The Tom Selleck Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#61 Post by golfmobile »

The one thing I notice in all of his interviews or promos is that he always mentions money, paying the mortgage or something like that. He mentioned it in the Biography show, on Conan, and on Good Morning America, when he was promoting Sea Change. I wonder if he is a tightwad in real life! Maybe that's his one flaw. His gifts to the Magnum cast and crew would tend to disprove that theory, but I think perhaps some of that may have been a little guilt. He was ready to move on from MPI because he had other options. He knew that the rest of the cast really didn't. I can't remember where I read it -- it might have been in Manetti's book -- but he did the eighth season for the cast and gave them gifts because they were willing to go on with more seasons and he wasn't.

And I thought it was very interesting that he pointed out that he's about the only actor who was a "star" 20 years ago -- and still is! I hadn't thought of that, but he's right. Who else from 1980s TV shows are still on the top of their game and making movies? Kurt Russell is about the only one I can think of who started out on TV (The Travels of Jamie McPheeters) and is still making good movies. Okay, Alan Alda did a lot of movies, but he was a movie star before and after M*A*SH* so he's the exception. But the one thing pointed out in the Biography show is that there are very few actors or actresses who are able to switch from the small screen to the big screen -- and Tom Selleck goes back and forth with great success. He may be the only one doing that, come to think of it.

I don't mean this as a criticism of him at all -- it was very admirable to do the season for them and give them gifts -- but to be practical, he could afford to do so. He had "jobs" lined up, they didn't and he probably knew it.

Also, I read, again it might have been in Manetti's book, that Roger Moseley had a really bad attitude the first year, the sole black person there, and he almost got fired because he thought he was being mistreated and blamed it on that reason. It got straightened out, obviously, as he stayed, but in the Biography show, he STILL seemed to have a bit of resentment about that -- 20 years later! I think he should be grateful he was gainfully employed in a hit show, for crying out loud. Sort of like how so many people who tend to have gotten famous because of one character or show (e.g., David Cassidy in The Partridge Family) feel they shouldn't forever be identified with that role. But eventually they come around to realizing that they wouldn't be famous at all if it weren't for that role that put them in the spotlight. David Cassidy says he now "appreciates" his fans from that time and how the role helped him (some of these people make so much money and then resent it! That seems so tacky to me). Oddly enough, it's the people who never do anything else that seem to develop this attitude. You don't see Alan Alda complaining about being typecast as Hawkeye Pierce or Ted Danson complaining about Sam Malone.

I think there was a time when TS was a little resentful of being always thought of as Magnum, but then he realized he possibly wouldn't have had the opportunities that he later had without the Magnum stint. Of course, this adjustment might have come after he had done enough other things so he had a full "body of work" to feel good about.

I haven't seen any of the Las Vegas shows so I don't know what it will be like. I very much enjoyed his guest shots on Friends and Boston Legal. But if the Las Vegas people offered him enough money, THAT's why he's doing it, I'll bet. He even endorsed that silly Magnum costume because he thought it would make money (view the Conan interview again) and jokingly complained that he'd never gotten a dime out of it.

Just joking, but is this a matter of "we know what you are, now we're just quibbling over the price." :lol: :D :) JUST KIDDING!

On another note, what are your favorite TS roles? Quigley Down Under is in my Top Ten Movies of All Time, and I think An Innocent Man was WAY under-rated. I liked High Road to China and saw it only because he was in it (and at the end, I thought, "I sat through two hours of this movie and get to see one lousy kiss!"), I thought Her Alibi was lame, Lassiter was okay, but the female characters spoiled the movie, I thought. Three Men and a Little Lady, though commercially successful, WASN'T Three Men and a Baby. In and Out was sort of dumb. All of his made-for-TV Westerns were excellent. Still . . . QDU is the best of his movies, in my opinion. I've probably watched that one at LEAST two dozen times (it's on TV a lot, and whenever I happen upon it, I'll watch it again). I even have the full soundtrack, which is wonderful -- and a short mp3 clip from the theme song is the ringtone on my cell phone. Talk about getting strange looks when that cell phone rings!! I love it!

Well, maybe I've opened up a BUNCH of things to discuss about TS. There's a lot to talk about in a 20-year career, isn't there?

golf

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#62 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey golf, awesome post!

The guy's had an amazing career. From commercials, to low budget movies, to mega hit TV show, to the big screen, to successul TV movies, and now back to prime time TV. Wow!

My favorite Selleck movie is Ike: Countdown to D-Day, with Stone Cold a close second. And I love all of his Westerns.
golfmobile wrote:And I thought it was very interesting that he pointed out that he's about the only actor who was a "star" 20 years ago -- and still is! I hadn't thought of that, but he's right. Who else from 1980s TV shows are still on the top of their game and making movies?
Bruce Willis baby! He was a TV star with Moonlighting in the 80s, then became an even bigger film star. Even today, he's still A-List bigtime.

How about Tom Hanks? Remember Bosom Buddies!?

I think that's about it though - Bruce, Tom and TS. It just shows you how hard it is to stay at that level. It just doesn't happen very often. Everyone else just quietly fades away. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#63 Post by SelleckLover »

I agree with you golfmobile about "Quigley Down Under". It is by far, my favorite TS movie. I think TS did some of his best acting ever in "An Innocent Man"!

As for TS being a tightwad, that may or may not be true. I went on the computer and went on real estate sites to look at the comps in the area where his ranch is located. There is one that is in close proximity and is approximately the same size as his, that is being sold for $54 million. His daughter, Hannah, rides jumper horses in the equitation, hunter, and jumper divisions. (That's an expensive sport!) She is also 18 years old and going to college soon. I think he has a lot on his plate, and that's a huge responsibility keeping a 54 million dollar ranch running! Or maybe he's a tightwad because he has to be?
:D

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#64 Post by Shermy »

Where's the love for Runaway?! :lol:

Seriously though, I always thought TS made some good, underrated films. But it's interesting that he only accepted period films for the longest time, perhaps in an effort to distance himself from Magnum (ie. The Shadow Riders, High Road to China, Runaway, and Lassiter). And of course, ironically, it wasn't until he did light comedy in a modern setting (3 Men and A Baby) that he had a hit.

My Top Three (theatrical, and in order of release):

1. Runaway
This one is still a guilty pleasure. Gene Simmons trying to kill Thomas Magnum via robot spiders, with Kirstie Alley thrown in to boot. What's not to like? Everyone went robot crazy in the mid 80's, and I'm still a little pissed that technology hasn't caught up with those predictions. How is it almost 2010 and I still don't have a robot like Paulie had in Rocky IV?!

2. Quigley Down Under
I think this just got overshadowed by Dances With Wolves, which was also released around the same time. Still, it seems to have developed a cult following over the years and rightly so. A nice updating of the classic western.

2. Mr. Baseball
Magnum, baseball, and Japan. Well, at least two of those should've added up to a better box office. I suspect it would have if released while the show was still on the air.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#65 Post by golfmobile »

JJW,

You are absolutely right about Bruce and Tom. I simply didn't think of them at the time I was typing to post. But, in reality, both of them are probably, "technically" bigger (certainly richer) than TS. And you're right again that those are about the only three. Can anyone else think of any others?

SL,

Are we friends again now that we agree on QDU?? :) Thanks for the information on Hannah's equestrian activities. I didn't realize she was competitive in that sport (I watch a lot of it on ESPN when I can find it, but she may not be competing at THAT advanced level), and the first I saw of her doing that kind of riding was in a still picture in the Biography show. But I really don't think TS has to worry about her college expenses, at least not to the degree that the rest of us in the "real world" would have to. I'm sure his Las Vegas role will cover tuition even at an Ivy League school.

Shermy,

Sorry, mate, but I just don't "see" Runaway as a stellar example of TS' bankability at the box office. Maybe it's because I just don't like much science fiction (unless it's Star Trek), but I would not call that one TS' best acting jobs.

But Mr. Baseball was cute. I liked the baseball/sports part of the story more than the romance, which I just didn't "buy" and it seemed like something just added to extend the story to be a two-hour movie. And the character TS played just seemed to be more "Magnum Plays Baseball in Japan" (the immature, petulant Magnum, which he could be, we have to admit that) than a character different from Magnum (e.g., his westerns, the convict in AIM, and the architect in 3M&AB -- and certainly not Jesse Stone!).

JMHO

golf

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#66 Post by J.J. Walters »

Shermy wrote:Where's the love for Runaway?! :lol:
LOL! Now there's a movie I had totally forgotten about! I remember watching that years ago and thinking, "You know, Gene Simmons is pretty good as the villian here. He's actually not a bad actor". I'm definitely gonna have to revisit this one.

QDU is another one I need to see again. I never actually saw the whole thing.

Golf, after racking my brain, I've come up these names. That's all I got.

Kelsey Grammer (movies, two hit TV shows)
Ted Danson (movies, two hit TV shows)
Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver & Stargate SG-1)
Pierce Brosnan (Remington Steele, Bond movies)
Michael J. Fox (long run as movie star)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#67 Post by golfmobile »

JJW,

SACRILEGE!!! A Tom Selleck fan who has never seen QDU!!! If you want to PM me your snail mail address, I'll put a DVD of it in the mail to you.

And good thinking with the other crossover actors, though none of those made it as "high" as Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis, though MJ Fox' "Future" franchise probably came close, but unfortunately for us, he's no longer in the "game" due to the health problems (Hey! An interesting correlation of his doing guest spots on Boston Legal also!). And Remington Steele has made a successful, though less prolific, transition too.

Sounds as though our hero was a little off in his calculations of being nearly "the only one." But I think he was thinking more longevity and numbers of projects than profit, and Tom H. and Bruce are about the only ones who have been doing it as long and as prolifically as TS -- AND are still doing it.

golf

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#68 Post by Shermy »

Harrison Ford is still a star, but if we're limiting it to tv show actors...

Robin Williams would certainly make the list, and is one of those rare actors that can survive multiple bombs at the box office.

Denzel Washington and George Clooney didn't exactly become stars until the late 80s/early 90s, but both did enjoy brief stints on popular mid-80s shows. They are also now bigger than most of the actors mentioned, and would be eligible for such a "20 year club" in just a few short years.

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#69 Post by eegorr »

Somehow Kurt Russell was dropped from the list, and, while we are at it, maybe we should add Goldie Hawn, just to show that we are not just a bunch of sexist pigs! :lol:

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#70 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote: On another note, what are your favorite TS roles? Quigley Down Under is in my Top Ten Movies of All Time, and I think An Innocent Man was WAY under-rated.

I would have to say Quigley Down Under is one of my favorite TS roles too. However, I also really enjoy, Monte Walsh, Crossfire Trail, Last Stand At Saber River, The Sacketts (pre-MPI, which also featured Mercedes McCambridge of the MPI episode "Don't Say Goodbye"), The Shadow Riders, Mr. Baseball, Three Men and a Baby, Stone Cold and many of his others.

But, one of my favorite movies of all time is the World War II movie "Midway" which briefly featured a 'mustache-less' Tom Selleck as a Marine Captain on Midway Island. His commanding officer on Midway Island was Larry Pennell who was in the MPI episode "Double Jeopardy."

As far as the 80's TV stars that are still popular and making movies, I would have to add: (1) Eddie Murphy-SNL; (2) Dan Akroyd-SNL; (3) Chevy Chase-SNL (maybe more '70's than '80's); (4) John Candy-SCTV (although now deceased he would still be very popular today); (5) Eugene Levy-SCTV (American Pie movies); (6) John Ritter-Three's Company (still would be making movies if not for his untimely demise); and (7) one of my absolute favorite comedians/entertainers, Bob Newhart-The Bob Newhart Show & Newhart (recently appeared in ELF and was also in TS's "In and Out".
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#71 Post by golfmobile »

eegorr, I did mention Kurt Russell (see second paragraph of 6/22 post), but you're right I should have included Goldie. And if we're adding the "girls," we probably need to add Lily Tomlin too (who also DOES go back and forth between movies and TV). And Penny Marshall might not still be acting, but do we count her for directing? And if we count her, we HAVE to count Ron Howard! And, gosh save me from www.imdb.com, but Diane Keaton ALSO started in early 1970s TV!

And, Shermy, you're dead right about Robin Williams -- of course! And Harrison Ford has had a long film history too, but I think we're trying to stick to TV shows for each star's "beginning" (Harrison did guest shots on TV, as did Diane Keaton -- but neither got known until they were in successful movies -- at least to use TS' analogy. And I'll give you Denzel (interesting, too, that both he and George C. got their "start" in doctor shows, St. Elsewhere and ER, respectively), but in terms of productions, I think both Denzel and George aren't quite up there with the number of movies as Bruce, Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, Kurt Russell, etc. (But I haven't gone to www.imdb.com to count, so don't give me too much grief!)

So our beloved TS is not in such "lonely company," after all, is he? Nice try, Tom, it sure sounded good when you said it. However, TS is still the only one to move easily between the Silver Screen and the Boob Tube, isn't he? But, wait, it's been a few years since he was in a big-screen movie, hasn't it? 1999 (I'm not counting the voice in "Meet the Robinsons" -- face time counts more, IMHO) and even that one wasn't that big a role, not the "star."

What an interesting thread! What counts is that he is still alive and kicking and acting up a storm, and we'll follow him in anything (within reason -- we aren't totally indiscriminate -- if he messes up, we'll still say so, and just forgive him, right?)

But this is getting too complicated -- too many actors to mention, so it seems. Still, this really has been fun to stir all this up!

golf

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#72 Post by SelleckLover »

Yes, golfmobile, we are friends....we always were, in my book! TS could very well be a little "thrifty" when it comes to money, and he's probably dull as dishwater, which is why I'd never want to ever meet him. He just so couldn't live up to what I've built up in my mind over the years! So I'll just be content to worship him from afar.....LOL

Here are his daughter Hannah's achievements in horsemanship:

High Junior Jumper Classic: 1st Place, Desert Circuit IV, 2nd place, Desert Circuit III,

$25,000 High Junior Classic: 3rd Place, Desert Circuit IV

ASPCA Medal: 1st Place, Desert Circuit I
USET Medal: 1st Place Oaks II, 2nd Place Desert Circuit III
Champion Equitation 16-17 Desert Circuit III
WIHS Medal: 2nd Place, Oaks I

High fences are the dominant feature in the rest of Hanna's final year. She is looking forward to earning a berth on this fall's Prix de States team. Following up last summer's super successful debut at Spruce Meadows is a major goal, as is earning a berth on the NAYRC "A" team and/or on a West Coast Active Riders tour.

I obtained the above information from Monarch International Show Circuit Magazine, Spring 2007, Volume 14, Number 2.

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#73 Post by eegorr »

SelleckLover wrote:Here are his daughter Hannah's achievements in horsemanship...
Does it say if Hannah competed in a big event in the Palm Springs area in January-February of this year? I have a friend who competes there, along with his wife and son, and another friend from Vancouver whose daughter does very well, too. I think she is a little younger than Hannah, but they might compete in the same class.

I wonder if her father was there, rooting for her?
Last edited by eegorr on Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#74 Post by eegorr »

SelleckLover wrote:I obtained the above information from Monarch International Show Circuit Magazine, Spring 2007, Volume 14, Number 2.
Look who's on the cover of that issue. :wink:

And there are a few more pix here.

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#75 Post by eegorr »

eegorr wrote:
SelleckLover wrote:Here are his daughter Hannah's achievements in horsemanship...
Does it say if Hannah competed in a big event in the Palm Springs area in January-February of this year? I have a friend who competes there, along with his wife and son, and another friend from Vancouver whose daughter does very well, too. I think she is a little younger than Hannah, but they might compete in the same class.
Looks like I answered my own question:

Horse Show Results
Jumper Divisions
DESERT CIRCUIT I * JANUARY 23-28, 2007

My friend's daughter placed second in Level I Jumpers, riding her old horse named Levi. My other friend's son is listed here, too.