Tom's Post-Magnum PI Career: A Disappointment?

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Tom's Post-Magnum PI Career: A Disappointment?

#1 Post by Little Garwood »

So what the hell happened?

Here was a guy who had the rugged looks, comic ability, timing, and even producer's clout, yet his career never quite "took off" in the leading man sense like, say, George Clooney's (already an Oscar winner) has. Selleck is likable, for sure, and in his defense he has worked on many TV movies--getting big ratings for the Jesse Stone films-- commercials, voiceovers and has maintained his career in that he's been working continuously in the twenty three years since Magnum ended, but for someone who was once hailed (IIRC) as the "next Clark Gable", Selleck's post-MAGNUM, P.I. career isn't what I thought it would be.

I always felt that Tom should've been as big a movie star as, say, Harrison Ford or Tom Hanks. Am I just rating Tom's potential too high?

It's not that Selleck's career has been a "failure"; it certainly hasn't. I just think that there was a missed opportunity there--and that's not even taking Raiders of the Lost Ark into consideration, as I believe he still could've reached the heights of a Hanks or a Ford.

Your thoughts?
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2 Post by Pahonu »

I've thought about this a little over the years and it seems to me that the root of the problem is he is so closely associated with the character of Magnum. It was a massively popular show in its time and the character became irreversibly intertwined with him as an actor. He has done all kinds of roles since the series, which I think actors want to do, but there is inevitably the comparison to the great character of Thomas Magnum. We get two ot three hours to get to know film characters and thats usually it. A hit television show provides dozens or even hundreds of hours to understand the nuance and complexity of a character, and that can be hard to let go of. Take us for example. :wink: There seemingly aren't too many huge television stars that go on to become huge film stars.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by AmandaByNight »

I read something once about Don Johnson's failed film career that basically said, "Why pay to see someone when you can watch them for free on television?"

I think that's probably the biggest problem for most actors who first find a name for themselves on TV.

However, although I agree that Selleck definitely has what it takes for big screen stardom, I think he's done SO well for himself. I mean, Friends, Blue Bloods, Jesse Stone. Most actors, like Johnson, are lucky to have one hit series and aren't expected to have much else... Johnson got Nash Bridges, Selleck got the rest! :)

Also, most of Selleck's big screen movies, aside from Three Men and a Baby, were considered mediocre hits. He does great in smaller parts, I think like in In and Out. And he's definitely not above taking a smaller role if it intrigues him. I think that also has added to his longevity.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

That's a tough question . . . was it a perfect time and place situation? Bad movie choices? Different view of abilities/strengths/weaknesses??? I wondered it often and find myself comparing him a lot to John Wayne. The Duke made a lot of good movies, but he was pretty much always The Duke.

To me, there are very few other roles I've seen TS play where he looked comfortable. The Magnum/Selleck dynamic is perfect. Many other roles he seemed like he was acting. Although Three Men, Runaway, Innocent Man and the cowboy roles seemed like better fits, they didn't exactly feel like his clothes, if you know what I mean. Magnum, was tailored for him.

To a certain extent I think it's range, but while I feel George Clooney is no better an actor, I think his personality plays better in different roles and popcorn movies. Smarmy sells . . . :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

I wouldn't say Selleck's film career has been a failure - he's been in a lot of films, some fairly successful - but it certainly hasn't been as wildly popular or as successful as Magnum. Some of it has to do with timing, some with the films themselves.

I'm trying to think of how many actors who have "carried" successful television shows and then transitioned into hugely successful film careers... I can't think of many. Will Smith immediately comes to mind, Jennifer Garner, Jessica Alba, Tom Hanks (although Bosom Buddies wasn't on for that long). I guess one could argue George Clooney, but I wouldn't say he "carried" ER, that was a true ensemble cast. There's a few more, I'm sure, but it's rare!

No matter how you look at it, Tom Selleck has had a very successful television and film (both big screen and small screen) career. Except for a few A-listers, I'd be willing to bet almost every actor out there would kill to have a career like Tom's!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Little Garwood »

It definitely hasn't been a failure; I state that right away in my first post. But it certainly hasn't gone on to what I personally feel he should've attained.

As for actors making the jump from TV to movies, Steve McQueen and James Garner were the stars of their shows, but I don't think Wanted: Dead or Alive or Maverick are remembered like Magnum, P.I. has been. I think that both Tom and James Garner can be favorably compared in terms of their careers. Both actors had hit TV shows and are well-regarded TV icons. They both went back and forth between movies and TV shows, not hesitating to do TV movies, series, guest spots, and cameos in other stars' movies.

The Don Johnson comparison is an apt one, too; I always felt that Donny Boy should've been a bigger hit in films, too. Both Johnson and Selleck have been quite successful on TV.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#7 Post by Shermy »

Bruce Willis and Pierce Brosnan are two more 80s stars that made the transition pretty well.

As for Selleck, I think he got off on the wrong foot by trying to play against type early on. The fact that his first three (Magnum-era) films were set in different time periods didn't help, either.

Once an actor develops that image of someone better suited to the small screen, it can be a difficult perception to change. A tv actor generally needs a breakout hit to occur ASAP as a way of proving themselves to audiences. For example: Tom Hanks (Splash), Bruce Willis (Die Hard), Will Smith (Bad Boys; Independence Day), etc.

George Clooney is probably the best comparison to Selleck, since it took several years- and a string of box office disappointments- before Ocean's Eleven came along. Clooney is still not a particularly big draw at the box office and has stopped pursuing commercial projects in favor of more personal ones.

KRJ
Ensign

#8 Post by KRJ »

Selleck's post Magnum career hasn't disappointed me. He's been great in a number of westerns: The Sacketts (pre-Magnum), The Shadow Riders, Quigley Down Under, Last Stand at Sabre River, Monte Walsh, and Crossfire Trail. That's a pretty good body of western work and all the films have been well recieved by fans of the genre. But I reckon it's fair to say the western genre isn't as popular as it was pre-'80s so maybe that's part of the problem; no matter how good Selleck's westerns are they will never be as popular as something like the Indiana Jones films with most people.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by zebra3 »

I haven't seen Quigley, just the latter three. I should order it.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by No need to know! »

I think he is just too much "Magnum" with the public.
Considering this he should be happy with his career, and i think he is. There are very few TV stars that are so linked with their characters in tv history. The ones that comes to mind is Larry Hagman(J.R), Telly Savalas(Kojak) and Peter Falk(Columbo). I wouldn´t compare the charisma of those characters with Clooneys character in E.R. That show held up without Clooney. How would Magnum P.I carry on without Tom Selleck? Impossible!

It´s still a petty that he haven´t had the megasuccess in a more dramatic role on the big screen. He deserves that because he is a very good actor.

But Tom is very famous these days as both Magnum and Jess Stone, and thats more than those legends i mentioned ever achieved.
Onion´s extra?

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Coops »

I think his conservative/libertarian ideaology didn't endear himself to those who run Hollywood either.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Tom's Post-Magnum PI Career: A Disappointment?

#12 Post by marlboro »

Maybe I've just typecast him as Magnum, but I don't think I've ever seen him be half as good in a movie as he was on this how. He just seemed completely natural as Magnum. He could do both comedic and dramatic scenes convincingly. I can't say that I've seen him give a really strong performance in any of his films. Compare his performance in "Murder by Night" with that of Hillerman. Hillerman becomes another character; you no longer think of him as Higgins. Selleck does an ok job doing an imitation of a hard boiled detective character, but you never actually feel that he is another character.

I think he may have made a mistake, by choosing to play the lead in modestly budgeted B pictures instead of maybe taking a smaller part in bigger (or better) pictures. There were a ton of "buddy cop" films made in the 80s; I think he would have been perfect in one of those types of movies.

FWIW I think "An Innocent man" is his best picture. It was pretty good, and he was good in it. It just needed a larger budget in order to lose that "movie of the week" feel.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#13 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Coops wrote:I think his conservative/libertarian ideaology didn't endear himself to those who run Hollywood either.

Hi Coops,
I think there is something to what you say, to some degree, though in no sense is Selleck a libertarian, unless he has changed since I saw an interview with him a few years ago. He also said he doesnt vote for labels/parties but the person, though that usually means the GOP candidate.
The powers that be in Hollywood only care about money not your politics, for example 10 years ago the now elderly Clint Eastwood was still one of the biggest stars on the planet. Pat Sajack on Wheel of Fortune makes President Reagan look like a Commie by comparison.
But all things being equal a right of center actor will probably lose out on some opportunities to such as the horrible harridan Rosie O'Donnel because the creative types are overwhelmingly liberal in out look, perhaps given the nature of their Art?
I believe Mister Selleck and his agent made some very bad choices when he initially got movie offers off of his Magnum fame but regardless, as previously noted, he has had a long and successful career.
He found his niche and is very good in it.
Wee Tommy Cruise may be a bigger star but he would look ridiculous - Clooney too - trying to act in a Western next to John Wayne or Eastwood, but Tom Selleck could go toe to toe with them.
That ain't half bad.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#14 Post by BWheelz54 »

After reading some material posted throughout this site and learning some things about Selleck, I come away so impressed that Tom Selleck seems to have many pursuits in addition to television and film. I know he's a powerful advocate for the NRA (and myself, I think it's great when people get involved with governance - even if I agree or disagree with them). I also know he has his ranch and avocado business. Mr. Selleck just seems to me to have a very healthy outlook on life. Some of the actors I might compare his success to come off as obsessive and flat in their real lives, which to me, is what it is all about. Maybe Tom Selleck didn't take off like Clooney or Pitt, but I don't think Mr. Selleck would trade places with either of them.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#15 Post by Doc Ibold »

BWheelz54 wrote:After reading some material posted throughout this site and learning some things about Selleck, I come away so impressed that Tom Selleck seems to have many pursuits in addition to television and film. I know he's a powerful advocate for the NRA (and myself, I think it's great when people get involved with governance - even if I agree or disagree with them). I also know he has his ranch and avocado business. Mr. Selleck just seems to me to have a very healthy outlook on life. Some of the actors I might compare his success to come off as obsessive and flat in their real lives, which to me, is what it is all about. Maybe Tom Selleck didn't take off like Clooney or Pitt, but I don't think Mr. Selleck would trade places with either of them.
Nice analysis BWheelz,

I tend to agree with that. I think Magnum took a lot out of him personally (Not that he didn't enjoy it... but moreso he had no personal life to speak of), and he wanted to make sure he did projects that interested him while maintaining his personal/private life.

Some were better received than others, but he shows a pretty good range for the roles he plays.

In and Out was completely playing against type
Most of his westerns are pretty good... esp. Quigley Down Under
The stint on Friends, while questioned by some, reintroduced him to a new generation.
3M&aB: I think he's just kind of playing "Magnum as Architect"... but it worked and he owned that movie.
Jesse Stone - Very Brooding and Dark, sort of the anti-Magnum, but makes for a compelling character.

I think his career is different things to different people.. but the thing is that he has managed to remain relevant for what... 4 decades? That's a feat in and of itself. If you look at some of the other series of the day, I don't think many can legitimately claim that accomlishment.