High Road To China

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I bought a copy of High Road to China on ioffer a few weeks ago and watched it this weekend. Tom is good in it and Bess Armstrong is pretty good too, but the story is lacking. My biggest complaint with the plot is the ending: how were they going to get out of China? Its like the movie just ends with no resolution. His plane is destroyed and the other plane is back in Nepal and also destoyed.

Anyway good or bad, it ought to get an official DVD release. I would like to see it again with a good quality transfer. The colors on my copy are very washed out. For those that saw it in theaters, what did it look like? Bright colors or dull colors?

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#17 Post by Agatha »

Hi, MagnumsLeftShoulder!

Well, I didn't see High Road to China at the theater but have the video. It's BEAUTIFUL!! I knew I wanted it because Tom was in it but when I watched it for the first time, I found that the scenery was sharing the spotlight!! No washed out colors! Vibrant blue skies and interesting landscapes. Just wonderful!

You've got my vote for a DVD release as well!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Thanks Agatha. I saw it on VHS a long time ago, but couldn't remember a lot about it. Now I really want an official DVD release; the sky on my "copy" is virtually white! What is the deal with so many of Tom's movies not available on DVD? HRTC, Lassiter, and Ruby Jean and Joe haven't been given official releases, and Folks! is out of print and for sale on ebay and Amazon at outrageous prices!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#19 Post by Agatha »

SOMEBODY out there is CLUELESS about what WE want to see!! (The same SOMEBODY who can't figure out a Magnum PI movie!!)

nyuszi
Ensign

#20 Post by nyuszi »

I have a VHS copy of it that's relatively okay, but the colors are somewhat washed out. Where can one get a good copy of this? With vibrant colors and everything, that is? Amazon has listed quite a few on sale, and I'm sure I can find some on E-bay, but, sadly, one cannot sample the VHS/DVD before purchase, and I wouldn't want to waste money on buying something I already have unless I can find it at a better quality. :)

Also, has anyone read the book? The ending is wildly different. Actually, pretty much the entire book is different, except for the basic story-line, that is.

Doc Fred
Admiral

#21 Post by Doc Fred »

Check ebay

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

==================

Be careful... in the US, you needed REGION 1.... that's a REGION 2 version, and will not work on US players...

Doc Fred
Admiral

#22 Post by Doc Fred »

Oh MAN, do I love this film!

I keep looking for it to come out in DVD, region 1. It's a wonder that's there so much garbage on DVD/BluRay, but something good like this never makes it....

JJ Quincannon
Lieutenant Commander

#23 Post by JJ Quincannon »

Hi Guys, I was just checking the Amazon site and I see that High Road to China Is finally available for pre order . It is scheduled to be released on April 17th 2012! Region 1 Blue Ray and standard DVD. 25 dollars and change blue ray and 17 dollars and change standard. I have been watching for this for a long time.
"Ouuuta Sight"

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Where can one get a good copy of this?

http://bit.ly/xlVAsR

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#25 Post by Agatha »

Thanks for the good news, JJ! I, too, have be HOPING for High Road to be relased in DVD!

S'cuse me...I'm off to Amazon!!

Turkey
Admiral

Re: High Road To China

#26 Post by Turkey »

Finally watched High Road and it was not bad, but not ace. The ending was a little too open but I laughed a few times and TS is charismatic as ever.

His meltdown over his plane is pretty funny.

Next up will be Quigley Down Under.
Make it two weeks.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi Turkey,

If you have not seen Quigley Down Under previously you are in for a real treat. Enjoy ! :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#28 Post by Doc Ibold »

terryfromkerry wrote:Hi Turkey,

If you have not seen Quigley Down Under previously you are in for a real treat. Enjoy ! :)
Quigley's good stuff! You won't be disappointed.

Turkey
Admiral

#29 Post by Turkey »

Doc Ibold wrote:

Hey, thanks! Can't wait :) Especially keen to see how the Australian accents are handled :D
Make it two weeks.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#30 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:

What they said.

One of my fave Selleck movies.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04