The Tom Selleck Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#121 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

He lost to Robert Duval in "Broken Trail." I did not watch the awards show, but I found the results here:

http://www.emmys.org/awards/primetimeawards.php

I'm not familiar with "Broken Trail." Anyone here see it?

Sparkle&Fizz

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#122 Post by golfmobile »

No, Robert Duvall won for "Broken Trail," which was really deserved. Well, after looking at this picture, we know why TS is always so worried about money -- those extensions for Hannah's hair must have cost a small fortune. I'm not a parent, but I'm not sure I'd let my 18-year-old daughter dress like that and go out in public. Seems a bit too mature to me (but I'm an old fogey). I think an 18-year-old can look her age and still look glamorous and pretty without lookng quite so flashy. Is that the right word?

Good to see him with Jillie, though. I just saw one site on the internet that said they had gotten divorced -- obviously wrong. She had short red hair at the Meet the Robinsons premiere, if I recall the pictures correctly. Looks as though she has gone back to blonde and let it grow.

golf

P.S. I saw "Broken Trail." It was VERY good.
"Portside, buddy."

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#123 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

Thanks for the info on the Duval movie.

I work with college students, and find Hannah's outfit pretty tame for her age group. She's a copy of her mother with a little of TS's good looks to soften the features.

Maybe the money has gone to Jillie's upkeep?

:D

She looks MUCH better now than when she appeared on the show, and no, I'm not talking about the get ups her characters wore.

S&F
Last edited by Sparkle & Fizz on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#124 Post by golfmobile »

S&F,

Hannah certainly IS very pretty, and I agree that it's a good thing she got some TS in her to "soften" the JM "angles." But if you say the clothes are fine, I'll take your word for it. There just weren't any 18-year-olds looking like that when I was 18!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#125 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

It is a different age, isn't it?

Ah Hollywood!

S&F

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#126 Post by SelleckLover »

I too enjoyed Broken Trail, and Robert Duvall was fabulous in the role that he played. But I still think our Tom Terrific deserved to win...if not for his portrayal of Jesse Stone, but just for his longevity in a business that has a decidedly liberal bent. I think that costs Mr. Selleck some accolades and awards because he is slightly more than conservative politically than most of Hollywood. (That's why they call the west coast The Left Coast, isn't it?)

And golfmobile and S&F, did you have Purina Cat Chow for lunch today??? (LOL) Looks aren't everything! Take it from me, a not-so-desirable-looking person.
You get what you get from the gene pool and can't do much about it, besides plastic surgery that costs a fortune! :D

layne
Vice Admiral

#127 Post by layne »

They're a nice looking family. As for Hannah's appearance, I have a teenage daughter and Hannah appeared to look pretty typical (considering who her who her dad is!). I was expecting Robert Duvall to win-after all he is Robert Duvall. I did see Broken Trail and loved the movie, but I personally found Duvall's performance a bit "wooden". But that's just me. I was hoping Tom would win, but was not surprised when Duvall won.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#128 Post by golfmobile »

SL,

Okay, I am properly chastised! (Pass the Meow Mix!) I should be grateful, hypothetically, that someone as good-looking as he is could fall in love (and STAY in love) with someone who, forgive me, but it's true, no one would call "one of the beautiful people." Granted, there are a LOT of people that you "like the way they look" because it fits them (like Eleanor Roosevelt), but no one is ever going to call them beautiful. Ya know, the good-looking tend to find the good-looking (gag me with a spoon, Brad and Angie, ugh, ugh, ugh, but they are beautiful), particularly in Hollywood. But, in real life, I've always been one of the "plain" ones and EYE never got the handsome one . . . . who was usually a jerk anyway, but TS isn't.

Oh, never mind, I'm just envious, okay?

Does this make any sense? Or do I need another margarita?

But I really liked Duvall's performance in "Broken Trail." Remember cowboys are supposed to be stern and emotionless, the "strong, silent, noble" type. That came across. Duvall's been good in everything he's done since "To Kill A Mockingbird." TS is our fav, but he doesn't yet have the body of work that Duvall has. And, really, Jesse Stone is starting to depress me. TS has had better roles (e.g., Jimmy in "An Innocent Man" is WAY under-rated, in my opinion -- and don't even get me started on Quigley, as we've already done that one!).

Pass the lime and the salt shaker!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#129 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

Meow, Meow!

No claws intended . . . my hat is off to their 20 year Hollywood marriage, a teenage girl who does not appear to be in P. Hilton/Lindsey Lohan mode, and to looking better at 50 than at 30!

They seem to be a lovely family in EVERY way!

S&F

SelleckLover

#130 Post by SelleckLover »

Golf and S&F,

Sorry about this post, because it doesn't really have anything to do with Magnum PI, but I've got to get this off my chest!

All catty remarks aside, I guess this post leads us (to quote James Joyce) in a commodius vicus of recirculation back to me. As a simple illustrative example, I use my husband of 34 years and myself as a model. I am what golf calls a "plain" person, and I am perfectly happy with that distinction. I don't ever want to be something I am not. My husband on the other hand is EVERY bit as handsome as Mr. Selleck, and if there are people that don't know us, I'm sure they would profess that they would never dream in their wildest dreams that we would be married, let alone for 34 years (20 of them happily...j/k!)

I prefer to think that Mr. Selleck is probably a lot like my husband, or should I say my husband is like Mr. Selleck as Tom is 43 days older than he is. My husband has no idea that he is what people (women) call a "hottie". Frankly, he just wants to be a "regular" guy and he gets very uncomfortable around women that throw themselves at him, and can never understand what all the fuss is about! He is very humble and self-deprecating and he is not shallow or superficial in any way. Although his mother did buy him some hair dye once (much to my consternation) and he used it. The result was, in my opinion, horrible. (She liked it.)

What I 'm trying to say is, (and this is just my opinion): looks aren't everything!

Thanks for letting me get this out of my system!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#131 Post by golfmobile »

SL,

For what it's worth, I'm "plain" too -- I just never got the "hottie" . . . .

Should I change my user name to "sourgrapes"?

:?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover

#132 Post by SelleckLover »

golf,
No, I don't think you should change your user name to "sourgrapes". LOL
I think whether someone's a hottie or not, would depend on what one's definition of a "hottie" was. I don't consider looks all that important and I would love my husband even if he had a face like a cuckoo clock. To me, a male "hottie" would be a man committed to his relationship, kind, gentle, honest, loves animals and children, doesn't cheat and someone whose mother taught him never to leave the toilet seat up! (Well, that last one was just to inject a little humor into this post!)

I don't think that any woman is "losing out" by not being with what you call a "hottie", simply because looks don't really matter. I will tell you, it CAN be icing on the cake, but if my husband's looks were altered in any way, through an accident or something of that nature, I would still love him just the same.

Thanks golf, for the stimulating topic of conversation!

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#133 Post by Kahunagirl »

If anyone is interested, there are some great new photos of TS in his new Las Vegas role out at: http://lasvegas-theseries.com/

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#134 Post by golfmobile »

Kahunagirl,

Thanks! And welcome to Magnum-Mania, though I suppose our Fearless Leader James has the authority to issue an official welcome.

But thank you for that link. It was fun to look at the trailer for the new season. Personally, I'll be TiVo'ing it.

Interesting that there was no mention in the promos about the "reunion" with TS, Moseley, and Manetti. But WE know, so we'll all be watching, right???

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#135 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

Thanks for letting us know about that site!

S&F