Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Unfinished Business (8.8)

#136 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:04 am
Pahonu wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:16 am
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:26 am
Pahonu wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:38 am
charybdis1966 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:20 pm

Exactly what I thought. It didn’t sound like a real person writing that comment. There’s another one another thread.
There are actually about 10-12 now, with 4 coming today. I notified Styles to see if he might block that username.
Forgive my ignorance. But would AI do this on it's own, which baffles me, what is the point? And if at the behest of a human, what is the point?
The world is getting deeply weird.
I don’t know that these responses are generated by AI as much as created by AI to be posted by an outside source. As an educator, I pretty quickly recognized these types of posts. I can’t comment on the rising weirdness of the current world, but share your concern.
Pahonu,
After you pointed it out I went back and reread the post in question, the AI clearly mimicking a movie review in the language it employed, but the words are empty and sterile.
Sterile being be the operative word for AI.
You said "as an educator" and I thought were I you, I would throw any student using AI out of my class as he/she is announcing he has no interest in an education
and that any time spent on him is a waste of my time, better spent with those there to learn.
With almost all my other assignments being online now, I still have students write each of their two semester essays on paper, or “old school style” we call it now, rather fittingly I think. LOL Their phones are all up in a holder hanging from the whiteboard and they have the packet with historical documents, a paper I give them, and a pen or pencil. They get 90 minutes in class. I allow them to collaborate on daily assignments anyway, so when I see similar answers I often find they are two students sitting near each other. That’s fine with me.

It’s funny how easy it actually is to recognize AI generated content. It really is sterile and lacking any kind of voice. It also typically makes glaring errors in context, yet is grammatically perfect. They did a story on this topic that we watched on CNN10. It had professors at several universities describing how easy it was to recognize AI content. They were 100% accurate in doing so when given multiple documents to read. I told the kids to take note of that result, even though they write on paper in my class.

One of the AI comments on the forum mistook someone’s suggestion for a potential casting choice. The comment gave a glowing review of the performance that never happened. It was grammatically perfect, with wonderful vocabulary… and ridiculous.