The Tom Selleck Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Tom Selleck Thread

#991 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:34 pm Yes. Once again, I agree. Hans Zimmer did an awesome score for "The Last Samurai"(2003). (..except for those bits where there's cheering in the music. I think there should never be voices or non-music bits in soundtracks.)
Oh yes! One of his best scores!! It's also probably Tom Cruise's best movie. Although I've loved his last few MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE movies. The last 3 have been leaving the recent Bond films looking pale in comparison.
I don't think I've seen "An Innocent Man". I was never interested in prison dramas - except "Papillon" (with another excellent Jerry Goldsmith score). I saw "Quigley Down Under". I thought I'd like it, but I didn't.
PAPILLON was good, especially the score by Jerry for sure! Also McQueen was a revelation in that film, stepping out of his comfort zone as the "king of cool". You should check out LOCK UP for a really good but underrated (obscure?) prison drama. Stallone as the prisoner vs. the sadistic prison warden played by Donald Sutherland. It's from 1989 (same year as the better known TANGO & CASH) but much better than that film!

Fleet Admiral

#992 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:41 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:56 am I finally read Papillon one summer after seeing the film for probably the fourth or fifth time. I recommend it highly even if it is largely made up as most consider it to be now.

I would recommend the TV film The Jericho Mile by Michael Mann as a very good prison drama. That should really go in your obscure film thread! :lol: It even has Roger Mosley.
A few times I was going to read Papillon, but then decided I don't want to ruin the movie. I've ruined many movies learning the "behind the scenes" stuff or reading background in the original books. "Shōgun" is probably my all-time-favourite thing ever on TV, but I ruined it by watching the "making of" special features crap. Now that's all I can think of. After that, I decided to NEVER see, read or hear of "behind the scenes" of anything I really like.

I'll check out "The Jericho Mile" and "An Innocent Man".
I don't think "behind the scenes" or "making of" features ever hurt my love for a movie or TV show. In fact they enhanced it! I loved watching all the Behind the Scenes and Making Of stuff for the Bond films. Sometimes they were even more fascinating to watch than the movie itself, especially after having seen the movie multiple times. It's funny - you sound like my dad. :lol: He's the only one I know who thinks such things hurt a movie. And now there's you. :D I'm curious what about it hurt it for you?

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#993 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:40 pm Oh yes! One of his best scores!! It's also probably Tom Cruise's best movie. Although I've loved his last few MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE movies. The last 3 have been leaving the recent Bond films looking pale in comparison.
It seems these days the only movies worth watching are Tom Cruise movies. It's probably because he has executive control over every aspect of the movie and can override many of the stupid decisions otherwise being made. I have very few movies made post-2000 and more than half are Tom Cruise movies. "Oblivion" is my favourite because it has a "70's future" science fiction feel. It has some flaws, of course. "Edge of Tomorrow" is good too, but I don't like it as much as "Oblivion".
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:48 pm I don't think "behind the scenes" or "making of" features ever hurt my love for a movie or TV show. In fact they enhanced it! I loved watching all the Behind the Scenes and Making Of stuff for the Bond films. Sometimes they were even more fascinating to watch than the movie itself, especially after having seen the movie multiple times. It's funny - you sound like my dad. :lol: He's the only one I know who thinks such things hurt a movie. And now there's you. :D I'm curious what about it hurt it for you?
It destroys the "suspension of disbelief". I want to believe in a movie. I don't want to know that the "buddies" actually hated each other or that the greedy producers ripped off somebody's royalties, leading to long bitter court cases.

I don't want to know that during a romantic love scene, so-and-so actually had really bad breath, or that just before a tense dramatic scene, the hero let out a ripping fart.

These things stick in my mind and ruin the fantasy.

Fleet Admiral

#994 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:57 pm It destroys the "suspension of disbelief". I want to believe in a movie. I don't want to know that the "buddies" actually hated each other or that the greedy producers ripped off somebody's royalties, leading to long bitter court cases.

I don't want to know that during a romantic love scene, so-and-so actually had really bad breath, or that just before a tense dramatic scene, the hero let out a ripping fart.

These things stick in my mind and ruin the fantasy.
Oh really? Lol that's funny. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I know that Connery hated the producers Cubby and Harry of the Bond franchise because he felt stiffed by them. I also know that George Lazenby and Diana Rigg hated each other and that she would eat garlic before her kissing scenes with him. Still doesn't phase me. I still love the movie and them in it.

But wait... what does any of this have to do with Tom Selleck? :? Oops...

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#995 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:11 pmBut wait... what does any of this have to do with Tom Selleck? :? Oops...
I don't know. Maybe Tom Selleck ripped a fart before blowing away Ivan.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#996 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Last night I saw "An Innocent Man". Instead of a tedious review, I'll just let my little wife sum it up. As the movie ended, she said.. and I quote: "Well that just sucked. Bad acting, bad plot, bad, bad, bad."

Now normally, one must agree with one's wife - even when one disagrees - but in this case, I agreed. It sucked. Well I guess it wasn't all bad... but it was mostly bad.

She forgot to mention the awful music. I couldn't believe it when I saw that it was Howard Shore - the composer who did the great "Dead Ringers" score only the year before.

I was surprised to see David Rasche from "Sledge Hammer!" there, playing an almost Sledge-like character (strange to see "Sledge" swearing). It's also weird because Anne-Marie Martin, Dori Doreau from "Sledge Hammer!" was in "Runaway". Is there a Tom Selleck movie that has Captain Trunk?

Fleet Admiral

#997 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

For the longest time I thought AN INNOCENT MAN was a TV-movie. Before I saw it. Don't know why I thought so. Maybe because I think of Tom more as TV material? I suppose in a way the movie does have a TV-movie feel to it, but I still thought it was pretty darn good. It's just a good gritty prison drama. Did you notice that the director was Peter Yates, the guy who gave us BULLITT? Now, this film is obviously not on par with that cop classic but then few are. Maybe Yates should have brought Lalo Schifrin on board for this one, instead of Howard Shore. :) It's been a while so I can't recall the score for it at all. I really don't know Shore from squat, except that he scored all those LORD OF THE RINGS movies which I have zero interest in. Couldn't get past 15 minutes of the first one. There are some composers (like Shore) that I couldn't hum a single thing by them if you held a gun to my head. Either because I haven't watched enough films scored by them or because their music simply doesn't register with me. Mark Isham is another. Harry Gregson-Williams. I know I've seen enough films by them but they just don't register. Even James Newton Howard I have a hard time with. I remember liking his scores for BLOOD DIAMOND and SALT but can't hum them at the moment. SALT actually reminded me of John Powell's stuff for the BOURNE films. But I digress... :)

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#998 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:52 pmI really don't know Shore from squat, except that he scored all those LORD OF THE RINGS movies which I have zero interest in. Couldn't get past 15 minutes of the first one. There are some composers (like Shore) that I couldn't hum a single thing by them if you held a gun to my head.
I guess you've never seen "Dead Ringers"(1988) then. That's the only reason I know him (and assumed he was good). Well, that and "The Game"(1997).

Yes, I too have zero interest in "Lord of the Rings" movies. What a convoluted bunch of crap.

We need to start a movie music thread. If this wasn't the Tom Selleck thread, I'd ask you what you think of the music in "Gattaca" and "Queen of Hearts".

But this is the Tom Selleck thread. :P

Fleet Admiral

#999 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Yes, we should start a separate thread and much of what was discussed here over the past few days about film scores should be transferred there. Never seen GATTACA and never heard of QUEEN OF HEARTS. What's wild? :P

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#1000 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

What? You didn't read my "Obscure Movie Recommendations" thread? "Queen of Hearts" is in the first post - with link to full movie. If you haven't seen "Gattaca", see it!

Soundtrack sample:

youtu.be/ldkSV0gElxg

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1001 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:01 pm Last night I saw "An Innocent Man". Instead of a tedious review, I'll just let my little wife sum it up. As the movie ended, she said.. and I quote: "Well that just sucked. Bad acting, bad plot, bad, bad, bad."

Now normally, one must agree with one's wife - even when one disagrees - but in this case, I agreed. It sucked. Well I guess it wasn't all bad... but it was mostly bad.

She forgot to mention the awful music. I couldn't believe it when I saw that it was Howard Shore - the composer who did the great "Dead Ringers" score only the year before.

I was surprised to see David Rasche from "Sledge Hammer!" there, playing an almost Sledge-like character (strange to see "Sledge" swearing). It's also weird because Anne-Marie Martin, Dori Doreau from "Sledge Hammer!" was in "Runaway". Is there a Tom Selleck movie that has Captain Trunk?
I believe I mentioned this in another thread but the creator of Sledge Hammer, Alan Spencer, is a friend of mine. Actually, he’s a friend of a friend, but we’ve kept in touch since we first met over 25 years ago. He mostly works cleaning up scripts for production these days, but he also directed and wrote the film Hexed back in the 90’s, which is around the time we met. Anyway, he is working on a new Sledge Hammer, with a mix of old and new cast. Who knows where that will go, but I do know he still gets residuals from the original series. Apparently it is/was very popular in Japan and elsewhere. I haven’t seen it since early 90’s reruns. It was quite topical in its storylines which doesn’t usually age well, but... if you liked the series, I thought you might want to know it could possibly return in some form.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#1002 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 amI believe I mentioned this in another thread but the creator of Sledge Hammer, Alan Spencer, is a friend of mine. Actually, he’s a friend of a friend, but we’ve kept in touch since we first met over 25 years ago. He mostly works cleaning up scripts for production these days, but he also directed and wrote the film Hexed back in the 90’s, which is around the time we met. Anyway, he is working on a new Sledge Hammer, with a mix of old and new cast. Who knows where that will go, but I do know he still gets residuals from the original series. Apparently it is/was very popular in Japan and elsewhere. I haven’t seen it since early 90’s reruns. It was quite topical in its storylines which doesn’t usually age well, but... if you liked the series, I thought you might want to know it could possibly return in some form.
That's strange.

I have no doubt that Sledge Hammer is popular in Japan. Even I am popular in Japan. (Korea too)

I loved the original Sledge Hammer! (first season) and was disappointed when it was cancelled. I didn't see the second season because it wasn't broadcast where I was in Canada. I didn't even know there was a second season until a couple years ago.

I doubt a new Sledge would be any good. It would probably be like all the recent remakes - an attempt at money-grubbing nostalgia, while pushing the latest anti-white pro-diversity 100+gender-identity nonsense. Sledge would be the pathetic butt of any anti-white-male-patriarchy joke... which... I guess.. is the same as the original. Wow, I suppose anti-white-male-bashing went back further than I thought... (who wrote this again?)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1003 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:56 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 amI believe I mentioned this in another thread but the creator of Sledge Hammer, Alan Spencer, is a friend of mine. Actually, he’s a friend of a friend, but we’ve kept in touch since we first met over 25 years ago. He mostly works cleaning up scripts for production these days, but he also directed and wrote the film Hexed back in the 90’s, which is around the time we met. Anyway, he is working on a new Sledge Hammer, with a mix of old and new cast. Who knows where that will go, but I do know he still gets residuals from the original series. Apparently it is/was very popular in Japan and elsewhere. I haven’t seen it since early 90’s reruns. It was quite topical in its storylines which doesn’t usually age well, but... if you liked the series, I thought you might want to know it could possibly return in some form.
That's strange.

I have no doubt that Sledge Hammer is popular in Japan. Even I am popular in Japan. (Korea too)

I loved the original Sledge Hammer! (first season) and was disappointed when it was cancelled. I didn't see the second season because it wasn't broadcast where I was in Canada. I didn't even know there was a second season until a couple years ago.

I doubt a new Sledge would be any good. It would probably be like all the recent remakes - an attempt at money-grubbing nostalgia, while pushing the latest anti-white pro-diversity 100+gender-identity nonsense. Sledge would be the pathetic butt of any anti-white-male-patriarchy joke... which... I guess.. is the same as the original. Wow, I suppose anti-white-male-bashing went back further than I thought... (who wrote this again?)
Yeah, that was actually the premise of the original. He was the over the top, gun-loving (literally), hyper-masculine character to the point of idiocy. That, of course, is the whole point of satire. The show lampooned just about everything in its day, including its hero, which is fair. You loved it, as you said. I thought it was pretty funny too, but have no confidence in a new version.
Last edited by Pahonu on Mon May 31, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#1004 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Here's an article that just came out on Hodinkee (the wristwatch publication), where they take a look at the watches the cast of Friends were wearing in the reunion show that just came out on HBO Max - and Tom is there. Would love to see a similar reunion for Magnum, of course.

They note that he's not wearing a Rolex GMT, but rather a gold Rolex Daytona. Seems to make sense at his stage in life. Something more elegant, but still adventurous.

Always nice to see the Big Guy in current headlines.

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#1005 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Okay, so I'm the only one posting here on the Selleck thread and it seems to be only about his watches! Well, I guess it makes sense. He inspired a lot of guys to think about watches more than just an accessory; for some, it's symbolic of the father-son relationship. That intergenerational connection that can mean so much. Let's face it, Home from the Sea had an impact. That's probably why there seems to be an endless fascination with the man and his watches. Well, there's also the well known story of Selleck's dad giving him a watch for his 21st birthday.

All that to say...here's yet another Hodinkee article on Tom's character's watches from Three Men and a Baby. (A Timex Triathlon and a very '80s two tone Rolex Datejust).

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.