The Tom Selleck Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Tom Selleck Thread

#946 Post by K Hale »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
K Hale wrote:Great research there. Are you a subscriber to newspapers.com? I am, and you find all kinds of amazing stuff on there.

I wonder if “Try to Remember” brought back, uh, memories for Selleck of that time he actually did go over a cliff.
Thanks K Hale. Yes, I have a newspapers.com subscription too. Me thinks you are searching for John Hillerman only? :wink:
I do a lot of searching for that and have uncovered some real gems!! But I’ve also searched for other stuff, family birth announcements etc. There really is so much to be discovered.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#947 Post by terryfromkerry »

"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

prokaryote
Ensign

#948 Post by prokaryote »

Not sure if anyone posted this article link.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... s-him.html

Just a quick read. Not sure why Daily Mail posted this all of a sudden... i have not heard of anything in the news recent about Selleck.

I also didn't know that the "fame" made him feel uncomfortable... Because from all the videos and things ive read he seemed to enjoy fans.

After trolling this message board I came across a link to a youtube video of a fan who filmed them making an episode of MPI.. and TS waved at the fans and looked genuinely happy that the fans were there. anyhow, im rambling on.

Anyhow... the local station here showed Echos of the Mind 1 and 2 last night. Not necessarily my favorite episodes, but they were interesting. Does TS have a lazy eye? I pulled out the season 5 DVD today and will watch the episodes again, but there were several shot where it looked off. Ill get screen grabs later to show you guys what i mean.

bye guys!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#949 Post by K Hale »

I always felt like he was very slightly (not unattractively) wall-eyed. It becomes more obvious when he opens his eyes real wide.

As far as fame, I think there’s a line between being glad to see polite fans while you’re on the job and being plagued 24/7 everywhere you go as you try and live a normal life. Manetti wrote in his book about the time Selleck called the cops because some guy was on his roof in the middle of the night. That might be extreme but that’s just the worst manifestation of the sort of thing that famous people probably have to deal with all the time. Can he even eat dinner in a restaurant without somebody coming up to him? And once there’s one, suddenly there’s a dozen.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#950 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:
As far as fame, I think there’s a line between being glad to see polite fans while you’re on the job and being plagued 24/7 everywhere you go as you try and live a normal life. Manetti wrote in his book about the time Selleck called the cops because some guy was on his roof in the middle of the night. That might be extreme but that’s just the worst manifestation of the sort of thing that famous people probably have to deal with all the time. Can he even eat dinner in a restaurant without somebody coming up to him? And once there’s one, suddenly there’s a dozen.
It’s a very interesting phenomenon and it has always intrigued me. I happened to meet Selleck at Burbank studios in a work setting, but most people won’t have that opportunity. I’ve met various other celebrities in all kinds of places. It’s inevitable in the LA area. Most of the conversations I’ve had didn’t lead to a group of people showing up. In fact, none really did. I can think of maybe a couple of occasions where there were any other people. I’ve never interrupted a meal and probably, unusually, I don’t take pictures or ask for autographs or anything. I never really cared to. I typically just comment on some of their work that I enjoyed, occasionally leading to a nice conversation. I have passed on speaking to a few who I wasn’t a real fan of.

Celebrities of all types are paid because of popularity. I know Selleck’s quote about popularity being the pocket change of history, but if he hadn’t gained popularity on MPI or in some other entertainment arena, he likely wouldn’t have all that he does. He was a struggling actor for years. Acting talent, or whatever talent, isn’t enough. The number of creative people who are immensely talented but never become popular is vast. Some people with far less talent become popular for various reasons as well. Popularity seems a particularly fickle phenomenon.

Celebrities have to balance the privacy most of us enjoy with the reality that their success is based on people wanting to see them. Many celebrities are unprepared for the loss of privacy. Others fair better. There certainly is a line that can be crossed, but celebrity success and giving up privacy to fans can’t be separated. The wealth that comes from celebrity success, by definition, is based on popularity. Production companies don’t pay huge sums to actors no one wants to see or hear. Of course, wealth can be gained in other ways, but in the creative world it is based on popularity.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#951 Post by K Hale »

I’m sure you were polite, I’m commenting on the many, many people who are not.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu

#952 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:I’m sure you were polite, I’m commenting on the many, many people who are not.
Absolutely true. I’ve personally seen some pretty bad behavior, but I disagree that it’s many, many or most or even a majority. The paparazzi are the worst offenders in my experience. All the fans that buy the celebrity magazines and watch TMZ-type shows give the paparazzi a lucrative reason to be extremely aggressive and rude in getting those candid photos and videos. Many fans probably don’t realize that. I was just musing on the idea that it comes with the territory, so to speak.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#953 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote:
K Hale wrote: As far as fame, I think there’s a line between being glad to see polite fans while you’re on the job and being plagued 24/7 everywhere you go as you try and live a normal life. Manetti wrote in his book about the time Selleck called the cops because some guy was on his roof in the middle of the night. That might be extreme but that’s just the worst manifestation of the sort of thing that famous people probably have to deal with all the time. Can he even eat dinner in a restaurant without somebody coming up to him? And once there’s one, suddenly there’s a dozen.
It’s a very interesting phenomenon and it has always intrigued me. I happened to meet Selleck at Burbank studios in a work setting, but most people won’t have that opportunity. I’ve met various other celebrities in all kinds of places. It’s inevitable in the LA area. Most of the conversations I’ve had didn’t lead to a group of people showing up. In fact, none really did. I can think of maybe a couple of occasions where there were any other people. I’ve never interrupted a meal and probably, unusually, I don’t take pictures or ask for autographs or anything. I never really cared to. I typically just comment on some of their work that I enjoyed, occasionally leading to a nice conversation. I have passed on speaking to a few who I wasn’t a real fan of.
Celebrities of all types are paid because of popularity. I know Selleck’s quote about popularity being the pocket change of history, but if he hadn’t gained popularity on MPI or in some other entertainment arena, he likely wouldn’t have all that he does. He was a struggling actor for years. Acting talent, or whatever talent, isn’t enough. The number of creative people who are immensely talented but never become popular is vast. Some people with far less talent become popular for various reasons as well. Popularity seems a particularly fickle phenomenon.
Celebrities have to balance the privacy most of us enjoy with the reality that their success is based on people wanting to see them. Many celebrities are unprepared for the loss of privacy. Others fair better. There certainly is a line that can be crossed, but celebrity success and giving up privacy to fans can’t be separated. The wealth that comes from celebrity success, by definition, is based on popularity. Production companies don’t pay huge sums to actors no one wants to see or hear. Of course, wealth can be gained in other ways, but in the creative world it is based on popularity.
Pahonu,
Excellent post, you really summed up the relationship between the stars and fans. Bravo!
A quick story on actors privacy. Every year Robert Mitchum would grow a beard, put his family in his old station wagon and head out across America to see the sights
and hunt and fish for 6 weeks. This partly made up for all the family time he lost while filming on location. The Mitchums would interact with the public just like
we do, over the years he was only recognized once or twice as he assumed no airs, wore 'regular' clothes and in a beat up station wagon they were like any other
family on vacation.
I wonder if Selleck did the same thing, would you recognize him in Yellowstone Park or visiting the Lincoln Memorial?
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#954 Post by K Hale »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
K Hale wrote: As far as fame, I think there’s a line between being glad to see polite fans while you’re on the job and being plagued 24/7 everywhere you go as you try and live a normal life. Manetti wrote in his book about the time Selleck called the cops because some guy was on his roof in the middle of the night. That might be extreme but that’s just the worst manifestation of the sort of thing that famous people probably have to deal with all the time. Can he even eat dinner in a restaurant without somebody coming up to him? And once there’s one, suddenly there’s a dozen.
Pahonu,
Excellent post, you really summed up the relationship between the stars and fans. Bravo!
A quick story on actors privacy. Every year Robert Mitchum would grow a beard, put his family in his old station wagon and head out across America to see the sights
and hunt and fish for 6 weeks. This partly made up for all the family time he lost while on filming on location. The Mitchums would interact with the public just like
we do, over the years he was only recognized once or twice as he assumed no airs, wore 'regular' clothes and in a beat up station wagon they were like any other
family on vacation.
I wonder if Selleck did the same thing, would you recognize him in Yellowstone Park or visiting the Lincoln Memorial?
And if you did, would you own up to it? I think it would be more fun to go along with the disguise and pretend you didn’t know who it was.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu

#955 Post by Pahonu »

Pahonu wrote:
Pahonu,
and hunt and fish for 6 weeks. This partly made up for all the family time he lost while filming on location. The Mitchums would interact with the public just like
family on vacation.
Great story Dobie. I’d never heard it. Mitchum was always low-key and very pragmatic about his acting and acting in general. I can totally see him doing that. I was a fan. He died the day before Jimmy Stewart and his passing was sadly overshadowed, I always felt.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#956 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
Pahonu,
family on vacation.
Great story Dobie. I’d never heard it. Mitchum was always low-key and very pragmatic about his acting and acting in general. I can totally see him doing that. I was a fan. He died the day before Jimmy Stewart and his passing was sadly overshadowed, I always felt.
Pahonu,
20 years ago I was into reading movie stars biographies, THE best was about Mitchum, "Baby I Don't Care". From being a hobo riding the rails in
his youth to being a self taught intellectual and gifted poet who punched out the contender for the light heavyweight title, he was the most interesting
celeb I have ever read about. Before location filming was set to start in rural NC for a film about running moonshine, Mitch disappeared for a week causing
the studio to panic. He had made friends with the locals, one of whom invited him to drive, for real, one of their souped up cars that hauled moonshine
around the state. He actually drove the illicit cargo on solo runs, eluding the sheriff, while living with the mountain folk that made the booze.
This was no phony punk 'tough guy' rapper or action movie star, Mitch was the real deal.

Pahonu

#957 Post by Pahonu »

Pahonu wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
Pahonu,
family on vacation.
Pahonu,
20 years ago I was into reading movie stars biographies, THE best was about Mitchum, "Baby I Don't Care". From being a hobo riding the rails in
his youth to being a self taught intellectual and gifted poet who punched out the contender for the light heavyweight title, he was the most interesting
celeb I have ever read about. Before location filming was set to start in rural NC for a film about running moonshine, Mitch disappeared for a week causing
the studio to panic. He had made friends with the locals, one of whom invited him to drive, for real, one of their souped up cars that hauled moonshine
around the state. He actually drove the illicit cargo on solo runs, eluding the sheriff, while living with the mountain folk that made the booze.
This was no phony punk 'tough guy' rapper or action movie star, Mitch was the real deal.
Yes, Thunder Road! That was his actual son in the film.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#958 Post by T.Q. »

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#959 Post by terryfromkerry »

Thanks for posting TQ. Always nice to know our heros are actually genuinely good guys. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#960 Post by T.Q. »

Tom and my birthday today (I share the date with him).

76 for Tom.

50 (yikes that's hard to type) for me.

Happy Birthday Tom!

Pretty sure we both wish we were still FORTY.

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.