Death of french dubber of Magnum

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

Death of french dubber of Magnum

#1 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

Hi all,

I'm sad to announce you the death of Francis Lax (16 april 1930 - 13 march 2013), french dubber of Magnum.

Lax passed away at 82, almost 83.

He mainly dubbed Han Solo, Hutch (Starsky & Hutch), Cpt Gavin McLeod (Love Boats), "Howling Mad" Murdock (A Team), Sammy (Scooby Doo) and many more.
As an actor, he played in many movies but minor roles. He was mainly known for his dubbing.
Not only a dubber but a very great dubber.

In the UK and USA, Canada, Australia, you have the chance to know the actors' original voices for the best TV Series. In France, for example, it's often frustrating to watch actors with the voices of others. Some times, the dubber is so great that he's able to give another (how could I say) power, dimension to the character.
Francis Lax was like this. He not only dubbed Magnum in french but he added his personal (funny) touch with some expressions like "un café, l'addition" that I could translate by "a coffee and the bill, please".
Magnum / Francis Lax said in some episodes "un café, l'addition" and it's funny because in some A-Team episodes, Murdock (dubbed by Lax too) said the same too.

With the next "Star Wars" to come, it's sad to imagine Han Solo / Harrison Ford will not be dubbed by Lax ... A good reason to prefer the movie with the original voices.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I've obviously heard him when I occasionally stumble upon a local broadcast of MPI (rather than watching my DVDs in English) and whenever my kids watch Scooby Doo. The A-Team is often on in the early evening also and I'll watch it in French for a laugh. I'll listen closely for some similarities next time.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.