The Tom Selleck Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#301 Post by Miss Q »

Golf,

I am not sure its reputable, but I found it...

http://www.skaryguyvideo.com/daughterso ... QQod5GiTuA
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#302 Post by golfmobile »

Miss Q,

How interesting! Fortunately, since Carmen made a DVD for me, I no longer need it. However, if I didn't already have it, I would buy that. But Carmen's DVD was fine, not at all like recorded from TV, as in when you can tell when something has been put on VHS tape and that resolution movie was put on DVD.

But Tom was pretty good in it, even with such a bad script. He can do anything, even bad stuff. It wasn't his fault the movie itself was crap.

I think it was on imdb, I'm not sure, but someone who gave the movie itself a bad review still said that TS was his usual likeable self, whatever that means. I'm really glad I saw it, and I did watch it intently, but maybe that was because I was looking for MPI correlations, a lot of which I found (see pictures above).

golf
"Portside, buddy."

eeyore
Admiral

#303 Post by eeyore »

Are the images in MaggiePoole's post broken or is it just me?
:)

Carmen
MPI

#304 Post by Carmen »

Are the images in MaggiePoole's post broken or is it just me?
they work for me, but yesterday even the avatars where gone, kind of spooky :wink:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

eeyore
Admiral

#305 Post by eeyore »

I suppose I should try another computer and see what happens. My work computer must have certain types of images blocked. It happens on email from certain companies, ie Victoria's Secret, At work the images are broken but not at home! :)

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#306 Post by Miss Q »

I cant view most images at work either, but when I get home it works just fine....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#307 Post by Kahunagirl »

Found this article at weekendpost.co.za
Selleck like a fine wine in Stone series

MAGNUM PI put Tom Selleck on the TV map in the 1980s. Playing a private detective, the hit TV show ran for eight seasons and 162 episodes. Selleck (who turned down the role of Indiana Jones to play Magnum) became famous for his moustache, gaudy Hawaiian-style aloha shirts and a sexy red Ferrari 308 GTS as he solved murders every Saturday night with a charming, goofy grin and his merry band of misfit chums.

Not the greatest of actors, the typecast Selleck tried his hand at the silver screen in a few silly movies that bombed ... and then he disappeared from the radar. But like a good wine Selleck has matured with age. And, as it turns out, he‘s actually a superb, subtle actor as he demonstrated in his touching and authentic portrayal of General Dwight Eisenhower in 2004‘s made-for-TV movie Ike: Countdown to D-Day. The film shows the planning, politics, and preparation for the 1944 invasion of Normandy.

And now he‘s back in Stone Cold, Death in Paradise, Night Passage and Sea Change, a series of gritty crime thrillers now being aired on DStv.

Selleck‘s brooding portrayal of Jesse Stone – a troubled, boozing cop wrestling with inner demons – is fast becoming a favourite amongst TV critics. And justifiably so ... because the series magnificently underlines what an excellent actor Selleck can be. The Stone series isn‘t a shoot ‘em up, car chasing, hi-tech DNA-solving glamour show. Rather it‘s a slow, beautifully filmed, finely crafted series of clever, intricate plots.

And so my tip for this week is: Do yourself a favour and watch out for the Stone series. And if you don‘t have DStv or if you‘ve missed the first couple of episodes, pop along to your DVD outlet and rent the series. While you‘re at it, why not rent Ike: Countdown to D-Day? There is a maturity about the acting and Selleck is superb – a tribute to the seriousness with which he took the task of playing a hero who had an immense impact on history.
Kahunagirl

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#308 Post by Lily »

Thanks KG for finding the article! Nice words re TS portrayal of Jesse Stone. Have just bought Stone Cold and am really looking forward to watching it. Indeed, TS is just like a good wine.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#309 Post by J.J. Walters »

I like the props for Jesse Stone and all, but the weekendpost.co.za article has several glaring errors.

- As Magnum constantly reminds us, it's "Investigator", not "Detective"!
- He didn't really "turn down" the role of Indy. His contract with MPI pretty much forced his hand.
- The majority of MPI seasons aired on Thursday night, not Saturday. The show is synonymous with Thursday night TV.
- I'd say his acting was pretty good in the MPI days.
- "Merry band of misfit chums"? I would hardly call Higgins, T.C., Rick, Carol, Agatha, etc. misfits!

;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#310 Post by golfmobile »

"Merry band of misfit chums"? I would hardly call Higgins, T.C., Rick, Carol, Agatha, etc. misfits!
Sorry, James, but I would (though T.C. and Carol come the closest to normal).

golf
"Portside, buddy."

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#311 Post by MPS »

Thanks for poating the article, Kahunagirl. My very first DVD of the Jesse Stone series is arriving today, with Season 8 of MPI!

Since I appear to be the only person on the site who hasn't seen TS as Jesse Stone, it was great to read the review :D
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#312 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:
"Merry band of misfit chums"? I would hardly call Higgins, T.C., Rick, Carol, Agatha, etc. misfits!
Sorry, James, but I would (though T.C. and Carol come the closest to normal).

golf
mis·fit (mĭs'fĭt', mĭs-fĭt')
n.
2. One who is unable to adjust to one's environment or circumstances or is considered to be disturbingly different from others.

I was originally thinking of the "maladjustment" part of "misfit" (they all certainly seem very well adjusted to their surroundings), but the second part of "misfit", the "disturbingly different from others" part, I can certainly see for Higgins and Agatha. Still, that's like, what, 2 "misfits" out of 10. Not much of a "merry band". Heh.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#313 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

James,

Maybe we can says Magnum's friends are eclectic? I think that would be a fitting description.

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#314 Post by grapeshot »

Using the term "merry misfits" is the laziest sort of writing imaginable. The phrase has grown hoary with age. It could equally fit Monty Python, McHale's crew, the Not Ready For Prime Time Players, most of the staff at WKRP, or the law offices of Crane, Poole & Schmidt. However, it in no way adequately describes Magnum and his circle of friends, who I would consider neither silly nor zany.

Although it's gratifying to see the Jesse Stone movies get a good recommendation, the superficiality of this article is the sort of thing that continues to give the print media a bad name. If the author of this article truly thinks that Selleck's past work was "silly", then how credible is the author's recommendation for the Jesse Stone movies?

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

BLOOPERS!

#315 Post by SelleckLover »

I found this on Amazon.com...it looks like a DVD of celebrity bloopers with our own TS on it! Scroll down to item #55.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1220326085/ ... eck&page=5

I might buy it just to see what's on it. Heck, it was given a 3 1/2 stars rating! Just thought I'd share! :D
Last edited by SelleckLover on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.