The Tom Selleck Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Tobi
Captain

Re: The Tom Selleck Thread

#1006 Post by Tobi »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:18 pm Okay, so I'm the only one posting here on the Selleck thread and it seems to be only about his watches! Well, I guess it makes sense. He inspired a lot of guys to think about watches more than just an accessory; for some, it's symbolic of the father-son relationship. That intergenerational connection that can mean so much. Let's face it, Home from the Sea had an impact. That's probably why there seems to be an endless fascination with the man and his watches. Well, there's also the well known story of Selleck's dad giving him a watch for his 21st birthday.

All that to say...here's yet another Hodinkee article on Tom's character's watches from Three Men and a Baby. (A Timex Triathlon and a very '80s two tone Rolex Datejust).

The article says it is a Datejust but on the photo it looks more like an Oyster Perpetual - difficult to make out but I would imagine that the cyclops / date window would show more than it does.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#1007 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Tobi wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:25 am

The article says it is a Datejust but on the photo it looks more like an Oyster Perpetual - difficult to make out but I would imagine that the cyclops / date window would show more than it does.
Damn good point, Tobi!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

My Little Voice
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1008 Post by My Little Voice »

Thanks for sharing the Hodinkee article! My first watch was a Timex Ironman and I purchased this reissue from Todd Snyder a few years ago: https://www.gearpatrol.com/deals/a42312 ... atch-deal/

It's very similar to the watch I had, but I do wish it was a bit smaller like the original. I'll have to give Three Men and a Baby another look. I tried watching it a couple months back, but only made it through the first 20 minutes or so.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#1009 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Jumping into this thread a bit randomly based on a memory

Runaway came out in December of 1984. At that point I was a pretty big magnum damn and excited to see Tom Selleck in a movie. My friends were also super excited (because Gene Simmons from Kiss was also in it). I had to really play it cool leaving the theater to not blow my cover that I was going to see Magnum in a movie and not the guy who sang "lick it up".

At 12 years old seeing magnum drop an f bomb was pretty cool.

I will save my innocent man story for another day.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1010 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:48 am Jumping into this thread a bit randomly based on a memory

Runaway came out in December of 1984. At that point I was a pretty big magnum damn and excited to see Tom Selleck in a movie. My friends were also super excited (because Gene Simmons from Kiss was also in it). I had to really play it cool leaving the theater to not blow my cover that I was going to see Magnum in a movie and not the guy who sang "lick it up".

At 12 years old seeing magnum drop an f bomb was pretty cool.

I will save my innocent man story for another day.
Ok, now I want to hear your INNOCENT MAN story! :D

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#1011 Post by SeamanWolfe »

I may have oversold the story Ivan, but here it goes.

I saw innocent man opening weekend - my senior year in high school (fall of 89). After a hard day at work (bagging groceries at 3.35 an hour - which was actually an awesome job) I took my parents car (a brand new 1990 2 door Chevy cavalier) and picked up my buddy for a night out.

We headed to the theater. Liked the movie, grabbed a bite and we were driving around. A few notes - I was a terrible driver 2 - I had secretly hoped my parents would buy a Buick Skyhawk because it had flip up headLights (similar to Magnum's Ferrari).

While trying to execute a ninety degree turn at 40 mph - I wrapped the first new car my parents ever bought around a tree and wrecked it completely. An ambulance ride, broken finger, sprained ankle and several hours of oral surgery later (note number 2 - I had gotten my braces off 6 months earlier - so hitting My face on the steering wheel was double bad).

I have forever linked that movie and the Joe Cocker song (When the night comes) with wrecking my parents car on an October night in 1989. I am 99% sure I never saw the movie again. I have a VHS copy, but I have not built up the nerve to watch it.

Maybe for the 35th anniversary in 2024.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1012 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:18 am I may have oversold the story Ivan, but here it goes.

I saw innocent man opening weekend - my senior year in high school (fall of 89). After a hard day at work (bagging groceries at 3.35 an hour - which was actually an awesome job) I took my parents car (a brand new 1990 2 door Chevy cavalier) and picked up my buddy for a night out.

We headed to the theater. Liked the movie, grabbed a bite and we were driving around. A few notes - I was a terrible driver 2 - I had secretly hoped my parents would buy a Buick Skyhawk because it had flip up headLights (similar to Magnum's Ferrari).

While trying to execute a ninety degree turn at 40 mph - I wrapped the first new car my parents ever bought around a tree and wrecked it completely. An ambulance ride, broken finger, sprained ankle and several hours of oral surgery later (note number 2 - I had gotten my braces off 6 months earlier - so hitting My face on the steering wheel was double bad).

I have forever linked that movie and the Joe Cocker song (When the night comes) with wrecking my parents car on an October night in 1989. I am 99% sure I never saw the movie again. I have a VHS copy, but I have not built up the nerve to watch it.

Maybe for the 35th anniversary in 2024.
Wow, wrapping your parents' brand new car around a tree!!! :shock: :shock: You definitely did not oversell your story. That's quite the "innocent man" story. :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1013 Post by T.Q. »

Anyone know when Selleck's memoir is coming?

Seems like I read about it couple years ago and seems pretty delayed.

I still think of this when I see the word memoir: That's the only difference between the novels and the memoirs. :higgins:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#1014 Post by Styles Bitchley »

T.Q. wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:23 pm Anyone know when Selleck's memoir is coming?

I still think of this when I see the word memoir: That's the only difference between the novels and the memoirs. :higgins:
I didn't even know one was in the works. I'd read that, for sure.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1015 Post by T.Q. »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:45 pm
T.Q. wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:23 pm Anyone know when Selleck's memoir is coming?

I didn't even know one was in the works. I'd read that, for sure.
2019: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifes ... r-1200076/

https://www.amazon.com/Untitled-Tom-Sel ... 0008352976
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1016 Post by Pahonu »

New info on the Selleck’s autobiography:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/parade.com ... on-12/amp/

litefoot
Vice Admiral

#1017 Post by litefoot »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:30 pm New info on the Selleck’s autobiography:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/parade.com ... on-12/amp/
Thanks for that!

I really wouldn't mind if he wrote two or three volumes. One pre-Magnum, a second solely on Magnum, and a third post-Magnum.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1018 Post by T.Q. »

Anyone know a current address to Tom?

I went through great lengths* to get him to sign a picture.

Guess the photo I bought was a scam from a home printer as it's degraded quite a bit.

I thought it was a real photo.

So thinking of replacing if I can.

My success last time was using the NRA address but I think he left the NRA.

Just curious if anyone knows where fan mail goes.

Thanks.

* Not really great lengths. It's easy. Photo, nice letter asking for an autograph, self addressed stamped envelope.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1019 Post by T.Q. »

I'll try this.

Tom Selleck
N2N Entertainment, Inc.
1049 Havenhurst Dr
Suite 209
West Hollywood CA 90046
USA

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1020 Post by 308GUY »

Hey T.Q......................Here's another one to try, if you don't get what you want with what you have:

TWS Productions II
1014 S.Westlake Blvd.
Suite14 PMB 23
Westlake Village, CA 91361

This is the address that some pics came from with T.S. "live" signature I requested for my wife.

They are of T.S. as Frank Reagan P.C., but the signature is obviously "live" but without actually seeing him put pen to paper, no way of knowing if he has somebody doing it for him, or if his aids just present a stack of pics for him to sign once a month or something. There was also a "personalized" note supposedly from T.S. but again, taking it for granted that he actually had anything to do with it.

Point is, the address is the last one I have for "direct" contact to his production company, and it's fairly "recent".

Good luck, let us know how you make out and what worked.

8) :geek: :wink:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"