poor
7%

Total votes: 14

brunoffrance
Captain

Larry Manetti book...

#1 Post by brunoffrance »

Hi there;
sorry if the question was yet told but I'vent found the thread in the search section...
What about the Larry Manetti book ? I've seen that it was again sold with the dedicate !!!
Is there someone who has bought it and what do you think about it ?

thank you to reply before I buy it as a fan.

Bruno.
Very american 4 a french...

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#2 Post by Doc Ibold »

It's a decent buy, plus if you get it now, you get the Larry Manetti autograph.

To me, at least, it doesn't really give you any new details that you couldn't find on this site.

A lot of it is about him and his friends, and the rest is about Magnum PI. It does give you a few tidbits, but a lot of it is based on recall... some of it more accurate than others.

I would say for the price Larry is offering it for, its good to get! The second read through was better than the first. A good book if you don't expect your jaw to drop.

anotherdayinparadise
Ensign

#3 Post by anotherdayinparadise »

Sure it's a decent buy, but make sure you buy it with a secure instrument (ie credit card). Apparently when you do business by check or money order, you have no recourse to recover when the book is never delivered. The powers to be on LM's site, report "too bad" when the USPS fails to deliver the book. Or so they say there is NO tracking system. Not good business practice.
This Fan is being held hostage.

Capt4real
Ensign

#4 Post by Capt4real »

A book was lost in the mail but Larry straightened this out promptly.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by lutherhgillis »

I think it would be cool just to get Manetti's take on life and career alone. Throw in some Magnum shenanigans and that would be icing on the cake! I need to order the book.

Too bad Hillerman didn't write his memoires. Now, that would have been an interesting read. Journeyman actor with huge skills finally lands a major career role.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Capt4real
Ensign

#6 Post by Capt4real »

Has anyone had a problem with not getting their book delivered from Larry Manetti's website? I've been waiting since mid December.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Danno »

Sounds like you've got a problem there, Capt4real. I live in Australia and it arrived in under a week. Some of the fastest shipping ever!

The book is an oddity- in all these years NO ONE has ever written another book about the series... incredible... and then Larry comes along and writes a book that has tidbits but little detail and ends with recipes and a fairly uninspired episode list. It leaves you wanting so much more.

There must be a plethora of stories out there about what the cast and crew got up to in almost a decade living on Oahu. From the book, you get the impression Manetti is an ADD wild child- the attention span in his narrative is brief and he wanders off on tangents that I found fairly pointless but at the same time charming.

This being said, if you're a fan, you can't really say no to it and it's a very reasonable price.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Capt4real
Ensign

#8 Post by Capt4real »

Well, I'm not sure what the problem with a book delivery would be. I sent a money order in mid December. In mid February, I had not recieved the book so I emailed info@LarryManetti.com. The response was that they had recieved my order and sent the book by December 17 and it was not thier fault if a shipment was lost in the mail. I asked for a tracking number so I could contact the shipping company and find out what happened but they indicated it was shipped via Media Mail and there was no tracking number. A few emails later Larry indicated that he would send one at his cost but that if it was lost a second time he could not do it again. I have never had one delivery go missing, never mind two from the same source. Now I emailed him again four days ago and have, as yet, gotten NO RESPONSE. I should have used a credit card and had the bank chase the money. Now I'm quickly losing interest in getting the book after this.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

You probably don't want to hear this Captain, but it sounds like the problem is on your end somehow - considering everyone else seems to have had great service.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Jake
Rear Admiral

#10 Post by Jake »

I can't yet say if the book is any good or not, but I can at least report that I had a better experience purchasing the book than some of you. I was not expecting real great service after reading some of the posts, however I received just the opposite.

I ordered the book on Thurs 5/14 (via paypal) during a late night web session. The next day (actually within 12 hours) I received notification of shipping. The book arrived in the mail today (Wed 5/19) safe and sound! Not bad, hope the read is as great as the service.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by No need to know! »

It is a great read so far. I was surprised when i got the package to Sweden after 7 days. I think it said that it could take 3-4 weeks.
Onion´s extra?