The Tom Selleck Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

maggiepoole
Captain

#286 Post by maggiepoole »

http://www.pollsb.com/polls/poll/12983/ ... -rather-be
Poll: John McCain meets Tom Selleck at an NRA event. If you could choose, Who would you rather be?
Is that a real question?

Apparently Tom has been elected to NRA board of directors:
Selleck Elected to NRA Board of Directors

BY DON | MAY 17, 2008

The National Rifle Association announced today at their annual meeting in Louisville, Ky that actor Tom Selleck has been elected to the Board of Directors for a three-year term. Selleck was also the top vote getter having received 84,399 votes out of some 94,000 plus that were cast by mail. Selleck's election follows by one year the election of Lt. Col. Oliver North to the board who received the most votes in 2007 from the NRA members.
http://www.aim.org/don-irvine-blog/sell ... directors/
Trying to reach my full snail potential.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#287 Post by SelleckLover »

maggiepoole,

Did you vote? 81% said they wanted to be Tom Selleck. 19% said they wanted to be McCain. I could have told you that! :D

eeyore
Admiral

#288 Post by eeyore »

RE: the You Tube video - boy would I love to make some comments, but I won't. I should have not even posted but had to let off some "steam"

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#289 Post by sophia »

If Jillie Mack's name had been listed I think she would have won the vote.
:lol:

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#290 Post by Olivier »

Someone can confirm Tom Selleck is still republican ?
I hope yes :D .

SelleckLover

#291 Post by SelleckLover »

Olivier wrote:
Someone can confirm Tom Selleck is still republican ?
According to some of the interviews I've read, he is now a registered Independent. In Hollywood, if you want to have some kind of career, you never join the Republican party. Click on this link that goes back as far as 1984 and shows his donations to political causes. It looks to me as if he donates to a lot of Republican campaigns!

http://www.newsmeat.com/celebrity_polit ... elleck.php

It's a kind of interesting list.

SL

SelleckLover

#292 Post by SelleckLover »

I just found this web site that lists his political party as Independent. Click on the link below:

http://www.nndb.com/people/677/000023608/

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#293 Post by Olivier »

Thank you for the two links. Very interesting.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#294 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I remember him saying he was ni Independent in a Cigar Aficionado interview not too long ago. I agree with SelleckLover that his politics are Republician but he can't really be that by name in Hollywood.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#295 Post by Doc Ibold »

From what I've read/observed on this site and other sources, he sounds like more of a Liberatarian than anything (albeit a semi-conservative one). Goes along with his cigar smoking, gun owning ways (aka someone says that he CAN'T do it, makes him want to do it even more).

I think Hollywood is too black and white when it comes to Democrat vs. Republican, and you're either one or the other - bar none. I think thats why TS is intentionally vague as to what his leanings are, as if he'd explain them, they'd go right over Hollywood's head.

Good example is the Rosie O'Donnell i-view where she touted him as some NRA nutjob, and he said that he was his own man and didn't reporesent the NRA.

The man has PR skills up the wazoo!

SelleckLover

#296 Post by SelleckLover »

I agree with you Doc. I believe he is intentionally vague about his politics so he can at least have some kind of career. I thought he showed a lot of class when Ms. O'Donnell ambushed him. Her career went in the toilet after that...and look who's still plugging away doing excellent work!!!

JonnyDaytona
Captain

#297 Post by JonnyDaytona »

Doc Ibold wrote:From what I've read/observed on this site and other sources, he sounds like more of a Liberatarian than anything (albeit a semi-conservative one). Goes along with his cigar smoking, gun owning ways (aka someone says that he CAN'T do it, makes him want to do it even more).

I think Hollywood is too black and white when it comes to Democrat vs. Republican, and you're either one or the other - bar none. I think thats why TS is intentionally vague as to what his leanings are, as if he'd explain them, they'd go right over Hollywood's head.

Good example is the Rosie O'Donnell i-view where she touted him as some NRA nutjob, and he said that he was his own man and didn't reporesent the NRA.

The man has PR skills up the wazoo!

Yes, that was awesome. I was amusing myself with that on Youtube the other day.
"Ivan?......Did you see the sunrise?'

maggiepoole
Captain

#298 Post by maggiepoole »

This is pretty funny.

Interbay QFC Celebrates Life of Tom Selleck

The Interbay QFC isn’t going to sit back and watch Tom Selleck’s legacy as a crime-fighting, moustache-sporting sex god fade into obscurity. Paying curious homage to the macho man’s distinguished legacy is a DVD rack shoppers must pass en route to the "10 Items or Less" check-out that isn’t so much a collection of movies as it is a celebration of every movie Tom graced outside his tenure as former Navy Seal Thomas Magnum.

For many, Tom’s time as a Hollywood Alpha Male faded when CBS discontinued Magnum P.I. after the 1988 season. But for employees of the Interbay QFC, everyday is 1984, Magnum still owns the coveted 8 p.m. time slot, and The Cosby Show isn’t threatening Magnum’s dominance of the Nielsen Ratings.

QFC prides itself on a decent assortment of produce and packaged foods but when it comes to actors and movies, the selection isn’t limited, it’s singular. It's all Tom, all day, and not much else. Titles like Daughters of Satan and Mr. Baseball tantalize us as we’re funneled to the check-out stand.

"Sure, we already have ten items and grandma really needs her tissues," we tell ourselves beginning to succumb to Tom’s magnetic draw. "But would it kill Granny if we swapped her wipes for Tom’s epic portrayal of King Ferdinand in Christopher Columbus: The Discovery?"

We aren’t prepared to battle impulse buys of this magnitude at a grocery store check-out stand. Ignoring candy bars or soap opera magazines is one thing. Tom Selleck? Well that’s like dangling a bottle in front of a wino—there’s no contest.

Eventually we leave the store, Tom Selleck DVD in hand, hoping to catch a glimpse of the manager in knee-high tube socks, wearing tennis shorts, aviator glasses, and a Detroit Tigers cap. But we aren't fortunate enough to witness what surely is the greatest moustache in the QFC management chain.
http://seattlest.com/2008/06/18/interba ... elleck.php

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#299 Post by golfmobile »

QFC has "Daughters of Satan"??????? I thought it wasn't out on DVD. I wonder, though, if the author just used that title because he researched TS' early movies and mentioned it, even though it really wasn't at the store.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

maggiepoole
Captain

#300 Post by maggiepoole »

Friend of mine found some cards and pictures she had from back in the day. She had to share the Tom Selleck ones she found. :wink:

Thought I would share too. :P