The Larry Manetti Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Larry Manetti Thread

#211 Post by K Hale »

Just saw this article posted on Facebook. https://geeks.media/larry-manetti-has-n ... hese-years

Quote: "No matter, Manetti had no regrets about taking a backseat to the raw sexual energy of a mustache the 80s will never forget. “He was a wonderful guy. The consummate actor – everyday a delight. But he’s a Texan, not British,” Manetti laughed ironically of John Hillerman."

I'm not saying he's wrong, mind you. At all. I'm just saying this is the best thing I've seen on the internet all year. Or an example of some really bad editing. NO -- it's both. It's definitely both.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#212 Post by T.Q. »

I emailed Larry a while back.

Told him I’m running through the series in HD and everytime I watch I appreciate more what he brought to Rick’s character.

Also complimented him on his book.

Got a nice reply.

Had a bit of a back and forth.

He’s a nice guy.

Conch: we need Rick and T.C. Emojis. :D
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#213 Post by Steve »

T.Q. wrote:I emailed Larry a while back.

Told him I’m running through the series in HD and everytime I watch I appreciate more what he brought to Rick’s character.

Got a nice reply.

He’s a nice guy.

He is one of the nice ones. I e-mailed him after he and Roger guest starred on Las Vegas with TS to let him know we at the Magnum-Mania loved that he wore his team ring. To my surprise he e-mailed right back and was very appreciative of the catch by all of us.....

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#214 Post by T.Q. »

Steve wrote:
T.Q. wrote:I emailed Larry a while back.

Got a nice reply.

He’s a nice guy.

He is one of the nice ones. I e-mailed him after he and Roger guest starred on Las Vegas with TS to let him know we at the Magnum-Mania loved that he wore his team ring. To my surprise he e-mailed right back and was very appreciative of the catch by all of us.....
It’s nice.

I know he’s no superstar (inundated with hundreds of thousands of fan letters/emails/messages) but it’s nice when celebrities take the time.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#215 Post by terryfromkerry »

Larry & Nancy with three interesting guests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoFeGW6QWhE
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

robbie308
Lieutenant

#216 Post by robbie308 »

I am not sure if this has been brought up before:

https://www.cameo.com/larrymanetti

Have to admit that Larry (Rick) was never my favourite character in the series, but still it is pretty saddening to see him like this.
"Oh – my – god!"

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#217 Post by 80s Big Hair »

robbie308 wrote:I am not sure if this has been brought up before:

Have to admit that Larry (Rick) was never my favourite character in the series, but still it is pretty saddening to see him like this.
That freaked me out. He is 72, but looks like he is 92.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#218 Post by Steve »

80s Big Hair wrote:
robbie308 wrote:I am not sure if this has been brought up before:

That freaked me out. He is 72, but looks like he is 92.
His last appearance on the Magnum reboot he sat behind a piano and never got up. He seemed as though he may of had a stroke. I hope he is okay....

robbie308
Lieutenant

#219 Post by robbie308 »

Steve wrote:
His last appearance on the Magnum reboot he sat behind a piano and never got up. He seemed as though he may of had a stroke. I hope he is okay....
Now this episode was broadcasted over here in Germany as well. Really hard to tell what his condition is like – he didn't look too well, but at least somewhat better than in those Cameo videos. As you said, let's hope he is okay.
"Oh – my – god!"

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#220 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Guess who was also in "The Rockford Files"? Well, since this is in The Larry Manetti Thread, presumably your guess would be Larry Manetti. Last night I watched "Nice Guys Finish Dead" from 1979. Going into it I knew Tom Selleck was going to have a big role in it playing Lance White, but I was completely blown away when early on James Garner's and Tom Selleck's characters were talking to each other at a P.I. awards ceremony and Larry Manetti came up to talk to them playing a character not so creatively named Larry. While not having all that much screen time, Manetti's character was crucial to the plot of the episode.

The episode was pretty funny as well, albeit a bit over the top. Lance White (Selleck) has everything once again conveniently fall perfectly in place for him during the investigation, while nothing is working for Jim Rockford (Garner).

I was not sure if this belonged here or in the Other TV Shows/The Rockford Files thread. I opted for here since it involved two Magnum, P.I. actors. I made a screen shot of Garner, Selleck, and Manetti if anyone wants to see it, just I have to find a free photo hosting site.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#221 Post by Pahonu »

80s Big Hair wrote:Guess who was also in "The Rockford Files"? Well, since this is in The Larry Manetti Thread, presumably your guess would be Larry Manetti. Last night I watched "Nice Guys Finish Dead" from 1979. Going into it I knew Tom Selleck was going to have a big role in it playing Lance White, but I was completely blown away when early on James Garner's and Tom Selleck's characters were talking to each other at a P.I. awards ceremony and Larry Manetti came up to talk to them playing a character not so creatively named Larry. While not having all that much screen time, Manetti's character was crucial to the plot of the episode.

The episode was pretty funny as well, albeit a bit over the top. Lance White (Selleck) has everything once again conveniently fall perfectly in place for him during the investigation, while nothing is working for Jim Rockford (Garner).

I was not sure if this belonged here or in the Other TV Shows/The Rockford Files thread. I opted for here since it involved two Magnum, P.I. actors. I made a screen shot of Garner, Selleck, and Manetti if anyone wants to see it, just I have to find a free photo hosting site.
That’s the second Rockford episode with Selleck, after White on White and Nearly Perfect. Not as good as the first, but solid. It brings back several of the show’s past characters for the P.I. awards, including James Whitmore Jr. as Freddie Beamer and Simon Oakland as Vern St. Cloud, Larry’s father. Roger Mosley was in a different episode also. He played a baddie involved in money laundering named Electric Larry! Rockford is my favorite show of all time and Garner my favorite actor.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#222 Post by Styles Bitchley »

80s Big Hair wrote:Guess who was also in "The Rockford Files"? Well, since this is in The Larry Manetti Thread, presumably your guess would be Larry Manetti. Last night I watched "Nice Guys Finish Dead" from 1979. Going into it I knew Tom Selleck was going to have a big role in it playing Lance White, but I was completely blown away when early on James Garner's and Tom Selleck's characters were talking to each other at a P.I. awards ceremony and Larry Manetti came up to talk to them playing a character not so creatively named Larry. While not having all that much screen time, Manetti's character was crucial to the plot of the episode.

Amazingly, I've never watched the Rockford Files Selleck appearances. I have to make the time. Try this site for free hosting: https://imgbb.com/
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#223 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Larry is endearing in his cast of Rick. Always the third somewhat left over and left behind lad...

... i was a bit moved by his loneliness at the begining of "The woman on th Beach".

So i am not suprised with your comments about him being a 'good' person.
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#224 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Garner (back turned), Manetti, and Selleck in Good Guys Finish Dead

Thanks Styles Bitchley. That site does not require a sign up and even generates BB code.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#225 Post by Pahonu »

Larry in a Barnaby Jones episode from 1974 called Mystery Cycle. That’s Gerald McRaney on the left. They both have small parts as motorcycle test riders.

https://ibb.co/2KDV6NL