The Tom Selleck Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

litefoot
Vice Admiral

Re: The Tom Selleck Thread

#1066 Post by litefoot »

Tom's done an interview with Town & Country magazine.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisu ... view-2024/

He's getting asked about the same things in most of these interviews - Indiana Jones, Frank Sinatra, meeting Jilly, Princess Diana.

litefoot
Vice Admiral

#1067 Post by litefoot »

litefoot wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:50 am There's an eight minute interview with Tom on his ranch on CBS News, from Sunday. Not just about Blue Bloods as the the headline suggests - but the whole of his career.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-sellec ... ue-bloods/

And there's ANOTHER video interview with CBS, this time in studios, on CBS Mornings.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/tom-selle ... ew-memoir/
And just in case the CBS site removes those videos in the near future, you can watch them on YouTube as well.

youtu.be/VW7vyML7Q2E

youtu.be/_D2SFjR7LUs

litefoot
Vice Admiral

#1068 Post by litefoot »

And more... Tom was interviewed on Kelly And Mark yesterday.

youtu.be/Dnj7cRMA26o

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1069 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

litefoot wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:50 am There's an eight minute interview with Tom on his ranch on CBS News, from Sunday. Not just about Blue Bloods as the the headline suggests - but the whole of his career.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-sellec ... ue-bloods/

And there's ANOTHER video interview with CBS, this time in studios, on CBS Mornings.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/tom-selle ... ew-memoir/
Jillie looks like she has aged really well. I recall liking her when they first ran her episode, and assuming she was American I thought she was overdoing the cockney accent.
Cor blimey, just shows you what I know.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1070 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:42 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:40 am Hi litefoot,
Thank you for sharing the above interview.
I was glad to read Tom wants to make another Western. He would be great doing a remake of one of the Randolph Scott classics.

"Jillie is British... They met in London’s West End in 1983, when she was playing Rumpleteazer in Cats. Brian Blessed, Old Deuteronomy in the production, was their cupid."

I always thought they met on Magnum. And as it was noted his 1st marriage ended before Magnum, it was nice he still had her do a guest starring role on it.
Hey Dobie,
He and his first wife had an amicable split. It is very cool that he had her on the show, and twice I believe. His son was in a late season episode too. I read about this years ago when he was still doing MPI. He had adopted her son prior to the show and still remains close. He had him on the set many times and I recall seeing long ago a photo of he and his son playing basketball. He was blonde and perhaps a tween at the time. He’s probably about my age now.

I learned about how he met his second wife in, of all places, Architectural Digest. They were doing a story on a high rise apartment he had renovated in Hollywood around the time MPI ended and they were now married. I remember the interior looked like a library in an old English manor house with wood paneled walls. That may have been a bit of her taste, but I’m not sure. He also had a Remington bronze on a table and other artwork around.
Pahonu,
I bet the bronze is real, I have seen it in multiple interviews. I'm thinking it's a natural to "dress the set/set the stage" to project certain images onto Tom so savvy interviewers make sure to include it.
Or perhaps Tom himself does.

CanadianP1
Lieutenant

#1071 Post by CanadianP1 »

There is a lot of talk about Tom Selleck potentially losing his ranch once Blue Bloods is cancelled. I tend to think it is not true, that he was just being hyperbolic. But what does everyone else think?

litefoot
Vice Admiral

#1072 Post by litefoot »

CanadianP1 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:51 am There is a lot of talk about Tom Selleck potentially losing his ranch once Blue Bloods is cancelled. I tend to think it is not true, that he was just being hyperbolic. But what does everyone else think?
I guess it depends on how much it costs to run that property. If he loses Blue Bloods that's a wage he won't be getting.

Meanwhile, Tom will be at the Salvation Army Celebration Of Hope Gala in Oklahoma on May 17th. You can meet him there!

https://www.cowboysindians.com/2024/05/ ... tion-army/

He's also given an interview to this week's Hello! magazine in Canada.

And here he is being interviewed on TODAY with Hoda and Jenna.

youtu.be/3bcCggr7YH8

litefoot
Vice Admiral

#1073 Post by litefoot »

More Tom coverage.

Last night he was on stage in conversation with Bridget Moynahan at 92NY, New York. Some photos from Bridget's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/bridgetmoynaha ... fuzYgwiG5l

Some quotes here, including that the character was originally called Harry Magnum!

https://metro.co.uk/2024/05/08/tom-sell ... -20799546/

Tom was also on Entertainment Tonight yesterday (video). Ten minutes. At the end they ask him about doing a second book - he says he doesn't know.

https://www.etonline.com/media/videos/t ... ble-season

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1074 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I think Dobie will be thrilled to discover that Tom is a computer illiterate luddite just as he himself is. :lol: Tom reveals that he wrote his memoirs on a yellow legal pad. :D

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1075 Post by Pahonu »

I got my copy late yesterday and only had time to thumb through it but I found a great photo. It’s Stephen Cannell talking with Tom and Jim Garner during one of the two episodes he guest starred in as Lance White. Based on the location I believe it is the first, White on White and Nearly Perfect.

https://ibb.co/nmtv71Y

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1076 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:59 pm I think Dobie will be thrilled to discover that Tom is a computer illiterate luddite just as he himself is. :lol: Tom reveals that he wrote his memoirs on a yellow legal pad. :D
I can understand his lack of interest in tech. He’s almost 80 now. My mom is 81 and has never emailed or texted anyone either and she’s doing fine. Think of the timing. When smart phones and social media appeared they would have been past retirement age. When I started teaching, there were still chalk boards, paper roll sheets, and you had to check out a VCR and TV on a stand from the library. Now all my assignments aside from essays are completed online by students using Chromebooks and all my lessons use a projector on a wide screen with all kinds of video clips, maps, and photos to enhance the experience. If I had been 20 years older, I would have retired before any of that and I would only be in my early 70’s, not at or near 80.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1077 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:38 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:59 pm I think Dobie will be thrilled to discover that Tom is a computer illiterate luddite just as he himself is. :lol: Tom reveals that he wrote his memoirs on a yellow legal pad. :D
I can understand his lack of interest in tech. He’s almost 80 now. My mom is 81 and has never emailed or texted anyone either and she’s doing fine. Think of the timing. When smart phones and social media appeared they would have been past retirement age. When I started teaching, there were still chalk boards, paper roll sheets, and you had to check out a VCR and TV on a stand from the library. Now all my assignments aside from essays are completed online by students using Chromebooks and all my lessons use a projector on a wide screen with all kinds of video clips, maps, and photos to enhance the experience. If I had been 20 years older, I would have retired before any of that and I would only be in my early 70’s, not at or near 80.

Ivan,
I've gotten along quite nicely with my abaccus, thank you. It's a comfort to know Tom and moi are simpatico, proud luddites.

Pahonu,
I get Selleck as well, to a point. You can't dip yourself in amber and refuse to embrace a changing world. However one doesn't have to embrace all of it and if Tom prefers to write out his story
in longhand, why not, Mark Twain did the same and didn't suffer from lack of a keyboard.
I enjoy much of what computers have to offer but I refuse to engage with them 3 or 4 hours daily, the nitty gritty of it bores me to tears. I am not going to spend hours learning the latest
programming innovation when I still have Nat Segaloff's book on Stirling Silliphant to knock off, or a Foghorn Leghorn cartoon to view.
RSS feed, what the heck is that? But I needed one to receive my friend's blog from New South Wales.
Which I enjoy tremendously and thru it would never have had cobbers(pals) of twenty years standing without the boon of computers. I still have no idea how the RSS feed works, but I got one
now.
Pahonu, from what you wrote above concerning Chromebook usage in class, if one wasn't up on all such things does that preclude someone like me from taking a course or two - for fun -
at a local college? If I brought out a legal pad like Selleck's to use in your class, would that be a no go from the start, the students taken aback, staring, slack jawed?
Actually that might be fun, just to stir the possum, as they say down under.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Gunn: Does the name Lisa Nye mean anything to you?
Lieutenant Jacoby: It depends on your education. She's a very rich lady and also a very fine sculptress - classical or contemporary. She's no Rodin, but who is?
Peter Gunn: Lieutenant, I'm continually amazed at your knowledge of the fine arts.
Lieutenant Jacoby: The public library is free. Comic books cost money.

The word "swims" upside-down is still "swims".

Fleet Admiral

#1078 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:38 am
Yep I get all that. My parents are in their 70s and are the same way. It's a generation that is simply not tech-savvy nor interested in it. Hey, I'm in my early 40s and work in the IT field and even I don't care about the latest in tech and gadgetry. And I actually do need to keep up with the latest in IT as part of my job but honestly it's a chore for me. I'd rather be posting on magnum-mania. :) I like to keep using the IT knowledge that I acquired years ago. Don't like to rock the boat. Like to keep doing the things I've been doing and that I'm good at. Unfortunately things change in IT and I have to as well. But it's a chore. I'm definitely a creature of habit.

Fleet Admiral

#1079 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:28 am I got my copy late yesterday and only had time to thumb through it but I found a great photo. It’s Stephen Cannell talking with Tom and Jim Garner during one of the two episodes he guest starred in as Lance White. Based on the location I believe it is the first, White on White and Nearly Perfect.

https://ibb.co/nmtv71Y
Looks like he's pitching The A-Team to them.

"Look, Jim, Rockford's wrapping up. I got this cool new project I'm working on. I want you for the Hannibal Smith part and Tom you'd make a great Face!" :lol:

I guess they declined. :| But hey we got Peppard and Benedict so it all worked out perfect. :)

litefoot
Vice Admiral

#1080 Post by litefoot »

There's another exclusive interview with Tom, on parade.com. He's open to doing Jesse Stone again if Blue Bloods doesn't get renewed.

https://parade.com/tv/tom-selleck-blue- ... -interview