was actually wearing a seat belt at the time :D

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Stelth »

Based on the fact they both survived; I would have to guess they both had on seatbelts.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Here's a thread discussing it a bit: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=23345
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Sisophous »

From the image posted on that link it is the third floor which roughly looks like a 20 foot plunge, not a 30 foot drop like I initially thought. That is likely why they survived and did not sustain any crippling injuries. That additional 10 feet would have done a lot of damage. A 20 foot plunge is terrifying enough, 30 feet would have been deadly.

And, Selleck's step son sounds like an accident prone idiot. On occasions, my father let me drive in vacant lots when I was age 14, there is nothing wrong with it unless you have an irresponsible kid. No wonder Tom Selleck had nothing to say about it according to the newspaper article, what can he say other than repeat what I said.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Danno »

Sisophous wrote:And, Selleck's step son sounds like an accident prone idiot.
:lol: Cracked me up.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Shaikh17
Ensign

#10 Post by Shaikh17 »

Woah! Maybe he was drunk while telling this story because if this ever happened, it would have been a big news. Also, I have a friend who works for Los Angeles DUI attorney, he is definitely going to tell me about a case like this but I have never heard it before either.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by MagnumILWU »

Back when it happened, the National Enquirer had an article, and photos of inside the garage, showing where, and how far the jeep fell!
"pickled egg please"