Tom Selleck Westerns

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

Tom Selleck Westerns

#1 Post by steveadl »

Hi all,

Over the last couple weeks I've watched three of TS's western movies (ordered the Tom Selleck Western Collection from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013D ... ss_product ):

- Crossfire Trail
- Last Stand at Sabre River
- Monte Walsh

Thoroughly enjoyed all three, though Monte Walsh was probably the weaker of the three imo.

Crossfire Trail and Last Stand had similar story lines, but they were both really strong, and what I would consider 'traditional' westerns. TS played the characters really well, and to my surprise I wasn't seeing him as Magnum throughout the movies as I feared I may have. Just another tribute to his acting abilities I guess.

Monte Walsh was good as well, but not a traditional western like the other two. This movie deals more with the demise of the cowboy and his lifestyle as the west became 'closer' and easier with big corporations, automobiles etc. and how they dealt with it.

Still yet to get around to buying 'Quigley.'

I've also bought the box set of the so far released Jesse Stone collection (though have seen two already before buying). So looking forward to watching them soon!

(JJ, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but didn't seem appropriate to put it in Jesse Stone thread either - feel free to move)

Lar
Captain

#2 Post by Lar »

I have that western collection as well, though sadly I haven't had time to crack into it. Quigley is absolutely worth checking out, though; Excellent movie.
The Northeast Ohio Video Hunter: http://neovideohunter.wordpress.com/

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Steve »

I actually liked Monte Walsh and would rank it at or near the top, although close. As a side note, Robert Parker of the Jesse Stone novels wrote the screenplay for Tom's remake of Monte Walsh. You may also want to check out the orginal with Lee Marvin and Jack Palance and compare the two versions.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

I agree with Steve...I too think that Monte Walsh is the best of the three. TS outdid himself as far as acting in this movie. I'd rate it right up there with QDU. :D

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »

Don't know anything about the movies..but good to see you again SL.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by zebra3 »

I ordered it and have only seen "Crossfire Trail>" However, it was an amazing western, better than I thought. I saw 15 minutes of "Last Stand at Saber River" before I realized I didn't have time to see a full movie. I wasn't impressed anyway, but I'll give it another shot. I hear "Monte Walsh" is the best from some people.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by zebra3 »

Updating now.
I saw "Last Stand at Saber River." Compared to most of the Eastwood Westerns and the singe Selleck western that I've seen before it, I'd have to say it was just alright. A satisfying ending with a couple real great action sequences (you know the kind) helped tremendously. Sellecks performance was great, I felt his "wife's" was just alright, though that may be because she was an annoying character and I am used to movies having the female lead be a beautiful woman with a large bosom. I also do not particularly like Haley Joel Osment, but his time on screen was limited so I suppose it was alright as well. Overall, worth watching, definitely worth the $15 spent on the three movie collection. Probably will be a few weeks or a month before I get around to seeing "Monte Walsh" but I'll update again when the time comes.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

zebra3 wrote:Updating now.
I am used to movies having the female lead be a beautiful woman with a large bosom.
Here, here! And before you call us sexest pigs let me say many of us grew up watching Kitty on Gunsmoke or Linda Evans on The Big Valley. That's my story and I am sticking with it.................

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by zebra3 »

I like Melinda Culea in the first couple seasons of the a team. God she was hot.

Suzie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#10 Post by Suzie »

I do love TS in a western, I especially loved Quigley Down Under and Monte Walshe. He has donated some of his firearms too the NRA museum.

Did you get to see Quigley yet?
"Now I know what you're thinking."

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Frodoleader »

Just watched Monte Walsh again yesterday. What a great movie!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan