The Larry Manetti Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Estate resident
Captain

#151 Post by Estate resident »

Judging from his gait it looks like Larry is suffering from some kinda hip/low back problem. His face looks great considering his age. Different people age differently.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: The Larry Manetti Thread

#152 Post by Doc Fred »

What a great show and cast of characters... Each was great. Did anyone else notice the lifts that Rick and TC always wore... I saw screen shots showing Rick's often reaching four inches and TC not much less. I guess they had to do that to not appear totally dwarfed by Magnum.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#153 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Doc Fred wrote:I saw screen shots showing Rick's often reaching four inches and TC not much less.
Sounds like hyperbole to me. I'd like to see the screen caps.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Doc Fred
Admiral

#154 Post by Doc Fred »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Doc Fred wrote:I saw screen shots showing Rick's often reaching four inches and TC not much less.
Sounds like hyperbole to me. I'd like to see the screen caps.
All you have to do is look at the DVD's.... When I next see an episode with those lifts, I'll try to remember to let you know.

No, there's no exaggeration.

In my own experience with noted people, I had the opportunity to chat with a player in the old ABA who was listed at 6'3.... I'm 6'1 and was a good three inches taller than he was, and we were both wearing "regular" shoes. Celebs and their publicity departments are notorious for adding height to their resume's. Many times with words, many times with significant lifts, and many times with both.

I taught high school and knew virtually all of the kids on the football team from class, the hallways and being in the gym during my coaching. I well recall one of the boys on the team who was maybe 5'5 and couldn't have weighed more than 115lbs... on the program, he was listed at 5'10 and 175 pounds...

I'm sure you've seen situations of the same type yourself.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Styles Bitchley

#155 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Doc Fred wrote:I'm sure you've seen situations of the same type yourself.
For sure. I've heard about Tom Cruise and Sly Stallone standing on out of frame boxes to kiss their love interest. I'm just having trouble picturing Larry with 4" platforms on.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

wdm
Vice Admiral

#156 Post by wdm »

Did anyone else hear that Larry is giving away three autographed copies of his book to the first three new callers tomorrow night on his show?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#157 Post by 308GUY »

Yes, did hear that. I think it was going to be the first 3 callers to his radio program. I believe his guest is supposed to be Frankie Avalon.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Styles Bitchley

#158 Post by Styles Bitchley »

308GUY wrote:Yes, did hear that. I think it was going to be the first 3 callers to his radio program. I believe his guest is supposed to be Frankie Avalon.
That's awesome.

- J.Q.H.

wdm
Vice Admiral

#159 Post by wdm »

Just heard that Tom Selleck is Larry's guest tonight!! Wonder if he will take calls.

Styles Bitchley

#160 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Anybody listen to this? You can access it here: http://crntalk.com/larrymanetti

- J.Q.H.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#161 Post by Steve »

Larry made his second guest appearance on the Nov 22nd Hawaii 5-0 show along with guest star Carol Burnett...............

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#162 Post by 308GUY »

Saw that. Not sure why they cast him as a singer, but from what I understand, that's what his first guest spot had him as too, but again....not sure WHY? :lol:

Doesn't look like he's missed too many meals in the last few years! Wonder if CB contacted the show or the other way round for her spot. She's usually entertaining, but I'm not sure she fit the role quite right. We all get old sooner or later, I got no room to talk, but she looked so much older than the last time I saw her.

Starting to enjoy H50 a little more than when I first started watching, but I wish they'd have TS do a guest spot, or RM, I don't figure JH will be on screen anymore, but ya never can tell.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#163 Post by Steve »

308GUY wrote:Saw that. Not sure why they cast him as a singer, but from what I understand, that's what his first guest spot had him as too, but again....not sure WHY? :lol:

Doesn't look like he's missed too many meals in the last few years! Wonder if CB contacted the show or the other way round for her spot. She's usually entertaining, but I'm not sure she fit the role quite right. We all get old sooner or later, I got no room to talk, but she looked so much older than the last time I saw her.

Starting to enjoy H50 a little more than when I first started watching, but I wish they'd have TS do a guest spot, or RM, I don't figure JH will be on screen anymore, but ya never can tell.
If I recall correctly Larry's character owns that night club. He sure wasn't key to the plot and only shows up in his embarrassing attempt at the touch football game in the beginning and the end with Carol singing at his club. Ms Burnett was probably in it as she has a home in Hawaii and it is easy for the producers to get her to say yes. I am wondering if LM still has property over there as well as he sure didn't add anything to the story this time............

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#164 Post by 308GUY »

Thanks Steve, that would explain it alright.

Didn't know CB had a home on the islands, that also clears up that question.

H50 is starting to look a little better to me, as I said, but it's not like the original by a long shot, and it'll never replace MPI, IMHO.

Maybe it's seeing the "familiar" scenery from MPI that is the attraction, as sometimes I'll find myself stopping for more than a few minutes on "Dog the Bounty Hunter" for the same reason, as I don't believe it would have any appeal for me were it set anywhere else. He IS quite a character though. :lol:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#165 Post by Steve »

308GUY wrote:
H50 is starting to look a little better to me, as I said, but it's not like the original by a long shot, and it'll never replace MPI, IMHO.

Maybe it's seeing the "familiar" scenery from MPI that is the attraction, as sometimes I'll find myself stopping for more than a few minutes
I'm with you there. I watch to catch some familiar spots and am still waiting for shot of The Estate, even if it is just from one of those flyover shots that they use so much (Good shots of Rabbit Island in this episode). The only thing I hate about the show right now is the addition of Michelle Borth to the team but I am liking the addition of Chi McBride..........