Selleck on 'Good Day L.A.' 6/16/09

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Selleck on 'Good Day L.A.' 6/16/09

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx ... 47e74f6b21

He talks a little bit about Magnum (and "bookend episodes") at the end!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#2 Post by SelleckLover »

James,
Thank you for posting that! I always watch that show in the morning, but this morning they changed my appointment at Cardiac Rehab and I missed it! It was so good to see him just being himself, and as handsome as ever. (sigh) :wink:

DarCA
Rear Admiral

#3 Post by DarCA »

Definitely handsome as ever - thanks for sharing that!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#4 Post by Shermy »

Thanks for the link. It's interesting to hear him acknowledge the bookend episodes, since you rarely see an actor pointing those out! :lol:

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by lutherhgillis »

Thanks for posting. I'm glad Tom can peacefully co-exist with Magnum. Too many times a star will regret the very vehicle who made them a star. I have never figured this one out. Without MPI, Tom would probably be selling cars in Van Nuys... Face it, everyone needs a vehicle to get noticed, even Selleck. I'm glad he speaks fondly of MPI.

I can't wait for the new Stone in the fall. Another pretty cool show.

He's still cool at 64!
Last edited by lutherhgillis on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Frodoleader »

Wow that was great! I really do like that guy!! (TS, of course). And a great reference in regards to Roger Mosley!!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Steve »

I have to admit I was hesitant to click on the interview as I am not a fan of Jillian Barberie or Reynolds or whatever her name is now. When the show was syndicated across the Country a few years ago as "Good Day Live" she would get on my nerves but I see she wasn't on today and the ultimate professional Steve handled the interview with class and grace as per usual. What a great story about TS calling into Steve's old Radio show as "Tom from......." LOL!...........Thanks for posting James!

wdm
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by wdm »

Thanks for the great post. TS is a class act.

Zudobug
Lieutenant Commander

#9 Post by Zudobug »

You never see interviews like that in England. It just goes to show how different interviews are conducted either side of the Atlantic.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by MPS »

Thanks for posting the link. TS is still the entertaining, somewhat self-effacing guy he has always been. He is, as wdm says, "a class act".
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Yeah, great interview.

You really get the impression that Selleck looks back on MPI fondly...and he's still hanging out with TC talking about their creaking bones! That's cool.

But the reality of acknowledging the fact that he's getting older has to make you wonder how the script for a movie (tv or big screen) would unfold. I mean, you can't ignore the fact that these guys are in their 60s now. Of course they're not geriatrics either. I can maybe see some comic relief there - TM rubbing in some bengay after a long day of chasing bad guys - but it sure would have a different tone.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Zudobug
Lieutenant Commander

#12 Post by Zudobug »

If the much hinted at movie ever appears I don't think I'll bother with it. From what I've read on both the net and in newspapers it will star a whole new cast - the advantages of which will mean that it can logically take place during the original 80's timeframe. Unfortunately, it just won't be the same without Tom Selleck and the rest of the crew.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#13 Post by SelleckLover »

MPS wrote:
He is, as wdm says, "a class act".
I agree! I think what makes him a "class act" is the fact that he doesn't take himself too seriously. I've heard himstate in interviews in the past that when you're in his profession that you're "not exactly curing cancer." I also have the content of a commencement speech he gave in 2000 at Pepperdine University where he states (and I am paraphrasing here, because I cannot find it right now!) that he has the distinction of being a member of a group of people that give themselves awards the first four months of the year! I found that statement to be quite humorous and never thought of it that way before, but how true! :D