Interview with Rick / Larry Manetti / John Aberle WCHE 1520

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

FirewithFire
Ensign

Interview with Rick / Larry Manetti / John Aberle WCHE 1520

#1 Post by FirewithFire »

I just want to say thank you to J.J. for putting my interview up on the website. Magnum PI, has been a positive influence in my life. From the path I took in the military to the core values that I try to live by today. Back then I was looking for a role model, someone, something, that would give me direction and confidence in myself. I went from a tall skinny bullied kid who stuttered at 14 to a 6/4 225lbs USAF spec. ops airman at 20. I know what you’re thinking. Why didn’t he go into the Navy like Magnum did. Well, the USAF food is better, the living conditions for the average airman is really good compared to the rest of the services. Even if I didn’t get to live in them. The big bonus, we only take the brightest of those who take the ASVAB test. Seriously, I know it sounds strange to say that a TV show could have such a profound impact on one person’s life, but it did for me. I sometimes wonder who I would be today, if I had not found that repeat of Magnum in the summer of 1982.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Interview with Rick / Larry Manetti / John Aberle WCHE 1

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

FirewithFire wrote:I just want to say thank you to J.J. for putting my interview up on the website. Magnum PI, has been a positive influence in my life. From the path I took in the military to the core values that I try to live by today. Back then I was looking for a role model, someone, something, that would give me direction and confidence in myself. I went from a tall skinny bullied kid who stuttered at 14 to a 6/4 225lbs USAF spec. ops airman at 20. I know what you’re thinking. Why didn’t he go into the Navy like Magnum did. Well, the USAF food is better, the living conditions for the average airman is really good compared to the rest of the services. Even if I didn’t get to live in them. The big bonus, we only take the brightest of those who take the ASVAB test. Seriously, I know it sounds strange to say that a TV show could have such a profound impact on one person’s life, but it did for me. I sometimes wonder who I would be today, if I had not found that repeat of Magnum in the summer of 1982.
Pleasure having you here. I think many of us know the impact a well done TV program can have on our lives - decisions we make, styles we choose, etc. Sad to see that there are not many positive role models on TV these days. I wonder what long term impact that will have on society?

It's off-topic for Magnum, but pretty relevant to what I was just talking about. A recent NPR documentary - found here - shows how strong childless female protagonists featured on soap operas in Brazil have influenced an entire generation of women to have less children. Fascinating story.

Welcome aboard!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by AmandaByNight »

Wow, thanks for that link Styles.

I agree that Magnum has influenced so many of us. I did not go into the military, but the show definitely speaks to me on so many levels, and even now moreso since I've become the same age as the characters. 40 resonated with me the year before I hit the big four-oh, and I was thrilled and moved to have a story that I totally connected with.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Finally got to listen to the full interview. There are some great stories in there. Nice job John.

Larry talks about his favourite episode being "Little Sister," in which he and Selleck were nominated for an Emmy (and Selleck won). Not sure which episode he's talking about, was it Distant Relative? It's the only one I can think of with a little sister involved.

Larry seems to be a little steamed over Tom basically telling him that he didn't want him on Blue Bloods...although he doesn't come out and say it. I wonder if there's a rift in their relationship over that. I can see both sides on this. Tom has a popular show on TV again and he's doing something completely different from Magnum so I can see how he doesn't want to keep looking back. However, Larry hasn't been on many big projects at all since Magnum, so you'd think Tom could throw him a bone...

Sounds pretty grim for the Magnum movie too.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Seaver41 »

I learned having that little voice in your head isn't bad. :)

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Seaver41 »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Finally got to listen to the full interview. There are some great stories in there. Nice job John.

Larry talks about his favourite episode being "Little Sister," in which he and Selleck were nominated for an Emmy (and Selleck won). Not sure which episode he's talking about, was it Distant Relative? It's the only one I can think of with a little sister involved.

Larry seems to be a little steamed over Tom basically telling him that he didn't want him on Blue Bloods...although he doesn't come out and say it. I wonder if there's a rift in their relationship over that. I can see both sides on this. Tom has a popular show on TV again and he's doing something completely different from Magnum so I can see how he doesn't want to keep looking back. However, Larry hasn't been on many big projects at all since Magnum, so you'd think Tom could throw him a bone...

Sounds pretty grim for the Magnum movie too.
Larry needs to get over himself then. He's a big boy with his own career. If he's holding a grudge or resentful for not getting that bone, that's petty on his part........IMO. He got his bone already on Vegas.